Advertisement

Rocketeer Adventures 2 #1 (Up to the skies! Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 104 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Rocketeer Adventures 2 #1 (Up to the skies! Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:01 am

IDW bring back Dave Stevens’ iconic hero for another anthology series that on the basis of this issue, looks set to be just as great a tribute as the first one. They really are bringing out the big guns and giving us some fantastic art to look at, and a lot of variety too. The first story comes from Marc Guggenheim and Sandy Plunkett, and while the story is a little trite, the artwork was fantastic in how it emulated Stevens’ style. Peter David and Bill Sienkiewicz then contribute an absolutely spot-on Looney Tunes parody as Daffy Duck becomes ‘The Ducketeer’ in a story that’s basically Duck Dodgers. PAD’s jokes were very accurate to what you would get in a real Looney Tunes, and whilst Sienkiewicz’s art is not as clean as a real cartoon, it worked really well. The final story was written and drawn by Stan Sakai, and it was a cool, subtle semi-team-up between the Rocketeer and Superman. I didn’t catch the link at first, but at the end it was really quite sweet. Add in an awesome pin-up from Art Adams (including a dinosaur and Betty in a bikini) and a brilliant cover by Darwyn Cooke that brings to mind WW2 propaganda posters, this was a fantastic package and as I said, a great tribute to a fantastic creator and his character. I’m a little iffy on the idea of new full-length stories, even if they are from Mark Waid, this anthology is all you really need I think.

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand