Advertisement

Is It Sad How Little We Talk About DC Nowadays?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 192 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Re: Is It Sad How Little We Talk About DC Nowadays?

Postby nietoperz » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:06 pm

BatWatch wrote:
That's what, more than anything else, kills me about the reboot. All the successful elements of the reboot were things that did not benefit from the reboot. Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, New Lantern titles, new Batman titles...all of these things could have been done in the old universe. Things that actually changed like Green Arrow, Superman, and Teen Titans have suffered because of it.

Agreed. And the big reason why this is so is that the latter titles are the ones where DC have decided not just to start again with new continuity, but to effectively reboot the characters as well, which is never particularly bright when said characters have fans and have also stood the test of time.

Advertisement

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Internet Celebrity

Postby MoneyMelon » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:45 pm

nietoperz wrote:
Agreed. And the big reason why this is so is that the latter titles are the ones where DC have decided not just to start again with new continuity, but to effectively reboot the characters as well, which is never particularly bright when said characters have fans and have also stood the test of time.

I agree. Those characters have been extremely popular. Teen Titans had a popular cartoon, Green Arrow has been around for a long time and has had some great runs, Superman is one of the most recognizable characters in fiction, etc. the concepts didn't need to be overhauled. They just needed some compelling stories like what DC has done with Wonder Woman, Aquaman, The Flash, etc. They really threw the baby out with the bath water. It's a shame.

I just hope at least Scott Snyder's Man of Steel sidesteps a lot of the nonsense they've added to Superman.

I'm not against characters changing and evolving, but a lot of these changes were just change for the sake of change and a lot of the good concepts were forgotten along the way.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 98 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:20 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:

I'm not against characters changing and evolving, but a lot of these changes were just change for the sake of change and a lot of the good concepts were forgotten along the way.

Yes, like having Jimmy Olsen look like Justin Bieber. Yikes!

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 197 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:42 pm

BatWatch wrote:

:) Fair enough I suppose. I've always been rather Batman centric, and I've enver become too attached to Marvel properties except for Runaways and Exiles, but even though I'm firmly in the DC camp, I don't care for their recent decisions much myself...especially the recent hirings and firings. Something very odd is going on there.

I myself was a HUGE Batman and Green Lantern fan. Before the reboot/relaunch my pull originally had just about a good quarter of the Bat Family (Tec, Red Robin, Batgirl, Batman Inc, & Birds of Prey) and just GLC (I got burned out by Johns' Hal around Blackest Night). The moment that relaunch hit it wiped clean every character I was interested in. Black Canary, Oracle, Batgirl V, the Black Bat, Red Robin, Knight/Squire, Huntress II, Lady Blackhawk, and technically Dick Grayson as Batman. All gone, even though DC said at the start "all the Bat history remained intact." The only character who survived this purge that I enjoyed was the Shade (alas I knew Kyle was going to get his history redone the moment this happened to make HAL look all the greater. I hate being right).

Well now we know the truth of that answer. Not a single one of these characters remained or were the same by this new 52. which is a damned shame because they are all really strong characters. Yes some became redundant (Misfit and Black Alice I'm looking at you), but they were still amazing characters. It's a shame we lost all these great characters at the cost of DC trying to make a quick and easy dollar.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 65 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:41 pm

Great post. And how long will the new fans stick around?

BatWatch
underclassman

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Surprisingly Delicious

Postby BatWatch » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:00 pm

nietoperz wrote:

True. (long sigh) It's really not a good time to be a DC fan. The more I keep my fingers on the pulse of DC, the more I get the impression things are breaking down on the editorial level.

Zechs wrote:

It's especially painful since it will probably fail. I mean, I'm right there with you on attachment to most of those characters and their histories, but at least for my part, I would be able to handle the disappointment a little better if DC had managed to take this reboot and really turned things around. I would be able to say, “You know, this ticks me off, but it is keeping the medium going, so I guess that has merit, but I'm pretty sure DC is about to have a massive fail on their hands. I mean, they are already losing readership, but that only makes sense during the unveiling of Marvel Now! The question is whether DC's number will pick back up when Now! Becomes then...and I don't think DC has much chance of that. I think that 2011 will be the only year they truly profit from the DCNU.

I am a huge pre-Flashpoint Tim Drake fan, but I can't stand the little...douche now. I do not even consider him a hero. Very disappointing.
For more news, reviews, and commentary for Batman and the entire Bat Family, check out BatWatch.net
http://www.BatWatch.net

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 311 posts

Postby Draco x » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:06 pm

bkthomson wrote:I think the biggest hit was the decline of the Superman books it seems more directionless and has too many start stops that it just does not seem that it is getting much attention. Also I do not fell that Grants book is really superman as much as a superman year one mini.

So agreed there. I mean who really has an interest in seeing Lois and Clark go back to being unmarried again or having Lois's sister Lucy-who had years of character progression when she got married and had a child-get reverted into an annoying bitch or retconning Luthor's origin for the upteenth time? The only interesting thing so far was Superman's encounter with Helspont( Although he and the other WS characters need to go back to their own universe asap).

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand