Monday, June 27, 2016 • Afternoon Edition • "Hope you survive the experience!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

A Sandman thread

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:53 am

I think Lucifer's consistent art really helps it, and it's certainly better at making its title character the protagonist rather than a guy who pops up at the end and tries to kill Rose. Definitely prefer Sandman though.
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:01 pm

Keb wrote:And Matthew Cabel makes his first appearance as a raven.


Oh yeah, I didn't remember that.
User avatar

LobsterJ

Expert Post Whore

Postby LobsterJ » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:21 pm

I prefer Lucifer, as well. Damn shame it doesn't get nearly as much praise as it deserves. It tells a remarkably consistent and satisfying story from the outset, whereas with Sandman you can see Gaiman groping in the first few arcs for what the story is ultimately going to end up being.
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:57 pm

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Constantine makes a reference to Swamp Thing in the issue he's in but I can't remember.
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:22 pm

LobsterJ wrote:I prefer Lucifer, as well. Damn shame it doesn't get nearly as much praise as it deserves. It tells a remarkably consistent and satisfying story from the outset, whereas with Sandman you can see Gaiman groping in the first few arcs for what the story is ultimately going to end up being.


I know I must buy those Lucifer tpbs Vertigo is publishing now. I love Mike Carey, so I'm sure I'd enjoy Lucifer.
User avatar

Schlemmer

Rain Partier

Postby Schlemmer » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:43 pm

I'm almost done reading American Gods, and when I'm done with that, I plan on reading Sandman start to finish

I'm way behind :oops:
User avatar

achilles

Fagorstorm

Postby achilles » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:17 pm

Never read Sandman Mystery Theatre. Which is odd, since I'm a fan of the genre.

My trade budget is sort of small at the moment, what trades should I get?
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:03 pm

achilles wrote:Never read Sandman Mystery Theatre. Which is odd, since I'm a fan of the genre.

My trade budget is sort of small at the moment, what trades should I get?


I only have one of the spinoffs, Sandman Mystery Theatre: Sleep of Reason. I do not recommend it.
User avatar

achilles

Fagorstorm

Postby achilles » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:06 am

Arion wrote:
I only have one of the spinoffs, Sandman Mystery Theatre: Sleep of Reason. I do not recommend it.


That's a bit worrying, since a quick look on Amazon shows way too many trades to just buy randomly.
User avatar

Chesscub

WTF is this rank?

Postby Chesscub » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:21 am

achilles wrote:
That's a bit worrying, since a quick look on Amazon shows way too many trades to just buy randomly.


I'd go with "The Tarantula" and "The Face and The Brute" They're the first two and some of the most awesome artwork in the series.
User avatar

LobsterJ

Expert Post Whore

Postby LobsterJ » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:42 am

achilles wrote:
That's a bit worrying, since a quick look on Amazon shows way too many trades to just buy randomly.


I don't know if you consider the library system too socialistic, but if you live in a bigger state you can use inter-library loan to read tons of trades. Most big cities have libraries with decent collections now. I've read tons of good shit over the past few years at zero cost to myself.
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:21 pm

LobsterJ wrote:
I don't know if you consider the library system too socialistic, but if you live in a bigger state you can use inter-library loan to read tons of trades. Most big cities have libraries with decent collections now. I've read tons of good shit over the past few years at zero cost to myself.

ITT: lobster doesn't pay taxes :P
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:35 pm

achilles wrote:
That's a bit worrying, since a quick look on Amazon shows way too many trades to just buy randomly.


If you have a library nearby I advice you to take a look at what they have, that might be helpful.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:25 pm

Just read The Dream Hunters, it was really good, especially when the more overt Sandman elements come into it.

The story was a fairly standard fairytale, but it was great to return to these characters.

Amano's art was fucking amazing too, so beautiful. Is the P. Craig Russell comics adaption worth reading?
User avatar

bkthomson

Rain Partier

Postby bkthomson » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:53 pm

Chesscub wrote:
I'd go with "The Tarantula" and "The Face and The Brute" They're the first two and some of the most awesome artwork in the series.

Agree. These are the trades to start with, great series.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Glaeken, TheBlackDenzel and 61 guests