Advertisement

SDCC: Marvel to Bring Back Stephanie Brown?!

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 281 posts

Postby LOLtron » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:21 pm

In a new event comic called "You Snooze, You Lose," Marvel will bring back toxic DC character Stephanie Brown.

Source: ComicVine

At the Cup O' Joe Panel at San Diego Comic Con today, a funny moment occured when a fan told the panel that she had converted to Marvel from DC. Asked if she felt better by the panel, she answered affirmatively. The panel then said, "You want us to bring back Stephanie Brown? You got it!"

Unfortunately, crowd hopes were dampened when it was announced that Brown would be killed by Wolverine in the following event comic, Crisis of Inifinite Ages of Wolverine.

Over on DC's side, the company is reportedly handing out free Kindles to anyone who asks about Brown in an attempt to buy their silence. At the Zero Year Panel, DC hot shot Scott Snyder actually mentioned the taboo characters Brown and Cassandra Cain, saying that he really wanted to use them, but can't right now and has no future plans to.

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

SporkBot
cheese

Liked in: 285 posts
Title: Stupidity Immolator

Re: SDCC: Marvel to Bring Back Stephanie Brown?!

Postby SporkBot » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:01 pm

And I just died a little more...

Good as Snyder is, I still worry DC is going to force him to write something completely idiotic in relation to Cain or Brown. Pisses me right expletive off. I do not trust that company with those two characters.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 248 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:06 pm

SporkBot wrote:And I just died a little more...

Good as Snyder is, I still worry DC is going to force him to write something completely idiotic in relation to Cain or Brown. Pisses me right expletive off. I do not trust that company with those two characters.

Nah they'll give it to Lobdell. I do like the man, but he just signs off on editorial driven way too easily. I'd kill for a Snyder Cass mini or one shot. That was what his original proposal for Gates of Gotham was, a Cassandra Cain mini. I agree though with Higgins/editorial that the story worked so much better though as a Bat Family (with Dick, Tim, Damian, and Cass all working together) story. It was a fitting end to that era of characters (Dick as Bats, Tim and Cass at least character wise since neither have been spotted since the mini).

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

SporkBot
cheese

Postby SporkBot » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:16 pm

Zechs wrote:
Nah they'll give it to Lobdell.

Nope, didn't need that last shred of hope. Not at all...

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:17 pm

I think DC just likes to troll Steph/Cass fans at this point. I have no doubt they'll be brought back at some point. Toxicity doesn't last long when it comes to superhero comics.

SporkBot
cheese

Postby SporkBot » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:29 pm

I think DC is to Cass/Steph as Joe Quesada is to the events of O.M.I.T.: They know that readers have questions, and they want the explanations. However, they won't actually bother to craft those answers until five minutes before they send the scripts to the artists.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:33 pm

superfictious wrote:I think DC just likes to troll Steph/Cass fans at this point. I have no doubt they'll be brought back at some point. Toxicity doesn't last long when it comes to superhero comics.

Unless you're a Cassandra Cain fan. Ever since 2003 DC Editors have had a vendetta against the character. First canceling her ongoing since they viewed "two" female Bats too much for the market. Then they made her evil. Then they didn't. Then they gave her to Chuck Dixon who did alright with her. Then they gave her to Adam Beechen.

It's like little pockets of hope you think DC have learned their lesson and finally adjusted, then this person or editor who's so vindictive of the character decides to ruin it. This is just the current slate of a long history of neglect DC has done with the character.

Same goes for Stephanie too.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:39 pm

IDK, Hawkman and other similar characters were pretty toxic until they weren't. I agree that certain editors really, really dislike the two characters we're talking about, but at some point, probably in another year or so, a big fan will be brought in as a writer and have the influence to bring them back.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 949 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:49 pm

DC Comics does Ten Little Bats with the Bat-Family of Characters.

Bruce Wayne
Dick Grayson
Kathy Kane
Bette Kane
Barbara Gordon
Jason Todd
Tim Drake
Stephanie Brown
Cassandra Cain
Kate Kane
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:51 pm

superfictious wrote:IDK, Hawkman and other similar characters were pretty toxic until they weren't. I agree that certain editors really, really dislike the two characters we're talking about, but at some point, probably in another year or so, a big fan will be brought in as a writer and have the influence to bring them back.

It already happened. If Scott Snyder can't get to use Cassandra Cain and he's the #1 writer for DC currently and they still won't let him use the character, well then the Editors or whomever are nasty souls who have a limited vision.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

Spektre
Swedish Pinata of Death

Liked in: 262 posts

Postby Spektre » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:54 pm

I am seriously curious here.

Why this big push to "bring back" Stephanie? or Wally, or Donna, or anyone else we haven't "seen" yet? Without the return of the DCU and their various continuities, they won't be "Stephanie", or "Wally", or "Donna", but merely people who share their names. Do you just like the sound of these particular names?

"Superman" is "back", but this character is no more recognizable as Superman than a host of other characters they could be writing about.

Did you folks fall in love with a name, and thus as long as ANYONE comes back that has the name of a beloved character you are fine with it?
- Continuity is or it is not. There is no such thing as soft continuity.
- A character IS his continuity.
- Continuity is consistency of the characteristics of people, plot, objects, and places seen by the reader or viewer.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:58 pm

Spektre wrote:I am seriously curious here.

Why this big push to "bring back" Stephanie? or Wally, or Donna, or anyone else we haven't "seen" yet? Without the return of the DCU and their various continuities, they won't be "Stephanie", or "Wally", or "Donna", but merely people who share their names. Do you just like the sound of these particular names?

"Superman" is "back", but this character is no more recognizable as Superman than a host of other characters they could be writing about.

Did you folks fall in love with a name, and thus as long as ANYONE comes back that has the name of a beloved character you are fine with it?

They know that, but they also know they want the character with the rosy colored world that isn't buried in GRIM DARK like 96.9% of DC books are currently today.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

Spektre
Swedish Pinata of Death

Liked in: 262 posts

Postby Spektre » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:21 pm

Zechs wrote:
They know that, but they also know they want the character with the rosy colored world that isn't buried in GRIM DARK like 96.9% of DC books are currently today.

I agree, but instead of the call then for "Steph" or "Wally" why not get tot eh heart of the matter and say "We want the DCU back, not this New 52 crap"?
- Continuity is or it is not. There is no such thing as soft continuity.
- A character IS his continuity.
- Continuity is consistency of the characteristics of people, plot, objects, and places seen by the reader or viewer.

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 721 posts

Postby HNutz » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:34 pm

Spektre wrote:I am seriously curious here.

Yeah, these days I actually get a little worried when I hear that DC is bringing back a character.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:11 pm

Spektre wrote:
I agree, but instead of the call then for "Steph" or "Wally" why not get tot eh heart of the matter and say "We want the DCU back, not this New 52 crap"?

Because then it make everything that has happened the last two years a waste of time.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand