Monday, October 22, 2018 • Morning Edition • "Exclusive! Exclusive! Hggulghhlgghhlghhlghh!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

SDCC: 'Stargirl' Joins The 'DC Universe'

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron

Rain Partier

Postby LOLtron » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:42 pm

Courtney Whitmore gets her own show

Source: The Next DC Universe Streaming Show Will Be Stargirl

Writer Geoff Johns announced at San Diego Comic-Con (SDCC) that a Stargirl show will be joining the DC Universestreaming service's lineup of programming. Not the Doris Lee Stargirl, but the Courtney Whitmore Stargirl which Johns had a hand in creating.

Prior to appearing as Stargirl in the comics, Courtney Whitmore was the second Star-Spangled Kid, written by Johns in 1999. She eventually gets Starman's Star Rod, assumes the identity of Stargirl and joins the Justice Society of America.

This new show is presumably a live-action show, and wouldn't be the first time Stargirl would appear in a live-action show. It does seem that this would be a new iteration though. The 13-episode series would be:

"… following the adventures of Courtney Whitmore, the original Stargirl, as she inspires an unlikley group of young heroes to come together and form the original superhero team, the Justice Society of America."

You probably wouldn't have to worry too much about her telling anyone to f-off like in Titans, as Johns says that younger-skewing version of the character. For Stargirl, Johns promised a lighter, PG-13 tone.

Wait, what age group was his Green Lantern comics aimed at?

A start date for Stargirl hasn't been revealed yet.

EDIT: Added official tweet regarding the show:

Written or Contributed by sdsichero

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:52 pm

No, just no. Fire Johns entirely from DC and WB, and get rid of his production contracts. I'm tired of his pushing his favorite characters and burying those he does like. I have no desire to see another monument to his ego, I don't care if it's an homage to his sister or not. She was fine in the comics, but this just smacks of everything I hate about Johns, pushing her even more.

Belle-Tain Summer

Garbage Collector

Postby Belle-Tain Summer » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:58 pm

I wonder how DC will be screwing this one up?

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:26 pm

Doris Lee! Well done, sd. :D

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:28 pm

achilles wrote:No, just no. Fire Johns entirely from DC and WB, and get rid of his production contracts. I'm tired of his pushing his favorite characters and burying those he does like. I have no desire to see another monument to his ego, I don't care if it's an homage to his sister or not. She was fine in the comics, but this just smacks of everything I hate about Johns, pushing her even more.

And from the other side of the coin...

This makes sense, both creatively and on the business side.

DC Super-Heroes Girls is a proven success but that's aimed at pre-teen girls. Getting that lucrative "teen" girls cash is next and there aren't many female heroes not already out there. Courtney is a great choice.

And Courtney is a great character with loads of possibilities. I'm quite curious about what she'll have for her supporting cast. I'd love to see a live action Stripesy.

And yes I am biased in this. My little girl turns 13 next week. :-D

Johnny Smith

biny little tird

Postby Johnny Smith » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:44 pm

This is a good move by DC :-D

Glaeken

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Glaeken » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:37 pm

And the dreams of a Megan Hilty Power Girl series are dashed once again.

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:51 pm

Belle-Tain Summer wrote:I wonder how DC will be screwing this one up?

Maybe she will have a star on her ass? But give them time. When it comes to DC, they are bound to screw it up since costume design is not one of their better points.

leave a comment with facebook