Advertisement

SDCC: DC The New 52 Panel

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 241 posts

Postby LOLtron » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:26 am

Find out what's new in the New 52!

Source: CBR and Bleeding Cool

While there wasn't a Bob Harras or Dan Didio sighting at the panel (though it's possible the former was lurking in the shadows of the room ready to suck the soul out of any innocent fan that dared to cross his path), DC Head of Marketing Brian Cunningham moderated a New 52 panel and was joined by panelists Geoff Johns, Gail Simone, Jeff Lemire, James Tyrion IV, Tony Daniel, JH Williams III, Charles Soule, Robert Venditti, and Jimmy Palmiotti.  Here's the nuggets the panel discussed:

- Geoff Johns jokes around saying they had spoiled the ending to Trinity War with the next event Forever Evil.  Johns then goes on to say that he and Lemire wanted to focus on the mystery of the death of Dr. Light than a superhero brawl.

- Talk shifts to Aquaman for a tiny bit with no new knowledge learned. Lemire then says that that after October DC moves onto "the second era."  It was mentioned that all threats from the first two years of the New 52 will be wrapped up in coming months.

- Tony Daniels then begins to talk about Superman/Wonder Woman. Just talk on how he came on the book out of the blue, and Charles Soule has amazing ideas for the book. The first issue will have a three-page gatefold cover and one part of that will tease events to come in the book.

- A cover to #23 of Green Arrow is shown and Lemire talks about his "Season 2" of the book which has Arrow Clan versus the Outsiders along with Shado, Butcher, and Count Vertigo. It's all building up to the return to the island.

- Jimmy Palmiotti begins to talk about the new Harley Quinn ongoing revealed before SDCC. Jimmy Palmiotti talks on the approuch he and Amanda Conner will go with the book. That they'll show what makes Harley tick and everyone near her should be terrified of her.

Palmoitti then talks of the other two books he's on: All-Star Western and Batwing. For the former he's enjoying the timey wimey approuch and stay tuned for an appearance of the Mutants from The Dark Knight Returns. On the later book, he talks about the new Batwing, Luke Fox going on a globe-trotting journey.  

- No new Batgirl v. 4 news. The Movement on the other hand, writer Gail Simone talks of Rainmaker joining the cast and then teased a major player of the New 52 will guest star in the future.

- A cover to Nightwing comes up with Simone reacting: "DAT ASS!!!" Kyle Higgins, the writer for the series remarks that he wanted Dick's ass to be more shiny for the cover. The Prankster arc comes to a head in #24 and Dick's relationship with Barbara will highlight Annual. No information or anything teased of what will happen to Dick during Forever Evil.

- James Tyrion IV talks Red Hood & the Outlaws and Talon. Both books are undergoing HUGE moments. Talon #12 will have Batman show up due to the Court of the Owls antics in Gotham.

- Charles Soule and Robert Venditti talk about Red Lanterns and Green Lantern. Venditti goes on with Hal being burdened with new responsiblities and we see him struggling since he's a pilot, not a sergent. Soule talks about Guy Gardner back with the red ring and how at first he struggles controling the anger. After he does he decides to build a house on Ysmaul since it's a barren wasteland.

- Soule goes on to talk about Swamp Thing and the character of the Seeder currently in the book. Expect the heel turn for the character to occur in Swamp Thing Annual and #24  in October. He then switches to his other DC book, Superman/Wonder Woman likening their relationship to Han Solo/Leia Organa. #6 will be a BIG moment for the book.

- Ray Fawkes then talks of Constantine and Pandora aka the "two wild cards" of Trinity War.  Pandora is looking to fix all the mistakes of the world. On the other hand Constantine will do something VERY BAD to Shazam in an attempt to steal his power. 

There was no Q&A at the panel due lack of time.  Make of that what you will.  

Written or Contributed by Zechs

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: SDCC: DC The New 52 Panel

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:38 am

So, Matt Kindt was on the panel but he never said anything or had a question directed to him? :?

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:43 am

Victorian Squid wrote:So, Matt Kindt was on the panel but he never said anything or had a question directed to him? :?

Zechs got that one wrong. He wasn't on the panel.

Damnit, let me see if there's anything else.

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 611 posts

Postby HNutz » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:59 am

LOLtron wrote:Geoff Johns jokes around saying they had spoiled the ending to Trinity War with the next event Forever Evil.

Someone's being evil?
Eclipso?

Johns then goes on to say that he and Lemire wanted to focus on the mystery of the death of Dr. Light than a superhero brawl.

I like how they're not necessarily taking the AvX approach.

Lemire then says that that after October DC moves onto "the second era."  It was mentioned that all threats from the first two years of the New 52 will be wrapped up in coming months.

Is this a good thing? I'm not 100% sure.

James Tyrion IV talks Red Hood & the Outlaws and Talon. Both books are undergoing HUGE moments. Talon #12 will have Batman show up due to the Court of the Owls antics in Gotham.

With the talk of wrapping up all threats from the first 2 years, what does that mean for the Court of Owls & Talon? Are they out of the picture?

On the other hand Constantine will do something VERY BAD to Shazam in an attempt to steal his power.

Uh... "very bad" like "violence" or "very bad" like "I'm Chris Hanson... why don't you have a seat? You know he's only 16 years old, right?"... I'm a little worried.

There was no Q&A at the panel due lack of time.  Make of that what you will.

"Lack of time". Rrrrrrrright...

They KNEW Zechs was there.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 133 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:59 am

Considering that all DC Q&A sessions end up being questions about Stephanie Brown, Cassandra Cain, Wally, Donna, etc. That may be a good thing. If only because the whole cat and mouse game between DC and con-goers has gotten pretty boring.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:05 am

BlueStreak wrote:
Zechs got that one wrong. He wasn't on the panel.

Damnit, let me see if there's anything else.

I am actually glad he wasn't on the panel. :D

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 366 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:37 am

Other impartial sources stated:

The audience cheered as the image for “Batgirl” #24 appeared and Simone praised her new art team on the book, showing a page of Barbara learning how to shoot a gun from her father.

“We have a story coming up, ‘Batgirl Wanted:’ in Commissioner Gordon’s mind Batgirl killed his son, and he has to hunt her down,” Simone continued. “It’s breaking my heart too to see them go through this..

Williams took the microphone for “Batwoman,” explaining that he and his co-writer Haden Black are playing a “long-game” with the story in “Batwoman.” The next issues will bring in an established Bat-villian as well as examine the support system and family surrounding Batwoman.

“It’s all about figuring out how to rescue Kate’s twin sister, Beth, from the D.E.O. and...its all going to culminate in a confrontation with Batman,” Williams said. “It’s going to be pretty explosive, the fight scene between those two will be very emotional, powerful.”
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Spektre
Swedish Pinata of Death

Liked in: 205 posts

Postby Spektre » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:37 am

Juan Cena wrote:Considering that all DC Q&A sessions end up being questions about Stephanie Brown, Cassandra Cain, Wally, Donna, etc. That may be a good thing. If only because the whole cat and mouse game between DC and con-goers has gotten pretty boring.

If two years out the questions still center on a story they have decided to kill, you'd think they'd take the hint.
- Continuity is or it is not. There is no such thing as soft continuity.
- A character IS his continuity.
- Continuity is consistency of the characteristics of people, plot, objects, and places seen by the reader or viewer.

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:41 am

HNutz wrote:
With the talk of wrapping up all threats from the first 2 years, what does that mean for the Court of Owls & Talon? Are they out of the picture?

I think it means they're wrapping up storylines like Pandora, etc. I don't expect the Court of Owls will be gone in the sense of "forever." They're one of the most fantastic Batman-villains created, so I think they'll have staying power.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

Spektre
Swedish Pinata of Death

Liked in: 205 posts

Postby Spektre » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:44 am

LOLtron wrote:- . On the other hand Constantine will do something VERY BAD to Shazam in an attempt to steal his power.  There was no Q&A at the panel due lack of time.  Make of that what you will.  

"Hello 911? I'm following someone acting suspicious wearing a hoodie."

- Continuity is or it is not. There is no such thing as soft continuity.
- A character IS his continuity.
- Continuity is consistency of the characteristics of people, plot, objects, and places seen by the reader or viewer.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 213 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:07 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:Other impartial sources stated:

Impartial? I'll have you know nothing of value was said when Batgirl was mentioned that we already know. Williams I didn't notice cause the sucking sound CBR had constantly going got too annoying when looking at their feed.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Brian Keith Pittman
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 169 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: SDCC: DC The New 52 Panel

Postby Brian Keith Pittman » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:44 am

I really wish they'd have acknowledged how they screw up at a pretty consistent rate and are generally the laughing stock of the comics world now.

Marius665
Society Member

Postby Marius665 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:06 am

I wanna know why they rebooted Stormwatch!?

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 133 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:53 am

Marius665 wrote:I wanna know why they rebooted Stormwatch!?

Because Stromwatch's sales suck maybe?

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Marius665
Society Member

Postby Marius665 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:34 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
Because Stromwatch's sales suck maybe?

then get a new writer and do a crossover event like they do every other fucking book.
book is still around, it just sucks now

Hating SKYWATCHER since forever! Image

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand