Advertisement

Secret Invasion #4 (SPOILERS!!!!!!)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

JL_Amato
rubber spoon

Liked in: 0 post

Postby JL_Amato » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:23 pm

rdrsfn82 wrote:Here's my take on the book, which is much like everyone else. I'm enjoying the series and some cool stuff happened, like the stuff with Reed (poor poor Reed), Ms. Marvel and Nick Fury (Fury is awesome and a total dick at the same time), Black Widow (I really hoped that was the real Beast, but alas it's not meant to be), Wolverine (Carrot Sticks is awesome). and some of the other stuff, but it still felt like the story was treading water and the story should be moving forward more. The best writing is on the Avengers titles and other tie ins. If you aren't reading at least the Avengers books the series isn't nearly as entertaining.

Since Civil War, Reed has been the whipping boy in all event comics.

He got the crap kicked out of him in WWH and now he's getting tortured.

Advertisement

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 255 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:29 pm

on another note its refreshing to see the villains actaully do something for once when their planet is threatened. its like they forget that if the countless events/invasions etc. succeed and the heroes fail then they're screwed. i give bendis props for putting them into this.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby rdrsfn82 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:33 pm

Vic Mackey wrote:on another note its refreshing to see the villains actaully do something for once when their planet is threatened. its like they forget that if the countless events/invasions etc. succeed and the heroes fail then they're screwed. i give bendis props for putting them into this.

I agree with this. The line about the Earth being destroyed being bad for business was great. They could have got to this sooner, but it was pretty awesome.

Jonathan
Expert Post Whore

Title: The American
Formerly: Adroitly Chaotic, House of Me

Postby Jonathan » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:35 pm

rdrsfn82 wrote:I agree with this. The line about the Earth being destroyed being bad for business was great. They could have got to this sooner, but it was pretty awesome.

When hero and villian stand the line together.....

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 406 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:28 pm

It wasn't the best comic I read this week -- I'd say Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova both had better individual issues. I can't say I agree with the statements that it was boring though. I was entertained and the ending left with a sense of anticipation for the next issue.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:46 pm

Stephen Day wrote:It wasn't the best comic I read this week -- I'd say Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova both had better individual issues. I can't say I agree with the statements that it was boring though. I was entertained and the ending left with a sense of anticipation for the next issue.

I don't think people thought the issue was boring, as much as they felt nothing happened to move the story forward. I think one of the biggest knocks on Bendis, although it doesn't bother me as much as some other people, is that he tells 4 issue stories in 8 issues too often. He loves little moments and fills his big stories with tons of little moments that drag the book out more and more to the point where it feels like not much of importance happens in a given issue. It's not a bad thing to me, but I get why some people get upset about it. He's great at starting stories and he takes so long on the small stuff that he has to really really pack the last issue of his stories with tons of stuff, but the middle issues don't advance the storyline as much as some folks would like.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:59 pm

rdrsfn82 wrote:I don't think people thought the issue was boring, as much as they felt nothing happened to move the story forward. I think one of the biggest knocks on Bendis, although it doesn't bother me as much as some other people, is that he tells 4 issue stories in 8 issues too often. He loves little moments and fills his big stories with tons of little moments that drag the book out more and more to the point where it feels like not much of importance happens in a given issue. It's not a bad thing to me, but I get why some people get upset about it. He's great at starting stories and he takes so long on the small stuff that he has to really really pack the last issue of his stories with tons of stuff, but the middle issues don't advance the storyline as much as some folks would like.

One poster thought it was boring. :)

I agree with you about the problems and I've had them with Bendis in the past. There's something about Secret Invasion though that has allowed me to overlook these faults and just enjoy the story that is unfolding.

In the end I think what it comes down to the simple fact that the little moments Bendis has chosen to focus on have all been moments that seem to matter to me -- Mockingbird and Hawkeye being a good example. When this happens, I love Bendis' writing. When it doesn't, I don't enjoy it as much.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:08 pm

Stephen Day wrote:One poster thought it was boring. :)

I agree with you about the problems and I've had them with Bendis in the past. There's something about Secret Invasion though that has allowed me to overlook these faults and just enjoy the story that is unfolding.

In the end I think what it comes down to the simple fact that the little moments Bendis has chosen to focus on have all been moments that seem to matter to me -- Mockingbird and Hawkeye being a good example. When this happens, I love Bendis' writing. When it doesn't, I don't enjoy it as much.

I agree. I've enjoyed the story a lot and have found it to be really really fun.

One thing about the Mockingbird/Hawkeye scene though. Every single other character to come out of that ship has been a Skrull. Every one. I don't see a reason to not think this is going to have a very very sad ending. :(

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 174 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:09 pm

Stephen Day wrote:One poster thought it was boring. :)

see, i loved the Hawkeye-Mockingbird moment too. but that was two full issues ago, and it hasn't been touched on since. yet they're all still in the Savage Land. and supposedly shit's going crazy around them. yet we haven't seen them (or Spidey...or Cage...) for over two issues. so now when Mock gets revealed to be a Skrull (b/c Bendis obviously hates Hawkeye too much to throw him a bone), it won't have quite as much meaning b/c there's been absolutely bupkus done with it. examples like that are where my problems with his pacing really come into play.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:25 pm

chap22 wrote:see, i loved the Hawkeye-Mockingbird moment too. but that was two full issues ago, and it hasn't been touched on since. yet they're all still in the Savage Land. and supposedly shit's going crazy around them. yet we haven't seen them (or Spidey...or Cage...) for over two issues. so now when Mock gets revealed to be a Skrull (b/c Bendis obviously hates Hawkeye too much to throw him a bone), it won't have quite as much meaning b/c there's been absolutely bupkus done with it. examples like that are where my problems with his pacing really come into play.

Maybe and then, maybe not.

The scene involving those two was pretty powerful in my opinion. I think it was powerful enough that when (and if - crossing fingers here :wink: ) it comes out that she's a skrull, that the impact won't be lost.

jza1218

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby jza1218 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:54 pm

Am I the only one who thinks that this is going to end up like the movie "The Thing" with Spidey webbing everyone up and taking blood samples to see who the Skrulls are?

Like, if you have green blood, you're a Skrull? Or if I set fire to the blood, it won't maintain it's red hue?

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 177 posts

Postby doombug » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:05 pm

chap22 wrote:see, i loved the Hawkeye-Mockingbird moment too. but that was two full issues ago, and it hasn't been touched on since. yet they're all still in the Savage Land. and supposedly shit's going crazy around them. yet we haven't seen them (or Spidey...or Cage...) for over two issues. so now when Mock gets revealed to be a Skrull (b/c Bendis obviously hates Hawkeye too much to throw him a bone), it won't have quite as much meaning b/c there's been absolutely bupkus done with it. examples like that are where my problems with his pacing really come into play.

Yeah but i'd say this issue finally had some really strong character moments again matching the Hawkeye/Bobbie stuff. Natasha finally stepping up to the bat and being the Black Widow most fans know and love was really appreciated. I loved how her and wolvie had that little "special word" moment. And trying to help Tony snap out of his rut was pretty awesome too.

I don't know, we still have 4 issues to go, I'd say I have full faith. Just don't understand the pricetag.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 98 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:09 pm

doombug wrote:Yeah but i'd say this issue finally had some really strong character moments again matching the Hawkeye/Bobbie stuff. Natasha finally stepping up to the bat and being the Black Widow most fans know and love was really appreciated. I loved how her and wolvie had that little "special word" moment. And trying to help Tony snap out of his rut was pretty awesome too.

I don't know, we still have 4 issues to go, I'd say I have full faith. Just don't understand the pricetag.

The price is based around the cardstock cover.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

zombiemichaeljackson
rubber spoon

Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:26 pm

doombug wrote:Yeah but i'd say this issue finally had some really strong character moments again matching the Hawkeye/Bobbie stuff. Natasha finally stepping up to the bat and being the Black Widow most fans know and love was really appreciated.

Yeah, but if that had really been Jean Grey Natasha wouldn't have even gotten a shot off. I mean, if the Skrulls really have a clone of Jean AND she has the Phoenix Force then that's game over. I don't understand why they felt the need to include her, it's silly.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 98 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:33 pm

twoheads wrote:Yeah, but if that had really been Jean Grey Natasha wouldn't have even gotten a shot off. I mean, if the Skrulls really have a clone of Jean AND she has the Phoenix Force then that's game over. I don't understand why they felt the need to include her, it's silly.

The Phoenix is it's own seperate entity. If the Skrulls had control over that, the invasion would be quick and painless. It was probably a imitation of the Phoenix, power wise.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand