Advertisement

Secret Invasion #4 (SPOILERS!!!!!!)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Jonathan
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The American
Formerly: Adroitly Chaotic, House of Me

Secret Invasion #4 (SPOILERS!!!!!!)

Postby Jonathan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:57 am

It wasn't bad, but not a whole lot of actual major happenings.

The beginning dialogue was fantastic and I loved the is-she-or-isn't-she-a-skrull Black Widow killing off other Skulls (ie the Beast and Jean Grey from the Ship as well as trying to kill the Spider-Woman/Skrull Queen before that).

And then of course the end....while not as dramatic as Nick Fury's "return"....still...it's a bit awesome....

Advertisement

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:03 am

Can you spoil the ending in white text?

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Re: Secret Invasion #4 (SPOILERS!!!!!!)

Postby chap22 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:03 am

Jonathan wrote:It wasn't bad, but not a whole lot of actual major happenings.

and with that, unless you're REALLY short-selling this issue, Bendis has officially used up all the goodwill he won with issue 1, and i'm dropping this sucker. is it THAT hard to write a story that kicks ass for 7 whole issues? especially one you've allegedly been planning for 3+ years?
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Jonathan
Expert Post Whore

Title: The American
Formerly: Adroitly Chaotic, House of Me

Postby Jonathan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:16 am

Black_Kryptonian wrote:Can you spoil the ending in white text?

Well, the last few panels have a few "returns" to the Marvel Universe Spotlight - the first couple is when two large lighting bolts come down and kill two Super Skrulls that are terrorizing everyday people. Then in the next panel y ou see the silouette(?) of Thor, rising or flying in the air, with more lighting behind him. Below that you see the same silouette(?) in a small pair of binoculars, which of course means somebody is watching him. Below that is the final panel for this issue which shows off part of Captain America's Shield and and the Star on his chest, but not his face or any other part of his body. No dialogue that last page.

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:21 am

Jonathan wrote:Well, the last few panels have a few "returns" to the Marvel Universe Spotlight - the first couple is when two large lighting bolts come down and kill two Super Skrulls that are terrorizing everyday people. Then in the next panel y ou see the silouette(?) of Thor, rising or flying in the air, with more lighting behind him. Below that you see the same silouette(?) in a small pair of binoculars, which of course means somebody is watching him. Below that is the final panel for this issue which shows off part of Captain America's Shield and and the Star on his chest, but not his face or any other part of his body. No dialogue that last page.

Awww...well from everything I'm hearing, those last two pages might be the only worthwhile part of this issue. I think I'm just going to stick with a few select tie-ins. I'll probably get most of the story there.

zombiemichaeljackson
rubber spoon

Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:17 pm

I just finished this a few minutes ago, and I did enjoy it, but i also see the problems that some of you are having issues with. Really, the main problems I'm having with this series are with the art, because I sometimes have trouble telling who is who and what is going on in any given page, and the fact that there is just way too much going on for one book. I feel like the main series should have focused on Fury and Stark while leaving all of the extracurricular stuff for the tie ins, because it seems really jumbled and unfocused.

The last page sure makes it seem like someone is getting a major ass kicking next issue, though. :-D

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:29 pm

This series is boring. Nothing really happens. The Skrulls attack, the heroes fight, some get defeated, a new batch of heroes appear, they fight more Skrulls. Secret Invasion is like a boring superhero version of Ground Hog Day.

Plus, Yu is not the best storyteller. He is great with a book like Ultimate Hulk vs. Wolverine, where it's two major characters who are featured. But in a book with dozens of characters, sometimes appearing in a few panels, his style and artistry are not up for the task.

This book requires clear, visual storytelling -- otherwise, the small plot twists lose all impact.

This is a massive disappointment. But aren't all events?

zombiemichaeljackson
rubber spoon

Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:34 pm

Eli Katz wrote:This series is boring. Nothing really happens. The Skrulls attack, the heroes fight, some get defeated, a new batch of heroes appear, they fight more Skrulls. Secret Invasion is like a boring superhero version of Ground Hog Day.

Plus, Yu is not the best storyteller. He is great with a book like Ultimate Hulk vs. Wolverine, where it's two major characters who are featured. But in a book with dozens of characters, sometimes appearing in a few panels, his style and artistry are not up for the task.

This book requires clear, visual storytelling -- otherwise, the small plot twists lose all impact.

This is a massive disappointment. But aren't all events?

On that point, is The Hood *supposed* to look exactly like Dr. Strange, or is that just Yu?

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:36 pm

twoheads wrote:On that point, is The Hood *supposed* to look exactly like Dr. Strange, or is that just Yu?

The Hood, Dr. Strange, Druid -- they all seem to look the same.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:40 pm

Eli Katz wrote:This is a massive disappointment. But aren't all events?

nope. just the ones Bendis, Millar, and/or Didio-era DC (with the exceptions of 52 and Sinestro Corps, both of which you almost have to stretch to call "events") do.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:03 pm

chap22 wrote:nope. just the ones Bendis, Millar, and/or Didio-era DC (with the exceptions of 52 and Sinestro Corps, both of which you almost have to stretch to call "events") do.

There's been so much crap lately, it's easy to forget the good stuff.

JL_Amato
rubber spoon

Postby JL_Amato » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:32 pm

This happened with House of M too.

I really just don't think Bendis knows how to write event comics.

It's always big stuff at beginning, then barely anything in the middle, wrapped up with a two issue fight.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 346 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:45 pm

to be fair there's been fighting going on since #2 only it hasnt been the focus. the main avengers team and tony stark have been. nick fury's appearance wasnt what i thought it'd be....he just recovered a few people and left meaning there's still a lot more going on with him than appearing to kill some skrulls.

and now the hood and his gang are stepping into the fight, agent brand is on the skrull ship........things are developing slowly so i cant see why you'd think nothing is happening. there's a reason for a bendis series being like this anyway, all his stuff reads good in issues but in trade format it really reads a lot better.

Cernunnos
Swedish Pinata of Death

Liked in: 4 posts

Postby Cernunnos » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:00 pm

Ms. Marvel looks to be in deep doo-doo after Nick Fury blasted her. :( I can't wait to see Thor kick some more Skrull butt. 8)
When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby rdrsfn82 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:20 pm

Here's my take on the book, which is much like everyone else. I'm enjoying the series and some cool stuff happened, like the stuff with Reed (poor poor Reed), Ms. Marvel and Nick Fury (Fury is awesome and a total dick at the same time), Black Widow (I really hoped that was the real Beast, but alas it's not meant to be), Wolverine (Carrot Sticks is awesome). and some of the other stuff, but it still felt like the story was treading water and the story should be moving forward more. The best writing is on the Avengers titles and other tie ins. If you aren't reading at least the Avengers books the series isn't nearly as entertaining.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand