Friday, September 21, 2018 • Midnight Edition • "Your boob-window into the world of comics."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Secret Invasion #5 SPOILERS

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

habitual

Silly French Man

Postby habitual » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:56 pm

Lord Simian wrote:Well, that depends on context. Is he talking about JUST the invaders, or ALL skrulls? Cause, invasion or not, yes, if he means all skrulls, then it's GENOCIDE.

And why are we having this discussion? It's HAWKEYE, not Wolverine or Frank Castle. He's an AVENGER. They're, you know, HEROES. They don't kill, especially those who deliberately emulate Steve Rogers.

I think you've been drinking too much of the DC Kool-Aid. Avengers have been killing for a long time.

Hab

Lord Simian

The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:57 pm

habitual wrote:Yes I agree, it's silly.

And viewing Clint's statment as genocide is a huge leap in logic in my opinion.

Hab

Well, perhaps. As I said, it depends on context. I'm not reading it, so I don't know if there's a difference between "the skrulls invading" and "ALL the skrulls". If the latter, than obviously, you're right, and that's not what I meant.

But if CONTEXTUALLY, the entire race is what he means, then I don't see why "KILL THEM ALL" is a huge leap to advocating Genocide..... Last I checked, that's kinda the definitition of Genocide: Killing ALL members of a race, species, alien populace. :)

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:33 pm

i thought ares only line to skrull-thor in the book beat clints: "shout your ****ing hole" while hacking him with his battle axe :D

habitual

Silly French Man

Postby habitual » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:42 pm

Vic Mackey wrote:i thought ares only line to skrull-thor in the book beat clints: "shout your ****ing hole" while hacking him with his battle axe :D

Eh...

I thought Maria Hill's scene was better than that, and unlike Chappy I thought the opening was classic Norman Osborn

Hab

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:57 pm

Lord Simian wrote:Well, that depends on context. Is he talking about JUST the invaders, or ALL skrulls? Cause, invasion or not, yes, if he means all skrulls, then it's GENOCIDE.

And why are we having this discussion? It's HAWKEYE, not Wolverine or Frank Castle. He's an AVENGER. They're, you know, HEROES. They don't kill, especially those who deliberately emulate Steve Rogers.

I take it you haven't read the early issues of Brubaker's Cap series then? :wink:

rdrsfn82

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:37 am

This issue was in fact awesome and that scene was the best in the book. The art really was amazing on that page. Clint looked as pissed as one would be in that situation. Plus it proved it's the real Clint and not a Skrull so that's good. I thought there was a good chance they'd throw us a curve and have him be the Skrull while Mockingbird wasn't. As for the page of famous folks, Cartman was by far the coolest thing on there. It reminded me of that cover from Mighty Avengers where there were all the Iron Man helmets and they had the C-3PO and Tin Man heads in there, and I believe Yu did that one as well. Second place goes to Colbert.

As for the Lord of the Monekys, Cap kills in war. He killed a lot of Nazis. Hawkeye is in a war where they just made him think his wife was back from the dead and she turned out to be an alien in disguise. I gotta believe that he'd be so pissed he'd want to kill every Skrull at that moment. I don't think that means he's going to be going to schools and killing kids or anything, just that his initial reaction is that. In my opinion it's a great moment and totally true to the character.

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:44 am

back in WW2 there was a scene or cover where cap's shoving germans into concentration camp ovens. i remember reading that in some place talking about comics and cartoons being used as propaganda. so its not really the "ideals that captain america stands for" but rather what the time period makes him do depending on the writer.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:07 am

you DO realize we're talking about Hawkeye-as-written-by-Bendis, right? in the litany of characters who Bendis just doesn't "get", Clint is on top of the list.

but i admit, it was a good scene in a good issue. it was just a terrible Hawkeye scene.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:10 am

habitual wrote:Eh...

I thought Maria Hill's scene was better than that, and unlike Chappy I thought the opening was classic Norman Osborn

Hab

it is classic Norman. but it was still stupid.

and i agree, the Hill scene was the best of the issue IMO. and i HATE Maria Hill.

outsider

Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:36 am

Not to go all Ender Wiggin on you, Lord Simian, but wouldn't killing all the Skrulls technically be 'xenocide', not 'genocide'?

D

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby D » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:25 am

Genocide? Seriously? Sure, it beats the "Not my Avengers" and "Bendis sucks" but just barely.

Anyway, my favorite issue of the series so far. Time to get the fuck out of the Savage Land.

vinnypic

Expert Post Whore

Postby vinnypic » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:27 am

The best lines of the SI week, in my opinion, came from the tie ins.

Thor:

"See, I know my brother when I see him."

Inhumans:

"You make a good point."

And SI Proper:

"Shut your fucking hole." :lol:

habitual

Silly French Man

Postby habitual » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:03 am

chap22 wrote:it is classic Norman. but it was still stupid.

and i agree, the Hill scene was the best of the issue IMO. and i HATE Maria Hill.

Why? Becuase it was Norman?

I thought it was the perfect mind fuck especially considering the source.

Hab

JL_Amato

rubber spoon

Postby JL_Amato » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:05 am

The cover to Secret Invasion #8...

Full-size image here.

vinnypic

Expert Post Whore

Postby vinnypic » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:21 am

habitual wrote:Why? Becuase it was Norman?

I thought it was the perfect mind fuck especially considering the source.

Hab

The silent caveat was "I think it's terrible what they've done to you...and I've killed hundreds of people!" :wink:

leave a comment with facebook