Advertisement

Secret Invasion

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!

Secret Invasion

Postby Thunderstorm » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:17 pm

Typically bland first issue, though the stuff with the FF was WAY more interesting than anything else. It's still missing the suspense an event like this should have.

Advertisement

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 9 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:41 am

still WAY too early though the first issue reminded me kinda of disassembled: lots of WTF/shock moments that get you speculating on what the hell is going on. hopefully this will all come together better than that event.

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Title: Internet Celebrity

Postby MoneyMelon » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:05 am

I wasn't really impressed with it. This feels like something that could have been an awesome arc of New Avengers but will probably end up being a mediocre "event".

However, I did think it was pretty awesome when Reed got shot in the head with that ray gun and he was all stretched out and splattered around the lab. I LOL'd

The skrull revelations weren't all that shocking, though. But I'm sure that was barely the tip of the iceberg.

Man of Steel wrote:get over myself? You're the one who fancies himself some sort of internet celebrity.

Alex Delarge
Post Whore

Postby Alex Delarge » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:12 am

I think it is safe to say that Wolverine, the one currently in New Avengers, and probably Spider-Man there as well....are Skrulls. I remember the arc where they meet Wolverine in New Avengers took place in the Savage Land.

Coincidence?

This would leave to the removal of Wolverine and Spider-Man from the Avengers after the series concludes, and hopefully the cancellation of New Avengers and Mighty Avengers and the start of a new The Avengers series, back to status quo.

I had also heard in a Bendis interview that there would be a huge powershift after the crossover. I can only assume, given the events of the issue, that most of our heroes will get powershifted down and the mass escape of villains will breath new life into all the series, allowing them to reboot much of the lesser villains into proper threats. Lately it seems that our heroes are fighting mostly the same villains or none at all. We could be seeing a universe wide reboot of power levels so that things will return to the old days of storytelling somewhat.

I could be wrong.

Oh....and I enjoyed the issue. I cannot help but assume that whoever inked Yu's New Avengers issues needs to never ink his work again. Same goes for Larroca....I really really hate whoever inks and colors his work. HATE.

HATE.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:05 pm

Alex Delarge wrote:I think it is safe to say that Wolverine, the one currently in New Avengers, and probably Spider-Man there as well....are Skrulls. I remember the arc where they meet Wolverine in New Avengers took place in the Savage Land.

Coincidence?

This would leave to the removal of Wolverine and Spider-Man from the Avengers after the series concludes, and hopefully the cancellation of New Avengers and Mighty Avengers and the start of a new The Avengers series, back to status quo.
I could see that. One theory I've had is that Spider-Man was replaced by a skrull during One More Day and that Brand New Day is what Spidey's undergoing right now while the skrull is running around as him.

Alex Delarge
Post Whore

Postby Alex Delarge » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:31 pm

I read the Mike Carey interview on the rama and he mentioned his X-Men tie in, he says keep on eye on Beast, Emma Frost, and Nightcrawler.

Now Beast and Emma just came outta that ship.

I am thinking those are the real deals.

It gives Beast back his old look and removes the Emma-Scott relationship in time for the baby in the Cable series to grow up and become Jean Grey again to restart that relationship.

As for nightcrawler, I have heard rumors, but I am not sure what a skrull swap of him is going to accomplish as far as fixing anything.

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!

Postby Thunderstorm » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:32 pm

Alex Delarge wrote:I think it is safe to say that Wolverine, the one currently in New Avengers, and probably Spider-Man there as well....are Skrulls. I remember the arc where they meet Wolverine in New Avengers took place in the Savage Land.

Coincidence?

I had also heard in a Bendis interview that there would be a huge powershift after the crossover. I can only assume, given the events of the issue, that most of our heroes will get powershifted down and the mass escape of villains will breath new life into all the series, allowing them to reboot much of the lesser villains into proper threats. Lately it seems that our heroes are fighting mostly the same villains or none at all. We could be seeing a universe wide reboot of power levels so that things will return to the old days of storytelling somewhat.

I could be wrong.

Oh....and I enjoyed the issue. I cannot help but assume that whoever inked Yu's New Avengers issues needs to never ink his work again. Same goes for Larroca....I really really hate whoever inks and colors his work. HATE.

HATE.

Yu's pencils always look amazing, but when NA hits the stands, it's a freaking mess. It has to be the inking.

I'm not sure about Spider-Man being a Skrull though. Fans have reacted too negatively over the past and recent changes to the character, I think it's a little too soon to erase more stories. I think that group is there mostly to throw people off.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:56 pm

Alex Delarge wrote:I read the Mike Carey interview on the rama and he mentioned his X-Men tie in, he says keep on eye on Beast, Emma Frost, and Nightcrawler.

Now Beast and Emma just came outta that ship.

I am thinking those are the real deals.

It gives Beast back his old look and removes the Emma-Scott relationship in time for the baby in the Cable series to grow up and become Jean Grey again to restart that relationship.

As for nightcrawler, I have heard rumors, but I am not sure what a skrull swap of him is going to accomplish as far as fixing anything.

On the other hand, Bianchi's pencils from Astonishing X-Men (set after all this) show Hank in his cat form and Emma in bed with Scott. So no.

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:05 pm

nietoperz wrote:On the other hand, Bianchi's pencils from Astonishing X-Men (set after all this) show Hank in his cat form and Emma in bed with Scott. So no.

Maybe Cyclops has a thing for skrulls

Man of Steel wrote:get over myself? You're the one who fancies himself some sort of internet celebrity.

Severed Djed
Bastard #1

Postby Severed Djed » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:07 pm

Thunderstorm wrote:I'm not sure about Spider-Man being a Skrull though. Fans have reacted too negatively over the past and recent changes to the character, I think it's a little too soon to erase more stories. I think that group is there mostly to throw people off.

Haven't read SI yet, but my guess was that that the Iron Fist in NA was a Skrull, if only because there's no way to sync his appearances here with the ongoing story in his own book.

Alex Delarge
Post Whore

Postby Alex Delarge » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:20 pm

Severed Djed wrote:Haven't read SI yet, but my guess was that that the Iron Fist in NA was a Skrull, if only because there's no way to sync his appearances here with the ongoing story in his own book.

It seems to me reading Immortal Iron Fist as little as I have that it makes no specific reference to continuity.

I could be wrong as I have only read a few issues, but I never saw any, which could place it just about anywhere.

Jonathan
Expert Post Whore

Title: The American
Formerly: Adroitly Chaotic, House of Me

Postby Jonathan » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:32 am

I liked the issue, myself.

Shady
cheese

Postby Shady » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:13 pm

I wasn't going to try this series out but picked up the first issue since it was a slow week. I wasn't impressed, the art didn't look so great but I think Alex is right, whoever inks Yu's art right now is the "suck".

I won't be continuing and will pick it up in trade if the series turns out well.

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:18 pm

Here's my review of the issue from the Review Group on the message board that shall not be named....

Okay……….this is going to be an uncharacteristically long review for me, but this is a “big event” so I feel like it should be a big review.

Now, to start off, let me say that I really have not been enjoying Marvel’s events over the last few years. I thought House of M was a pretty good story, but I didn’t think it really needed to be a company-wide mega crossover. If they just left it between New Avengers and X-Men and then did the main mini-series, it probably would have been received a lot better.

Then came Civil War, whose popularity continues to confuse me. I thought it had a strong concept but was delivered in the most piss poor manner possible. And I do hate it when comics try to get too political, particularly the way Mark Millar does it. Then there’s the fact that you needed to read about a dozen tie-in issues to figure out what the hell was going on in the last issue.

And my least favorite was last year……..World War Hulk. The company-wide mega crossover that didn’t need to exist. I’m sorry, but if that was just an arc of the Hulk, it would have ruled. But they stretched it out in order to cash in on mini-series’ and tie-in issues and it watered down a story to the point where it was just retarded.

So basically, that’s where I’m coming from with my approach to Marvel’s latest company-wide mega crossover, Secret Invasion.

I’m a regular reader of the Avengers books, so I’ve been pretty well versed on all the stuff leading up to this, what with Elektra being revealed to have been a skrull, etc. And it did pique my interest. So I started to read this and it went pretty much how I expected……Tony Stark would reveal that they’ve been infiltrated, there’d be some tension between the two Avengers teams and then there’d be some surprises as characters are revealed to be skrulls. So there wasn’t too much here that really impressed me. But, as with previous Marvel crossovers, I’m already starting to feel lost. For instance, what was the deal with Captain Marvel? Is he a skrull now? I didn’t bother to read that Captain Marvel mini-series, so I have no idea what’s going on there. Stuff like this really turns me off of crossovers like this.

The dialogue was typical Bendis stuff. Sometimes it’s good and it’s really sharp and it works, and sometimes he does that annoying repetition. I guess he’s trying to make it sound “real” but it comes across as annoying to read. And it’s something that I see he falls back on a lot. It’s sort of a cheap trick to make dialogue sound interesting without actually being interesting. I learned the same trick in a playwriting class in college. I ended up with an “A” doing the same thing. But don’t get me wrong. I like Bendis. I have since he was writing Sam & Twitch back in the day. And there were some moments where Bendis plays to his strength, which is creating tension between characters. The scene where Luke Cage is prying open the door to the ship and the Mighty Avengers are there to stop him was great. You could really feel the tension between the two teams.

Also, as a side note, I liked when we saw the S.W.O.R.D. space station from Astonishing X-Men. That was very cool for me, being a huge fan of Whedon’s X-Men stuff. Glad to see that’s an idea they’re running with and not forgetting immediately after his Astonishing run wraps up.

The ship full of Skrulls crashing in the Savage Land was interesting. I imagine some of them are skrulls and some are real. That’ll be a nice mystery to play with through this series.

My favorite part of the issue was the ending, where Reed discovers a way to identify who’s a skrull and who isn’t and then he gets shot in the head with a ray gun from a skrull agent posing as Hank Pym. I don’t know what it was, but something about that scene made me laugh. I loved how Reed was all stretched out and splattered around the room with the one eye-ball sort of hanging from the goo.

That brings me to the art. I’ll just come out and say it………I hate Lienil Yu’s art. Really. It’s all scratchy and angular and everybody’s eyes look like they haven’t slept in three days. What is that? And the faces on women…….god, they’re awful. The guy cannot draw a feminine face to save his life, IMO. They all have pointy chins or they look like a dude in drag. This looked better than his usual garbage, probably because it was inked competently. But I still didn’t care for it.

Story: 7.5
Art: 5
Overall: 6.5 (barely a passing grade)

A promising start to a company-wide Mega Crossover, but Marvel and Bendis still seem to turn to the same tricks I haven’t cared for in the last three crossovers.

Alex Delarge
Post Whore

Postby Alex Delarge » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:28 pm

I made my roommate read the issue last night and he really enjoyed it. He told me it had the potential to be even better, bigger, and more grand than what Millar did with The Ultimates.

I can totally see that.

Plus, this seems like the first major crossover in years where the heroes are combating an enemy instead of one of their own.

House of M - Scarlet Witch
Civil War - Each other
World War Hulk - Hulk
Secret Invasion - Skrulls....ahhh back to fighting villains now, though I am afraid Bendis is going to turn this into some ambiguous thing where people will sympathize with the Skrulls, I hope that is not the case.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand