Tuesday, September 27, 2016 • Morning Edition • "That smell was here before we went in."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Secret Invasion Tie-in Watch!

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue May 13, 2008 3:00 am

Fine fine, but compared to everything else Morrison has written, I expected a lot more. I would never put Skrull Kill Krew next to something like The Filth or even Kid Eternity.
User avatar

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Tue May 13, 2008 6:50 am

Put it next to some Mark Millar stuff, then you'll see what happened.
User avatar

john lewis hawk

Founder of The Outhouse

Postby john lewis hawk » Tue May 13, 2008 11:45 am

I think what "ruinned" SKK for me was the fact that after you hear what the story is, there's not much else.
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue May 13, 2008 1:08 pm

Zero wrote:Put it next to some Mark Millar stuff, then you'll see what happened.
But I kind of like some of his stuff. Authority is awesome.
User avatar

Zenguru

Staff Writer

Postby Zenguru » Tue May 13, 2008 1:34 pm

Keb wrote:Fine fine, but compared to everything else Morrison has written, I expected a lot more. I would never put Skrull Kill Krew next to something like The Filth or even Kid Eternity.
Well, I think that with Morrison, nearly everybody has Alan Moore like expectations of him. Morrison wrote some important and seminal works, just like Moore. Now it seems that he can't just have fun writing a book without some fans' astronomical expectations of him. He had fun doing Skrull Kill Krew. He didn't intend for it to go down in the same vein as Lee & Kirby's FF. Maybe if some people scaled down their anticipations a bit, they'd enjoy some of Morrison's books a little more.
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue May 13, 2008 4:32 pm

but it works in the same vein as WE3 which is one of his best works. It's not overly complex, it has a lot of action and it's fun. It just wasn't entertaining. Steve Yeowell who is almost always fantastic, was not a good match for the title, which made it hurt, and the concept I thought was pretty silly.
User avatar

john lewis hawk

Founder of The Outhouse

Postby john lewis hawk » Tue May 13, 2008 5:10 pm

I also felt it was very 90's-ish.
User avatar

Zenguru

Staff Writer

Postby Zenguru » Wed May 14, 2008 12:13 am

john lewis wrote:I also felt it was very 90's-ish.
Good thing it came out in the 90's, then. Whew!
User avatar

Zenguru

Staff Writer

Postby Zenguru » Wed May 14, 2008 12:14 am

Keb wrote:but it works in the same vein as WE3 which is one of his best works. It's not overly complex, it has a lot of action and it's fun. It just wasn't entertaining. Steve Yeowell who is almost always fantastic, was not a good match for the title, which made it hurt, and the concept I thought was pretty silly.
But Skrull Kill Krew has superheroes in it. And we all know how you feel about those.
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed May 14, 2008 12:30 am

That doesn't mean I like the occasional superhero story. They just have to pull superheroics into question. I loved Miracleman for that. I don't like Superman though. Too much of an ideal without the flaw.
User avatar

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Wed May 14, 2008 12:34 am

Keb wrote:That doesn't mean I like the occasional superhero story. They just have to pull superheroics into question. I loved Miracleman for that. I don't like Superman though. Too much of an ideal without the flaw.


I always saw that his near-perfection was Superman's flaw. He's so much more than everyone around him and he knows it. He knows he'll outlive everyone he cares about, and he knows he could do so much more than he does now. He's never ever going to fit in anywhere, like Hulk, but unlike Hulk he's loved and has a good life. Take away his very very Silver-Agey supporting cast and you might just improve him.
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed May 14, 2008 12:18 pm

See, if I were to write him, I'd do it in a Miracleman sort of way. He knows that he's better than everyone and can run the planet, but he won't. He'll try to improve things for people but they'll always fall to pieces because of the human condition and human free will. Every time someone tries, it never works, like in Kingdom Come or For Tomorrow (Azzarello had the right idea just the wrong execution of it). Most people don't want to see that though, which is why I really don't like the character. There is potential, but no desire.

That's why I like Marvel characters more. They focus on the superpowered individual and the internal struggle more than the superheroics and the idealistic world they live in.
User avatar

Zenguru

Staff Writer

Postby Zenguru » Wed May 14, 2008 3:00 pm

Keb wrote:See, if I were to write him, I'd do it in a Miracleman sort of way. He knows that he's better than everyone and can run the planet, but he won't. He'll try to improve things for people but they'll always fall to pieces because of the human condition and human free will. Every time someone tries, it never works, like in Kingdom Come or For Tomorrow (Azzarello had the right idea just the wrong execution of it). Most people don't want to see that though, which is why I really don't like the character. There is potential, but no desire.

That's why I like Marvel characters more. They focus on the superpowered individual and the internal struggle more than the superheroics and the idealistic world they live in.
So are you saying you like comics that are more real and less of an escape?
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed May 14, 2008 3:03 pm

Yes. I'm not a big fan of escapism.
User avatar

john lewis hawk

Founder of The Outhouse

Postby john lewis hawk » Wed May 14, 2008 3:39 pm

Keb wrote:Yes. I'm not a big fan of escapism.
I think too often escapism is confused with stupid writing. Escapism, to me, could be Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster, and Edgar Allen Poe playing "Rock The Casbah" at a dive bar rather than Superman fighting Zod for the eighth millionth time. I want to escape superhero escapism.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 85 guests

cron