Advertisement

Secret Invasion #3 (of 8) - Was that it?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Spidey-Man

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Spidey-Man » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:48 am

No real surprises, no real movement, and certain things come out of nowhere unless you're reading the various Avengers books

This book seems like it isn't going to have the guts to be as big as promised.

Too bad, great concept

Advertisement

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:10 am

This issue did not impress me at all, and I agree that structuring on this even is crucial, and very shakey. Not to be a DC comparison, but when Johns did the Sinestro Corp, it was in two books, and a few one shots. And it was a damn solid event.

Perhaps keeping the whole thing in the two Avengers books would have been better... alas, not cheaper. And you know, it's all about the money, not necessarily the story. :wink:

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Spidey-Man

Postby Spidey-Man » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:39 am

Unfortunately for me, Bendis's events, and even Civil War by Millar, tend to start out with an interesting concept, start strong, meander in the middle, and end weakly.

Jonathan
Expert Post Whore

Title: The American
Formerly: Adroitly Chaotic, House of Me

Postby Jonathan » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:12 pm

GLX wrote:I thought it was tight. My theory on Tony Stark: The Skrull queen is messing with his mind.

I also agree with this, and it won't be until the last issue that realizes the truth.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:36 pm

About the Tony Stark is a skrull theory; I do agree with you guys, I think Stark is being fucked with but if you look at it, he's the superhero who can stop the Skrull invasion the easiest and knows the most about it. However, the other character who is almost as capable of stopping the invasion is Luke Cage and so far, we haven't seen the Skrull Queen mess with Luke. I'm hinking it might be possible that he's a skrull.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:29 pm

john lewis wrote:About the Tony Stark is a skrull theory; I do agree with you guys, I think Stark is being fucked with but if you look at it, he's the superhero who can stop the Skrull invasion the easiest and knows the most about it. However, the other character who is almost as capable of stopping the invasion is Luke Cage and so far, we haven't seen the Skrull Queen mess with Luke. I'm hinking it might be possible that he's a skrull.

Yep. In the early New Avengers issues, Wolverine couldn't smell Jess and Luke.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Cernunnos
Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Cernunnos » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:25 pm

I enjoyed the new issue of Secret Invasion. The Giant-Man Skrull was kicking some serious butt! :shock: :shock:

Jonathan
Expert Post Whore

Title: The American
Formerly: Adroitly Chaotic, House of Me

Postby Jonathan » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:44 am

john lewis wrote:About the Tony Stark is a skrull theory; I do agree with you guys, I think Stark is being fucked with but if you look at it, he's the superhero who can stop the Skrull invasion the easiest and knows the most about it. However, the other character who is almost as capable of stopping the invasion is Luke Cage and so far, we haven't seen the Skrull Queen mess with Luke. I'm hinking it might be possible that he's a skrull.

I think he might be as well, or Jessica Drew, one of them - but I think either way, whichever one it is, will decide to "stay" who they are (ala Captain Marvel) instead revert back to their "Skrullish" ways.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:29 pm

I liked this issue a lot. Thought it was the best of the series

Cernunnos
Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Cernunnos » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:26 pm

Kerny wrote:I liked this issue a lot. Thought it was the best of the series

I agree with you. The Young Avengers and Initiative recruits didn't stand a chance against the Super-Skrull army. :shock: Hell, the Super-Skrulls would have probably given both the New and Mighty Avengers combined a run for their money.

daitong
penile prisoner

Postby daitong » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:59 pm

Spiderrob wrote:Unfortunately for me, Bendis's events, and even Civil War by Millar, tend to start out with an interesting concept, start strong, meander in the middle, and end weakly.

This has been my feeling for most "event" stories for the last 6 years or so.

Jeff
Post Whore

Postby Jeff » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:48 am

I was not overwhelmed by this, it was okay. Dangling plot threads are annoying me e.g. what was the final fate of Agent Brand and the S.W.O.R.D. agents trapped in that protective space goo in issue #1? I know this is hardly essential to the plot but I really fell in love with the character in Astonishing X-Men and it worries me that she is still floating about out there, somewhere, 3 issues in.
The poster formerly known as Kiwiboy

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand