Advertisement

Secret Invasion #3 (of 8) - Was that it?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Alex Delarge
Post Whore

Liked in: 0 post

Secret Invasion #3 (of 8) - Was that it?

Postby Alex Delarge » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:29 pm

I was disappointed in this issue of Secret Invasion. It felt very much like the DC Universe Zero issue from weeks back except with a more coherent narrative. I am not sure that all the mini-plots introduced in this issue will be returned to by the end of the series, but I cannot help but consider this a transitional issue. It seemed like a lot of vignettes to dangling plots without much movement. Also, there are some things introduced in this issue that were first introduced in the Avengers titles some weeks back. I am not sure if their introduction here makes sense without reading those previous avengers issues. Failure, especially when Marvel has been telling us multiple times that it is entirely self-contained. I should know better than to listen to anything Marvel says. Knaufs returning to Iron Man: DoS indeed!

A lot of people thought the previous issue was pretty thin. This issue is vaporous compared to the previous issue.

The art sure was pretty though.

Of the four issues I purchased this week this was the weakest of the bunch.

Worst Issue of the Week.
Last edited by Alex Delarge on Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Zain
expert hobo killer

Postby Zain » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:33 pm

That's too bad. I read a review over at cbr that made it sound good. Especially one of spoilers. *drool* I can hear fanboys crying everywhere :-D
I enjoyed the last 2 issues ok. I'm still going to check this one out. Thanks for the heads up though.
In"your"endo

Comic_Doctor
Motherfucker from Hell

Title: Tag Team

Postby Comic_Doctor » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:04 pm

I just read it, and I thought it was pretty good. It did feel like events happened in other books (like with Civil War), but I was able to follow it fine.

I'm very curious to see what happens with a potential reveal...

JL_Amato
rubber spoon

Postby JL_Amato » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:10 pm

I read the spoilers online and it certainly sounds interesting.

I'm excited to get it at the end of the month.

Alex Delarge
Post Whore

Postby Alex Delarge » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:40 pm

To help illustrate my point, if one were to read the previous Avengers issues, there are no surprises here.

None.

This would have been a much better issue if the previous issues of Avengers did not reveal all the interesting stuff contained within.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 203 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:42 pm

What's been going on so far? Someone spoil the first three issues for me!!!
SHABBA!

Jonathan
Expert Post Whore

Title: The American
Formerly: Adroitly Chaotic, House of Me

Postby Jonathan » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:43 pm

It wasn't bad, but it did feel a bit like filler, really. But not all 8 issues are actually gonna have that "OH MY FUCKING GOD!" moment in each issue.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 162 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:43 pm

so far its in danger of suffering disassembled syndrome. everythings happening so fast that there doenst seem to be development time. just under halfway through this mini and we're still at the start invasion. pacing is really going fast but the difference with this and the other even is that bendis is able to use mighty and new to fill in story gaps that he cant go through in the main series.

so far from what i've seen these three books pretty much hold the event together.

Alex Delarge
Post Whore

Postby Alex Delarge » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:54 pm

Vic Mackey wrote:so far its in danger of suffering disassembled syndrome. everythings happening so fast that there doenst seem to be development time. just under halfway through this mini and we're still at the start invasion. pacing is really going fast but the difference with this and the other even is that bendis is able to use mighty and new to fill in story gaps that he cant go through in the main series.

so far from what i've seen these three books pretty much hold the event together.

The way I see it Secret Invasion has been a book of trailers for other series. If you take the first 3 issues together as a whole and look at them, issue 1 was solid and issue 2 was fun, and issue 3 was filler. But overall everything is glossed over. You are right. Bendis is using Avengers to fill out the MEAT of the story. That is bullshit to me. You know why? Because this could have been told as a crossver between New and Mighty just as well without 32 page $3.99 fucking filler issues to gloss over the whole damn thing.

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:05 pm

Alex Delarge wrote:The way I see it Secret Invasion has been a book of trailers for other series. If you take the first 3 issues together as a whole and look at them, issue 1 was solid and issue 2 was fun, and issue 3 was filler. But overall everything is glossed over. You are right. Bendis is using Avengers to fill out the MEAT of the story. That is bullshit to me. You know why? Because this could have been told as a crossver between New and Mighty just as well without 32 page $3.99 fucking filler issues to gloss over the whole damn thing.

I'm enjoying SI so far, but I think your assessment is pretty accurate. Bendis isn't telling a bad story, nor one that necessarily precipitates you buying other books, but it fees as if he's putting the bare minimum in the main book. We're getting a few "Oh Shit" moments and a paranoid atmosphere, but not enough meat.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 81 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:08 pm

Though I think Bendis has said that it was originally going to be only a story in the Avengers titles.

Comic_Doctor
Motherfucker from Hell

Title: Tag Team

Postby Comic_Doctor » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:09 pm

Alex Delarge wrote:To help illustrate my point, if one were to read the previous Avengers issues, there are no surprises here.

None.

This would have been a much better issue if the previous issues of Avengers did not reveal all the interesting stuff contained within.

I can see your point here. I found the same problem with Civil War - a lot happened in the other titles, so parts of the main series seemed less exciting.

I'm behind on my reading of the other books, so SI seemed better to me.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 162 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:10 pm

yes, storywise everything seems perfect but assigning stuff to each issue has really being the weakness of the issue. bendis has something great here and shows that he can plan a great event this time around but unless he has an ace to play the poor structure will be the downfall of this series.

on another note, i cant really buy tony stark being a skrull like it was implied in this issue. his mission was ended by crippling him with a virus? if bendis is going this direction i'll be severely disappointed.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 50 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:21 pm

I thought it was tight. My theory on Tony Stark: The Skrull queen is messing with his mind.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Zain
expert hobo killer

Postby Zain » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:21 am

GLX wrote:I thought it was tight. My theory on Tony Stark: The Skrull queen is messing with his mind.

As is my thought on that matter. But how much would it piss off fandom if it were true though?
In"your"endo

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand