Advertisement

Secret Wars returns! 3 3/4" comic packs!

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:44 pm

cncoyle wrote:I was going to post a link to Secret Wars on Amazon (I got a used trade there for like $7 this summer), but the cheapest they have are now $16 each? WTF happened over the past six months for the used prices to jump up? :?

Is it out of print? A new omnibus coming out? Bendis breathing new life into the Beyonder and making him interesting?

:p

Advertisement

Kent Horton
Garbage Collector

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Kent Horton » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:44 pm

Jack Burton wrote:Honestly dude I'm fairly old school with my comic tastes so I'm willing to bet I like it more than HOM or CW. Especially CW with it's...flexible characterization.

*cough*raping the new warriors*cough*

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 174 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:45 pm

Jack Burton wrote:For mid 80's major events I tend to stick with COIE as the golden boy and that aint a perfect story either.

like i said earlier (and to expound a little), COIE is obviously more important, it's grander in scale, and the art's better. but forced to choose, SW is just consistently more fun to read for me (minus a couple obviously cool moments like the Spectre at the Dawn of Time, Barry's big moment, etc).
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:45 pm

Kent Horton wrote:*cough*raping the new warriors*cough*

The New Warriors had already had a new series where they behaved just like they did in Civil War.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 174 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:46 pm

Twigglet wrote:Is it out of print? A new omnibus coming out? Bendis breathing new life into the Beyonder and making him interesting?

:p
more like people getting really burned out on unreadable crap like HoM and CW and wanting desperately to read something fun and in-character. ;-) increased demand = increased price. :-D
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Kent Horton
Garbage Collector

Postby Kent Horton » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:46 pm

Pfffft. Squadron Supreme pwns them all.

Even if it's an entirely differently genre.

Jack Burton
biny little tird

Liked in: 42 posts

Postby Jack Burton » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:47 pm

cncoyle wrote:I was going to post a link to Secret Wars on Amazon (I got a used trade there for like $7 this summer), but the cheapest they have are now $16 each? WTF happened over the past six months for the used prices to jump up? :?

I saw they had a new hardcover and I was going to maybe get it until I saw Marvel is charging 100 bucks for it because it's an Omnibus. They charge 100 for the FF ones and those contain 30 issues! That's too much to me but to charge almost the same price for less than half the issues? Screw that.

Kent Horton
Garbage Collector

Postby Kent Horton » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:48 pm

Twigglet wrote:The New Warriors had already had a new series where they behaved just like they did in Civil War.

Did you read the mini? I did, and they behaved more like their vol.1 versions than that shit Millar tried to pass off as the Warriors.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 698 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Postby outsider » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:48 pm

chap22 wrote:more like people getting really burned out on unreadable crap like HoM and CW and wanting desperately to read something fun and in-character. ;-) increased demand = increased price. :-D
I dunno, I just bought the 80s Magik series in hardcover format last night (new, not used) for $6.99.
-

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:49 pm

Kent Horton wrote:Pfffft. Squadron Supreme pwns them all.

Even if it's an entirely differently genre.
I consider Squadron Supreme & Watchmen as the comic book equivalents of Catcher in the Rye or Neuromancer--their influence has FAR outreached the actual story's entertainment value.
-

Jack Burton
biny little tird

Postby Jack Burton » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:50 pm

Twigglet wrote:The New Warriors had already had a new series where they behaved just like they did in Civil War.

So because one writer fucked up the characters another writer who uses that same half-brained concept isn't wrong either? Yeah um no.

Thank god Nova made it out and was put in good hands or I'd have really really really pissed instead of really pissed.
Last edited by Jack Burton on Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:50 pm

chap22 wrote:more like people getting really burned out on unreadable crap like HoM and CW and wanting desperately to read something fun and in-character. ;-) increased demand = increased price. :-D

You seen how much Bendis' Alias, Ultimate Spider-man are going for? :P

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:51 pm

Jack Burton wrote:So because one writer fucked up the characters another writer who uses that same half-brained concept isn't wrong either? Yeah um no.

Well, that is how continuity often works.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:52 pm

Jack Burton wrote:Thank god Nova made it out and was put in good hands or I'd have really really really pissed instead of really pissed.
What I don't understand is why they killed Namorita just to bring Namora back from obscurity and use her in basically the same manner. :?
-

Jack Burton
biny little tird

Postby Jack Burton » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:54 pm

cncoyle wrote:What I don't understand is why they killed Namorita just to bring Namora back from obscurity and use her in basically the same manner. :?

Because they realized they screwed up and had to fix it somehow! Bringing Namora back now also adds a whole new level of story because her kid is dead and she has to deal with it. Writers love that kind of stuff.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand