Advertisement

She-Hulk #1 (God, you're magnificent Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

She-Hulk #1 (God, you're magnificent Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:50 am

Another All-New Marvel Now title launches, and this time it’s one of my favourite characters in all of comics, She-Hulk. I’m a big Shulkie fan, and in fact, I would say I prefer her to her more famous, incredible, indestructible cousin. Dan Slott’s run with the character is one of my favourite series’ ever, and I also enjoyed Peter David’s more serious run. I fell off track with She-Hulk during the introduction of Red She-Hulk and Savage She-Hulk, but after a fun tenure as a member of the FF, this relaunch takes Jennifer Walters back to what she does best for me, being a superhero lawyer that, unlike Daredevil, actually does some lawyering from time to time.

This first issue reminds me a lot of Slott’s tenure, but I think Charles Soule brings enough of his own take to it that it doesn’t feel like a rip-off. Soule’s sense of humour is different than Slott’s, and most interestingly of all, Soule himself is an actual New York City Attorney, so even though the storyline here is full of made up superhero guff, he knows the actual law behind it, and can make it all feel real, even with a 7-foot tall green woman in the middle of it.

The issue begins with She-Hulk in her day job as an Attorney for Paine & Luckberg LLP, about to receive her yearly review and find out just how big her bonus is. One thing I did notice throughout this issue was that, even when in her day job, She-Hulk was staying green, can she not go back to just being Jen Walters anymore? Did I miss something? She-Hulk goes in for her review in a very confident state of mind, she’s put in nearly 3,000 billable hours after all. But surprisingly, she’s not getting a bonus at all this year. Why is this? Well, she wasn’t actually hired to be an Attorney, she was hired more for her superhero connections, so she could get Paine & Luckberg working with the likes of Tony Stark, Reed Richards and Danny Rand. These two douchebag bosses aren’t valuing Jen as a Lawyer, just as a superhero. She-Hulk is understandably pissed at this, so before they can fire her, she quits, and then comes back in to destroy their priceless Madripoor table with a single finger.

Now without a job, Jen goes to drown her sorrows in a bar, and because this is a ‘lawyer bar’, she is approached by a woman who needs legal help. It turns out that She-Hulk is uniquely qualified to help this woman out, as the man she is trying to sue is Tony Stark. The woman is the widow of Dr Jonas Harrow (an old Spider-Man villain who was killed by The Hood in Bendis’ New Avengers), and Harrow is alleging that Tony Stark stole the idea of Repulsor Technology from him. She-Hulk heads to Stark Tower to talk to Tony, but as soon as she mentions the word ‘lawsuit’, she is directed to ‘Legal’, who turns out to be a lone, creepy bald man who pretty much stops Jen in her tracks and tells her not to waste her time with this case. The best scene here was Legal’s history of the various Stark companies, which was not only funny, but true, and shows the kind of accuracy Soule is going for in this book. Most people don’t want to remember Stark-Fujikawa or Stark Solutions, but the law has to, and so does Soule. Jen is not perturbed however, and does decide to go to court, but Legal is once again ahead of her and is able to delay and change the proceedings, mostly because of She-Hulk’s relationship with Tony.

You can see what the clear theme of this series is going to be, and it’s how Jen Walters is able to balance being a Lawyer with her superhero life. She’s fired for not leaning on her connections at the start of the issue, and then when she does try to, it gets her in even more trouble. First, Legal is able to use it against her, and later, after finding an important piece of evidence in Harrow’s garage and taking it back to Tony, she gets into a fight with some Robots. Even fellow Avengers can’t get a face to face when the law is involved. After fighting her way through the Robots (interestingly, this fight is entirely off-panel, there’s almost no action in this issue), Jen finally gets to meet with Tony and show him that Stark Industries really did steal from Harrow and get him to write the widow a big fat cheque.

Earlier in the issue, Legal says he is neither good nor bad, only legal, and that applies to Tony Stark here, he’s not the villain of the story, but his outsourcing was, the person who stole the Repulsor idea in the first place was a corrupt employee he never met and was later fired. Soule is not going to have She-Hulk go up against traditional super-villains here, and that’s very exciting indeed. The issue ends with She-Hulk back at the bar, where she is once again met by Mrs Harrow, who writes her lawyer a generous cheque herself, which allows Jen to set up her own Law Firm where she can just get on with the job.

Javier Pulido’s art is a huge part of why this comic worked, he’s got a great, classic style that fits the more comedic moments perfectly, but he can also do action if it ever comes to that. He gives She-Hulk a lot of personality in her face and body language, and you buy her as both a superhero and an attorney. His layouts are also exciting and different throughout, and, much like Soule’s writing, the attention to detail is spot on, such as the newly-rich Mrs Harrow sporting a trendier haircut at the end of this issue. Kevin Wada’s excellent cover also demonstrates the central theme and conflict of the character, with Lawyer Jen sheepishly walking out of a hole in the shape of She-Hulk.

Make no mistake, this is not a traditional superhero comic, as I said, there is little to no action here. Instead, this is a legal drama in a superhero world. If you liked Dan Slott’s run, definitely check this out, and if you (or someone else you know) is a fan of TV shows like The Good Wife, then this is in that same wheelhouse. I can’t wait to see what future cases Soule has in store for She-Hulk, this issue was only the beginning.

Advertisement

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 14 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Re: She-Hulk #1 (God, you're magnificent Spoilers)

Postby chap22 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:54 pm

Punch, you may want to clarify before the old-school uber-nerds (like me) take you to task: Tony still invented the initial repulsor tech. what Harrow invented (and had stolen from him by Stark Solutions) was a small design improvement or some such on that repulsor tech. makes a difference.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 14 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:55 pm

also, yeah I freaking loved this issue.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:47 pm

As I said in the review group it was a very good issue but it reminded me way too much of Slott's She Hulk and current Daredevil run.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:47 pm

As I said in the review group it was a very good issue but it reminded me way too much of Slott's She Hulk and current Daredevil run.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Zechs
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:25 pm

I bought this for Soule, and damn did he blow this out of the park. I loved the legal jargon Jennifer had with Legal over the history of Harrow and Stark's companies. Add DOOM and Kristoff are appearing in future issues? Yeah this book is on my digital pull list along with Superior Foes and Avengers Undercover.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 1 post

Postby doombug » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:31 am

All these new #1's have been fantastic so far.

Punch hit it right on the head comparing this to the Slott run. (Though I'd argue the end of that volume which had the PAD run was pretty great as well)

The Beast
cheese

Postby The Beast » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:02 am

Punchy wrote:Make no mistake, this is not a traditional superhero comic, as I said, there is little to no action here. Instead, this is a legal drama in a superhero world. If you liked Dan Slott’s run, definitely check this out, and if you (or someone else you know) is a fan of TV shows like The Good Wife, then this is in that same wheelhouse.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 1 post

Postby doombug » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:14 am

The Beast wrote:

are you being helped? :smt017

The Beast
cheese

Postby The Beast » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:18 am

doombug wrote:are you being helped? :smt017

Nothing like that, just trying to not say anything at all.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:45 am

The Beast wrote:

You have a problem with The Good Wife?

The Beast
cheese

Postby The Beast » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:54 pm

Punchy wrote:
You have a problem with The Good Wife?

Good review, thanks for the heads up. ;)

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 26 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:46 pm

I really loved this issue.

Between this issue and Swamp thing Charles Soule is quickly becoming a new favourite writer of mine.

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand