Advertisement

She-Hulk #3 (A touch of throb Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 104 posts
Title: This guy, right?

She-Hulk #3 (A touch of throb Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:03 am

Another very fun issue of Shulkie action from Charles Soule and Javier Pulido, this book is already one of my favourites.

The issue begins with She-Hulk (as Jen Walters, this is the first time we’ve seen her in that form in this run) and Kristoff Vernard surrounded by Doombots on the courthouse steps, in a seemingly impossible situation. Soule then flashes back to show us just why She-Hulk decided to take on Kristoff’s case for political asylum. It basically boils down to the fact that he doesn’t want to be King of Latveria when his ‘dad’ dies and he wants to have his own identity. That identity appears to be a snooty womanising jack-ass, but still, it’s better than Doctor Doom. The problem here is that there’s a strict time window for claiming asylum in America, you have to do it within 1 year of your arrival in the States and Kristoff, well, he’s been in America for exactly 1 year to the day. So it’s a race against time. This is the kind of thing that non-Lawyers probably wouldn’t know, so again, we see how cool it is to have a real-life Lawyer like Soule writing this character.

Rather than take a taxi, they get in Kristoff’s personal Limousine, but of course, the driver, Ernst, is a Doombot who tries to drive them to the Airport and back to Latveria instead. She-Hulk takes down Ernsbot, and luckily finds an old Fantasticar in one of the Airport Hangers to fly them to Court. But as we’ve seen, there’s only going to be more Doombots. Which means that She-Hulk has to come up with a plan.

That plan brings us back to the start of the issue, with Jen and Kristoff surrounded. Jen Hulks up and Kristoff, we’ll, he’s not Kristoff at all, it’s actually Patsy Walker, Hellcat (she should always be referred to that way I think, like Maximus The Mad) who proceeds to kick some serious Doombot ass. Last issue kind of made Patsy Walker, Hellcat out to be a bit of a loser, but here, Soule shows that she is a competent superhero and a good addition to the cast. Jen is able to make it into court and plead her case for Kristoff, which is granted by the judge, but as soon as she hammers down her gavel, the real Doom shows up and just flies off with his son. So it was all for nothing really. But was it? Jen vows to go get Kristoff back, and I imagine we’ll see that next issue.

In this final courthouse scene there’s an interesting moment involving Angie and her monkey. A security guard comes up to tell her that animals aren’t allowed in the courtroom, but Angie manages to get an exception. There’s something seriously creepy about that monkey, and now it looks like it, or it’s owner, has mind-control powers. Javier Pulido’s art was once again brilliant, every page looked stylish and the characters are just brimming with personality. Kristoff’s sneer was spot-on. I really am enjoying this book, it’s up there with Dan Slott’s run already, and that’s no joke.

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 438 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: She-Hulk #3 (A touch of throb Spoilers)

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:58 pm

Punchy wrote:In this final courthouse scene there’s an interesting moment involving Angie and her monkey. A security guard comes up to tell her that animals aren’t allowed in the courtroom, but Angie manages to get an exception. There’s something seriously creepy about that monkey, and now it looks like it, or it’s owner, has mind-control powers.

Agreed, yeah, they definitely have powers of some kind, or at least one of them does. I'm wondering where Soule is going with these two characters. I figure that it should be fun finding out.

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand