Advertisement

DC Shocker: Dan Didio Doesn't Know Difference Between Batwomen

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 881 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Re: DC Shocker: Dan Didio Doesn't Know Difference Between Ba

Postby outsider » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:25 pm

Herald wrote:
I had been considering posting that video, since Log-Man mentioned the word. :lol:
You are too late! :lol: :smt102
-

Advertisement

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 395 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:27 pm

Lord Simian wrote:
Too slow, then! :twisted:

*Dr. Claw voice* "I'll get you next time, Simian! NEXT TIME!!" :x
*Cat-Scratch meows angrily*

:smt102 :P

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 395 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 295 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:36 pm

Still no evidence.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Lauren Buxton
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 235 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: DC Shocker: Dan Didio Doesn't Know Difference Between Batwomen

Postby Lauren Buxton » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:55 pm

Actually, no, her name is Katherine. References to her as Kathy in 52 can be chalked up to the same early installment weirdness as the high heeled boots she had at the time and various more minor changes to her costume since then. It isn't a name that's been used in her run on Detective Comics or in her ongoing series.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Re: RE: DC Shocker: Dan Didio Doesn't Know Difference Betwee

Postby Zechs » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:18 pm

FBtron wrote:Actually, no, her name is Katherine. References to her as Kathy in 52 can be chalked up to the same early installment weirdness as the high heeled boots she had at the time and various more minor changes to her costume since then. It isn't a name that's been used in her run on Detective Comics or in her ongoing series.

Like she was just a normal skin tone before Detective Comics where she went completely goth and pale skinned. A various evolution of the character just like Cassandra Cain didn't get her actual name until dang I don't even know. I want to say near the end of the Puckett/Scott era.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

CyclopsWasRight
underclassman

Liked in: 0 post

Postby CyclopsWasRight » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:27 am

I think the main problem here isn't that Dan doesn't know the difference between these two characters but more that he's allowed to go on record by his company without being briefed properly. I'm not the head of a company, I'm not the public face of anything, I just argue with people on the internet - but when I do that, I tend to check my facts first. It's just a google search away, usually. This is even worse because it seems like not only does Dan wade in without knowing what he's talking about, no one in DC seems to be there to help him or control this kind of thing.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1046 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:50 am

CyclopsWasRight wrote:I think the main problem here isn't that Dan doesn't know the difference between these two characters but more that he's allowed to go on record by his company without being briefed properly. I'm not the head of a company, I'm not the public face of anything, I just argue with people on the internet - but when I do that, I tend to check my facts first. It's just a google search away, usually. This is even worse because it seems like not only does Dan wade in without knowing what he's talking about, no one in DC seems to be there to help him or control this kind of thing.

I remember last year, during the Before Watchman debacle, Tim Marchman did an article ripping into Before Watchmen for the Daily Beast. Len Wein was interviewed for this article, and Marchman made a point of pointing out that Wein was assigned a handler (referred to as "Pam," she is Pamela Mullin, a DC PR person similar to Alex Segura):

Having no idea how this could happen, I ended up on the phone with Len Wein, who edited Watchmen, and as a writer helped create iconic superheroes Wolverine for Marvel and Swamp Thing for DC. Wein is writing two of the new Watchmen comics, including Ozymandias, which debuts tomorrow. I wouldn’t say he was yelling at me, but he was speaking with exclamation marks, which because he seems like a nice guy, I’d ascribe at least in part to occupational hazards.

“These are not shady business dealings!” he said. I had just told him that I thought an argument he was dismissing was really about shady business dealings.

They certainly strike the outside world as incredibly shady, I said.

“I’m sure Pam’s going to jump in here,” he said, “but I completely disagree with you!”

“And it’s not his place,” said Pam, “to talk about the business.”

Pam, who had arranged and was monitoring the call, works in some capacity for either DC Comics or its parent, DC Entertainment, a division of Warner Bros. whose mission, according to a press release from a few years ago, is “to fully realize the power and value of the DC Comics brand and characters across all media and platforms.” Warner Bros. is itself one of the many subsidiaries of Time Warner, which has annual revenues larger than the gross domestic product of about half of U.N. member states, which I mention because it suggests the scale of the vast unyielding drive for profit that has led to, among many more obviously horrible things, Before Watchmen. (I should also mention that I have happily cashed Time Warner checks.)

“Pardon?” I said.

“It’s not Len’s place to talk about the business!” said Pam. “He can really only talk about what he’s writing and what he’s doing with these characters now.” Which, fair enough.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... eturn.html

Fucking hilarious, and Marchman did a few editorials around this time which are worth checking out.

But the point is, DC at one point in time, somewhat recently, did have people whose job it was to make sure no one is making an ass out of the company in public, even to the point of humiliating a legendary comics pro.

This seems like something they should have continued doing.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 481 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Maybe Dan Didio DOES Know the Difference Between Batwomen

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:55 pm

Bat Fun Fact: In Batwoman #25 (the Zero Year tie-in which takes place 6 years ago) Alfred addresses her as "Kathy". She corrects him because she now prefers to be called "Kate".
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 997 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:46 pm

uber sensitive nitpicking, imo.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 150 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:36 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:uber sensitive nitpicking, imo.

100% this. Kate...Katherine...Kathy...all derivations of the same name. Why is this an issue???

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Re: Maybe Dan Didio DOES Know the Difference Between Batwome

Postby Zechs » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:00 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:Bat Fun Fact: In Batwoman #25 (the Zero Year tie-in which takes place 6 years ago) Alfred addresses her as "Kathy". She corrects him because she now prefers to be called "Kate".

Bat Fun Fact: This was also the first issue of the new creative team that replaced the previous one which was removed from finishing their run. This was also the first issue that was part of a cross over. A first for the book which played around in it's own universe.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Maybe Dan Didio DOES Know the Difference Between Batwomen

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:30 pm

Which has what to do with this ? :lol:

And you're half-right. The new creative team includes Jeremy Haun who doesn't take over on art until next week's #26.

Batwoman has always been part of the regular DCU and Bat-verses, too.

But keep grasping at those straws and smoke-screens, Zechs.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 300 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:33 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:Batwoman has always been part of the regular DCU and Bat-verses, too.

Before 52 the series how many decades had it been since we'd seen Batwoman?

And why was this bumped 3 months later =/

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:59 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:
Before 52 the series how many decades had it been since we'd seen Batwoman?

Zechs and I are referring to the current Batwoman title and whether or not she's in her "own universe".

I bumped the thread because I was re-reading Batwoman #25 today which made me think of this thread.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand