Advertisement

DC Shocker: Dan Didio Doesn't Know Difference Between Batwomen

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 282 posts

Postby LOLtron » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:37 am

The DC Co-Publisher doesn't know the difference between Golden Age Batwoman Kathy Kane and Modern Batwoman Kate Kane.

Source: Dan Didio Talks Batwoman At Baltimore Comic Con

At the Baltimore Comic Con yesterday, Dan Didio spoke in length about Batwoman Kathy Kane and the controversy that's enveloped the character this week. This resulted in confusion from the audience due to the fact there is no controversy surrounding Kathy Kane. You see, Kathy Kane is the Silver Age Batwoman, created in 1956, who just recently appeared in the final issue of Grant Morrison and Chris Burnham's Batman Inc vol. 2. The current Batwoman, who was the subject of this week's scandal, is actually named Kate Kane.

Whoops! Didio mistakenly (and repeatedly, as you can see in this video posted by Bleeding Cool), referred to the wrong Batwoman and was never corrected. Heck, in all the craziness, we didn't even notice, even though we covered this issue all week (it was this reporter that first noticed the story).

This confusion is obviously why there are so few female Bat characters currently being produced by DC Comics. After all, when the co-publisher can't bother to get the actual name of a character that his company is currently publishing and claims to support 100% right, how is he supposed to keep track of on-the-shelf characters like Cassandra Cain or Stephanie Brown? Maybe that's the reason why fans keep bringing these names up at cons. Just to remind the forgetful Didio, and to make sure his ears aren't just hearing the name "Barbara Gordon." It would certainly explain why that character keeps appearing everywhere like a ginger Wolverine, leaving the other two beloved characters in limbo. There's only so many female Bat characters an aging executive can keep track of.

Didio's mistake further illustrates the narrow mindset of DC regarding "toxic" characters. The only characters DC seems to think about are Silver Age ones, which obviously fits with the forty-five year old fanbase DC claims to publish comics for.

Giving Dan the benefit of the doubt, this reporter will be kind hearted person that he is and reach out to him with a helping hand to differentiate all these pesky Batwomen.

Dan, here's Kathy Kane, the first Batwoman:

Now, I know this is hard given you probably didn't realize this character existed until this Wednesday when you were forced to endure those damn kids on the Twitter complaining about her, but here's Kate Kane the current Batwoman:

Hopefully, now you'll know the difference and if you need ANY help recognizing the numerous Batgirls whose names are not Barbara Gordon, this reporter will be happy to extend that olive branch as well and help you at ANY Chicago Comic Con you attend next year, provided he doesn't get dragged into a secret conference room to be lectured about our snarky articles again. Just whip out your Jitterbug cell phone and give me a call. Zechs is here to help, Dan.

Written or Contributed by Zechs

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Kris Rom
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 202 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: DC Shocker: Dan Didio Doesn't Know Difference Between Batwomen

Postby Kris Rom » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:52 pm

He was just confused about those pesky Batwomen! The same way he was confused about Aquaman and Mera not being married, even though the DC WEBSITE itself says that they ARE!

Poor confused Dan!

Alex Parker
FACEBOOKTron

Postby Alex Parker » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:48 pm

Man, this article is so full of fail. Kate is SHORT for Kathy!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1079 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: RE: DC Shocker: Dan Didio Doesn't Know Difference Betwee

Postby Grayson » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:55 pm

FBtron wrote:Man, this article is so full of fail. Kate is SHORT for Kathy!

Sometimes that is true, however, in this case there are actually two characters with very similar names. Kate Kane is the star of the Batwoman comic in question. Kathy Kane is a completely separate character who Grant Morrison established actually is still in continuity during his Batman Incorporated run. :smt102
ImageImageImage

Alex Parker
FACEBOOKTron

Postby Alex Parker » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:02 pm

OK, but the fact remains that the current Batwoman's name IS Kathy Kane. (I went to Wikipedia to verify this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batwoman#Kate_Kane).

I was at the panel, I guarantee you he was not confused, nor was a single person there or anywhere else confused about who he was talking about. Why do you think they picked "Kate" anyways?

I know it's more fun to be all "F#(* DC!" but on this particular issue, there's no there there.

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Re: DC Shocker: Dan Didio Doesn't Know Difference Between Ba

Postby syxxpakk » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:08 pm

Yeah, this is a stretch.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 368 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:09 pm

Grayson wrote:
Sometimes that is true, however, in this case there are actually two characters with very similar names. Kate Kane is the star of the Batwoman comic in question. Kathy Kane is a completely separate character who Grant Morrison established actually is still in continuity during his Batman Incorporated run. :smt102

Indeed. Everyone knows that, for the purposes of telling the Batwomen apart, Kathy Kane and Kate Kane are two different ladies. You don't use one name to talk about the other character. Sorry, but it's yet another screw-up for Danny-boy.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 427 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:16 pm

syxxpakk wrote:Yeah, this is a stretch.

As is that shitty Youtube audio clip you can barely fucking hear. :lol:
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1079 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:21 pm

FBtron wrote:OK, but the fact remains that the current Batwoman's name IS Kathy Kane. (I went to Wikipedia to verify this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batwoman#Kate_Kane).

I was at the panel, I guarantee you he was not confused, nor was a single person there or anywhere else confused about who he was talking about. Why do you think they picked "Kate" anyways?

I know it's more fun to be all "F#(* DC!" but on this particular issue, there's no there there.

I really doesn't effect me one way or the other. The article is obviously supposed to be satirical in nature but whether you find it funny or not is up to you. Considering the author's history with the company in question, it's understandable that he is a little extra critical in his commentary.
ImageImageImage

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 368 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:24 pm

Here's a real-life example: Does anyone here watch America's Got Talent?? Two of the judges are HOWARD Stern and HOWIE Mandel. We all know that "Howie" is the diminuitive form of "Howard", but, for the purposes of telling the two men apart, you make sure to call Stern "Howard", and Mandel "Howie". If, say, fellow judge Mel B. was to try calling Stern "Howie", the King of All Media might well take offense! :P

As it goes with Howard and Howie, so it goes with Kathy and Kate.
Tell Dan-o to do something RIGHT, for ONCE.
Last edited by Herald on Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:26 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:
As is that shitty Youtube audio clip you can barely fucking hear. :lol:

He could have been calling her Slartibartfast for all I could tell. :smt102

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 249 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:26 pm

Grayson wrote:

Exactly, which is why I went the story. There's two different Batwomen named Kate and Kathy. Counter hasn't been reset though as you'll notice.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:27 pm

We are also not the only ones to notice the error too.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:28 pm

Zechs wrote:Exactly, which is why I went the story. There's two different Batwomen named Kate and Kathy. Counter hasn't been reset though as you'll notice.

The DC Counter or the Zechs Counter?

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:30 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
The DC Counter or the Zechs Counter?

I have a Zechs counter?

leave a comment with facebook