Advertisement

DC Shocker: Geoff Johns Fired from Green Lantern

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 0 post
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Re: DC Shocker: Geoff Johns Fired from Green Lantern

Postby superfictious » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:51 am

HNutz wrote:
Wait... Morrision's leaving Superman soon.

Coincidence? Or will he be moving over to GL?

I think he's done with superheroes for the foreseeable future.

Who's the main person doing the GL cartoon? I love the writing for that show.

Advertisement

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:04 pm

Ugh. If Snyder/Tomasi leave Batman and I'm done with DC.

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: ライダー変身!
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:16 pm

False Prophet wrote:
I think he's done with superheroes for the foreseeable future.

Who's the main person doing the GL cartoon? I love the writing for that show.

I really disliked the first episode and never went back. I think Jim Krieg is the story editor. Episodes have different writers. Art Baltazar did the comic version.

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:27 pm

sdsichero wrote:
I really disliked the first episode and never went back. I think Jim Krieg is the story editor. Episodes have different writers. Art Baltazar did the comic version.

The show's really come into its own. The current Anti-Monitor story is great.

Herald
WTF is this rank?

Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:43 pm

False Prophet wrote:
The show's really come into its own. The current Anti-Monitor story is great.

In spite of my general disdain for Geoff's Lucky Charms Corps concept, I agree that the show has become pretty good. (YJ is still better, mind you, but hey...)

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:52 pm

Herald wrote:
In spite of my general disdain for Geoff's Lucky Charms Corps concept, I agree that the show has become pretty good. (YJ is still better, mind you, but hey...)

I wouldn't mind seeing the YJ showrunners do some comic work.

guitargod694
Rorshach Test Subject

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Total Spaceship Guy

Postby guitargod694 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:56 pm

I mostly enjoyed John's GL stuff up to Blackest Night. That was bad enough that I stopped there.

In retrospect, it peaked at the Sinestro Corps War, but I like some of the red/orange lantern stuff ok, too.
-Bill-

Herald
WTF is this rank?

Postby Herald » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:57 pm

False Prophet wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing the YJ showrunners do some comic work.

Done and done.

Greg Weisman is the producer and one of the writers for YJ.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:03 pm

Herald wrote:
Done and done.

Greg Weisman is the producer and one of the writers for YJ.

Sadly, DC isn't smart enough to hire them.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Herald
WTF is this rank?

Postby Herald » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:10 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
Sadly, DC isn't smart enough to hire them.

As always, pre-DiDio DC is infinitely smarter than DiDio-era DC. 8)

It's probably why Captain Atom comes off pretty well in YJ, as opposed to being the guy Supergirl decried as needing to "take the stick out, Corporal" in JLU.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1 post
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:56 pm

Drcharles wrote:I've enjoyed his stories on Green Lantern, he made the book in to what it is today, regardless of the nay-Sayers here, and many people must have thought the book was worth supporting, even going as far as making a film out of the character. I’m sorry to see him go, there appears to be changes afoot that will affect the comics that I will be getting it appears. Hawkman is one of them and now GL.

I don't think anybody here is trying to take anything away from what Geoff Johns has done for the Green Lantern franchise. Whether you like what he has done or not, the man took a franchise that was going nowhere and turned it into the most important franchise at DC, second only to Batman. I'll admit, I have been a fan of almost all of Geoff Johns' run on the title. It was a little rocky after Blackest Night but after the relaunch the quality of the title really took a nosedive for me personally, especially with the introduction of Simon Baz.

The current story line of a Muslim GL must have pissed a few people off, maybe that’s contributed to Geoff moving on?

I don't think the problem is something as simple as the fact that the character is Muslim. Certainly that may have been a part of it but the way that Simon Baz was introduced to new and old readers alike didn't help. As I pointed out earlier the character is Muslim, an unemployed engineer, a street racer, a car thief, a suspected terrorist, and now a Green Lantern. That's a lot of stuff to dump onto a brand new character at one time, especially at the beginning of a storyline that for all intents and purposes should include the characters that you are dropping in favor of this new character. That's not exactly new reader friendly. It's like Johns watched one of the Fast and Furious movies while also watching a Homeland marathon prior to getting the go ahead to create a 5th Green Lantern of Earth.

Speaking of the fifth Green Lantern of Earth, I'm sure that another problem with how the character has been received is the fact that he is the fifth Green Lantern of Earth. Dick Grayson was dropped as the second Batman, Stephanie Brown and Cassie Cain were written out of existence as previous Batgirls, and arguably the best Flash, Wally West's entire existence has been completely erased...but yeah, it's completely cool to have FIVE Green Lanterns from Earth. It just doesn't make any sense.
ImageImageImage

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:10 pm

I don't mind that there are so many human GL's. I figure some races are just more susceptible to certain rings.

Herald
WTF is this rank?

Postby Herald » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:12 pm

Grayson wrote:
I don't think anybody here is trying to take anything away from what Geoff Johns has done for the Green Lantern franchise. Whether you like what he has done or not, the man took a franchise that was going nowhere and turned it into the most important franchise at DC, second only to Batman.

I beg to differ. Frankly, he won't prove to me that he's done that until some time after he's left the title. I'm still convinced that people weren't buying Green Lantern so much as they were buying Geoff Johns Monthly #1, in which ANY character could have been the star and it being Hal Jordan/Sinestro/Baz is pretty much coincidental. Many people -- including many people HERE, i remind you, as you guys have said time and again -- buy these books for the WRITER, not the character. So it's no surprise that people are going to buy in droves whatever book a "hot writer" is writing.

Moreover, Geoff is not just a "hot writer", he is the Chief Creative Officer of the company. Thus, any book Geoff is writing becomes An Important Book to Buy in Order to Keep Up with the DCnU. And many fans want to do just that, so of course a lot of readers are going to flock to whatever book the man primarily in control of the DCU is writing. This is especially true when the major crossovers of the past few years have sprouted directly from his books: Blackest Night, Flashpoint, the upcoming Trinity War. Gotta have been reading Geoff's GL to understand why these dead characters with black Lantern rings are tormenting all your non-Lantern heroes this month! Shame on you if you haven't been!

As I said, I've been waiting for YEARS for Geoff to get off the GL book so the subsequent numbers can dutifully demonstrate what I'm saying, so I can't wait for those results. It's not just GL, either; I say the same thing about people's incredulity about Aquaman (That's "Geoff Johns Monthly #3" to YOU!) selling. I'm absolutely sure if DC claimed that Geoff was leaving that book, too, but he continued to ghostwrite it under somebody else's name, those sales would also plummet.

Bottom line: People are buying these books for the tagline "Written by Geoff Johns!! :shock:", and it doesn't matter who the story is about... and, even more to the point, it doesn't even matter how badly Geoff writes the book! *points to his Justice League run, which so many people complain about but STILL grab every month*

I literally underscore this point: Even QUALITY doesn't count at all! Geoff Johns is an important writer and CCO, so it doesn't matter what utter crap he's giving you, "Don't Ask, Just BUY!!"

I don't think the problem is something as simple as the fact that the character is Muslim. Certainly that may have been a part of it but the way that Simon Baz was introduced to new and old readers alike didn't help. As I pointed out earlier the character is Muslim, an unemployed engineer, a street racer, a car thief, a suspected terrorist, and now a Green Lantern. That's a lot of stuff to dump onto a brand new character at one time, especially at the beginning of a storyline that for all intents and purposes should include the characters that you are dropping in favor of this new character. That's not exactly new reader friendly. It's like Johns watched one of the Fast and Furious movies while also watching a Homeland marathon prior to getting the go ahead to create a 5th Green Lantern of Earth.

See, here's a good example. You and others point out how poorly handled Baz is... but you're still getting that Geoff-written GL book!

Like I said, it's going to be VERY interesting to see the scales fall off many a GL buyer's eyes once Geoff Johns's name is no longer plastered on the cover...

Juan Cena
DANG!

Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:06 am

Herald wrote:
See, here's a good example. You and others point out how poorly handled Baz is... but you're still getting that Geoff-written GL book!

Like I said, it's going to be VERY interesting to see the scales fall off many a GL buyer's eyes once Geoff Johns's name is no longer plastered on the cover...

It will pretty much depend on who actually is replacing Johns on the book. If it's a Scott Snyder or a Jeff Lemire, there may be more than enough people who might stick around, and quite a few more who might pick it up. If it's Lobell or one of Harras' 90's buddies, then GL is screwed.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Herald
WTF is this rank?

Postby Herald » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:14 am

Juan Cena wrote:
It will pretty much depend on who actually is replacing Johns on the book. If it's a Scott Snyder or a Jeff Lemire, there may be more than enough people who might stick around, and quite a few more who might pick it up. If it's Lobell or one of Harras' 90's buddies, then GL is screwed.

Like I said, people buy for the writer.

The problem remains that said writer won't be Hot Writer and CCO Geoff Johns, and the book will no longer be An Important Book to Buy in Order to Keep Up with the DCnU, so those numbers are still going to take a hit.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand