Advertisement

DC Shocker: Geoff Johns Fired from Green Lantern

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 463 posts

Re: DC Shocker: Geoff Johns Fired from Green Lantern

Postby HNutz » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:34 am

Herald wrote:
Like I said, people buy for the writer.

The problem remains that said writer won't be Hot Writer and CCO Geoff Johns, and the book will no longer be An Important Book to Buy in Order to Keep Up with the DCnU, so those numbers are still going to take a hit.

You might have a point now.

But 10 years ago? He was only writing Flash, I believe, when he started Green Lantern: Rebirth.

Regardless of whether or not you like it, kinda like Bendis' Avengers, it's hard to argue that he didn't reinvigorate the franchise. Or, in Green Lantern's case, develop it into a franchise with several titles.

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 283 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:08 am

A Muslim GL might be cool if he was more than just a tool to promote diversity among the company's properties. In this case, it just sounds like he's there to stir a pot.

I liked what Geoff Johns did with GL from Rebirth to Sinestro Corps War. He took a really uninteresting property and made it appeal. In some manner, he managed to take a property that was a cool concept and work it to the point where people who were not interested in the company jumped on board. It was a great comic right up until he started giving us all the colours of the rainbow. Granted, much of it was a Silver Age love song, but the same can be said about Bendis and Avengers.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 283 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:09 am

HNutz wrote:

But 10 years ago? He was only writing Flash, I believe, when he started Green Lantern: Rebirth.

Regardless of whether or not you like it, kinda like Bendis' Avengers, it's hard to argue that he didn't reinvigorate the franchise. Or, in Green Lantern's case, develop it into a franchise with several titles.

I think he was writing JSA and Teen Titans as well.

guitargod694
Post Whore

Liked in: 72 posts
Title: Total Spaceship Guy

Postby guitargod694 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:55 am

HNutz wrote:

Yeah, he had done Teen Titans and Hawkman as well. But your point is still valid.
He had some clout when Rebirth started, but at that time the book's draw had a lot more to do with Hal Jordan returning than Johns' name on the cover.
-Bill-

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 293 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:29 am

Remember the good old days when things were simpler ? :P

Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 162 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:57 am

jaxstraww wrote:I'm almost 40 and I buy the books for the character not the writer. Back in my younger days it was Hal and it took 1-3 books to get a story in. Like it was said with the 5th GL everything is rushed and summarized in just a book or two. Having so many GL's IMO cannibalizes the character. Back in the day we didn't have so manyy GL titles. Just a mess right now to keep track of everything. IMO I liked it better when Hal was in a fight and he had a book or two to kick some ass. Now the stories are vast involving dozens of characters. I think its noble to have such a large story like blackest night but its also just as taxing to follow over so many titles. I miss the GL volume 2 days....and I disagree that Wally was the best flash....Barry from the 80's was the better read.
Sent from my SPH-M930BST using Tapatalk 2

no. no no no no no no NO.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 210 posts

Postby GHERU » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:24 pm

For me, the only real reason that Wally is the better Flash is because of his story. Of all the characters the Big Two have, if you read Wally's Flash book from beginning to end he is the only (probably) major character that was allowed to grow up. Single, rich, poor, loved, womanizer, hated, married, separated, father, and everything in between. Wally went through his 20s the same way real people do, with personal challenges and life lessons that actually stuck and had consequences.

Going back and reading Barry as Flash, IMO, is painful in how adequate it was
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 162 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:39 pm

GHERU wrote:For me, the only real reason that Wally is the better Flash is because of his story. Of all the characters the Big Two have, if you read Wally's Flash book from beginning to end he is the only (probably) major character that was allowed to grow up. Single, rich, poor, loved, womanizer, hated, married, separated, father, and everything in between. Wally went through his 20s the same way real people do, with personal challenges and life lessons that actually stuck and had consequences.

Going back and reading Barry as Flash, IMO, is painful in how adequate it was

yep. and i say that as somebody who actually liked/likes Barry and read a good portion of his run from about issue 285 to the end. but while Barry had some fun stories, he never had anything as good as Return of Barry Allen, or Terminal Velocity, or a bunch of other stuff from Waid's and Johns's runs. and i still think the whole Trial of the Flash thing and aftermath went on way too long.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:49 pm

guitargod694 wrote:
Yeah, he had done Teen Titans and Hawkman as well. But your point is still valid.
He had some clout when Rebirth started, but at that time the book's draw had a lot more to do with Hal Jordan returning than Johns' name on the cover.

I guess Silver Age fans are still out there.

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 275 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:13 pm

HNutz wrote:

As with many of my points concerning DiDio-era DC, I fervently wish I didn't have that point. But there it is.

He also had a beloved run of JSA going, had Rescued the previously "radioactive" Hawkman from the Scrappy Heap, and was about to start writing Teen Titans.

I actually liked Geoff 10 years ago, before he started ruining the Young Justice characters in Teen Titans, and only got worse from there... :-(

Green Lantern was a 4-book franchise BEFORE Geoff.

There were 4 GL-related titles in the early '90s, prior to the Executive Meddling that ruined it all: GL, GL: Mosaic (starring John Stewart -- If current Geoff is so great, why can't John get an ongoing starring role under his rule, hmmm??), Guy Gardner, and GL Quarterly.

Contrary to current popular belief and "Captain Retcon" Johns's constant ego-stroke tampering with history, Green Lantern and DC comics in general were on the map BEFORE Geoff got here. And they didn't need to destroy the uniqueness of the Lantern concept by making readers "Taste the Rainbow!" in order to achieve it.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 108 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:02 pm

Herald wrote:
As with many of my points concerning DiDio-era DC, I fervently wish I didn't have that point. But there it is.

He also had a beloved run of JSA going, had Rescued the previously "radioactive" Hawkman from the Scrappy Heap, and was about to start writing Teen Titans.

I actually liked Geoff 10 years ago, before he started ruining the Young Justice characters in Teen Titans, and only got worse from there... :-(

Green Lantern was a 4-book franchise BEFORE Geoff.

There were 4 GL-related titles in the early '90s, prior to the Executive Meddling that ruined it all: GL, GL: Mosaic (starring John Stewart -- If current Geoff is so great, why can't John get an ongoing starring role under his rule, hmmm??), Guy Gardner, and GL Quarterly.

Contrary to current popular belief and "Captain Retcon" Johns's constant ego-stroke tampering with history, Green Lantern and DC comics in general were on the map BEFORE Geoff got here. And they didn't need to destroy the uniqueness of the Lantern concept by making readers "Taste the Rainbow!" in order to achieve it.

Mosaic was canceled after 18 issues.
Guy Gardner lasted 44 issues.
GL Corps Quarterly lasted 8 issues.

That's hardly a franchise there.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 275 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:19 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
Mosaic was canceled after 18 issues.
Guy Gardner lasted 44 issues.
GL Corps Quarterly lasted 8 issues.

That's hardly a franchise there.

That's hardly a collection of all the facts there. :P
Like I said, there was Executive Meddling afoot.

GL: Mosaic was loved by readers well enough, as it was selling just fine. But DC Editorial hated the book, so they cancelled it.

John did a good job cleaning up the place!
But his bosses didn't like it
So they shot him into space!

:P

GL Corps Quarterly was cancelled not due to sales, but due to DC Editorial mandating Emerald Twilight, which -- :shock: Spoiler Alert!! :shock: -- wiped out the titular GL Corps!

And Guy Gardner, also due to DC Editorial's Emerald Twilighting, had Crazy Hal destroy his yellow ring, thus necessitating him gaining the Vuldarian powers and becoming Warrior -- a move many fans didn't like, which therefore hobbled the character's sales.

So you see, Editorial systematically dismantled the '90s GL franchise of their own accord.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:40 pm

Herald wrote:
That's hardly a collection of all the facts there. :P
Like I said, there was Executive Meddling afoot.

GL: Mosaic was loved by readers well enough, as it was selling just fine. But DC Editorial hated the book, so they cancelled it.

John did a good job cleaning up the place!
But his bosses didn't like it
So they shot him into space!

:P

GL Corps Quarterly was cancelled not due to sales, but due to DC Editorial mandating Emerald Twilight, which -- :shock: Spoiler Alert!! :shock: -- wiped out the titular GL Corps!

And Guy Gardner, also due to DC Editorial's Emerald Twilighting, had Crazy Hal destroy his yellow ring, thus necessitating him gaining the Vuldarian powers and becoming Warrior -- a move many fans didn't like, which therefore hobbled the character's sales.

So you see, Editorial systematically dismantled the '90s GL franchise of their own accord.

I never had the chance to read Mosaic.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand