Monday, June 27, 2016 • Morning Edition • "Your boob-window into the world of comics."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

DC Shocker: Justin Jordan Walks Off Superboy

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:25 pm

LOLtron wrote:due to creative and editorial differences. 

Editoral doesn't understand creativity?

Jim Martin

FACEBOOKTron

Postby Jim Martin » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:36 pm

At this point I think we have to realize that unless your name is Snyder or Johns, that the days of the writer setting a creative direction for a title is gone and instead of being called writers, they are more akin to being script writers with most of the DC books. Which is not what I want from a comic, so I'm happy to see so many great projects coming from everywhere else.

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:52 pm

FBtron wrote:At this point I think we have to realize that unless your name is Snyder or Johns, that the days of the writer setting a creative direction for a title is gone and instead of being called writers, they are more akin to being script writers with most of the DC books. Which is not what I want from a comic, so I'm happy to see so many great projects coming from everywhere else.

I am still amazed Brian Azzarello STILL is writing Wonder Woman. It's a miracle!!

bkthomson

Rain Partier

Postby bkthomson » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:18 pm

Zechs wrote:
I am still amazed Brian Azzarello STILL is writing Wonder Woman. It's a miracle!!

He has proven himself to be almost on the higher echelon of DC writers.

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:42 pm

Zechs wrote:

Pics of Johns in a Cassandra Cain Batgirl costume

SporkBot

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby SporkBot » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:21 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
They just blame social media.

Right. I recently remarked elsewhere that I have no faith in DC to realize what their problem is, and what actually needs fixing. My bro (who doesn't collect the superhero stuff anymore) retorted that declining sales would force them to realize there's a problem and adjust accordingly. And honestly, I don't think DC is capable of those connections accurately anymore. If I drop Batgirl, are they going to think that it's because of it's female writer? Because it's centered on a...GIRL? Or that some of these characters are just cheap attempts at shock value (new Ventriloquist) and some moments reek of pandering (like Babs flabbergasted at what "a real hero" Batwoman is)?

I think they've invested too much in this New52 venture, financially and emotionally, that they don't want to admit it was all a poorly-executed fan-fiction love letter to the 1990's. And when I hear things like Didio or someone blaming social media for their bad press...that sounds like utter denial at best, and stupidity at worst, in any event supporting my theory.

But, I'm always willing to see things from more than one side. So perhaps DC hasn't had as much experience with the well-thought-out arguments against their New52 changes. Maybe what they seem to be focusing on more, "you *expletive*-*expletive*s suck! You can *expletive expletive* orangutan *expletive* marinara sauce *expletive* on a train track! I could write better *expletive* than this!!!" There's a chance they've not read quite as much from the more discerning fans that can actually structure sentences and words in a readable form, in a cordial and respectful manner. Thus, from their perspective, they are left with only the idea that there's something wrong with social media's penchant for going viral for anything with the remotest hint of schadenfreude .

Although, I could totally write a better story than some these guys.

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:21 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
Pics of Johns in a Cassandra Cain Batgirl costume

Whaaat?

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:23 pm

draco x wrote:So how many walkouts has it been currently? I seemed to have lost count myself as there are so many cases.

Yeah, it's like every week someone quits. At this rate, DC's 52 titles will be left with no writers in a year.

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:37 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
They just blame social media.

That's Didio Speak for this place.

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:10 pm

This is announced just in time for SDCC. Coincidence?

Arion wrote:
Yeah, it's like every week someone quits. At this rate, DC's 52 titles will be left with no writers in a year.

I'd love to write one. :)

Spektre

penile prisoner

Postby Spektre » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:34 pm

Arion wrote:

We can only hope. Then perhaps the read characters can return.

Lord Ice

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Lord Ice » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:58 pm

Spektre wrote:
We can only hope. Then perhaps the read characters can return.

And more importantly, this overindulgent Elseworlds story can end.

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:59 pm

Zechs wrote:
Whaaat?

You heard me.

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:02 pm

My god, Lord Ice's sig is humongous. :lol:

TimH

dINGO

Postby TimH » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:24 am

GOSD wrote:
DC should have 3 books. Batman, Superman and WW.

They really need to look in the mirror. Something is very wrong in that company.

Ha, I can only wish Diana was considered an anchor of DC. We'd have "Greek Sister Books" (akin to "Bat-Books"). Cassie would be half-Greek again. Donna would have her own solo title.*

* Oh, crap. Did I reveal too much by revealing that I call Diana, Donna, and Cassie by their first names?

leave a comment with facebook