Advertisement

DC Shocker: The Movement Cancelled

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Re: RE: DC Shocker: The Movement Cancelled

Postby Punchy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:10 pm

FBtron wrote:Hmm, that’s weird. I would have thought political correctness, class warfare and gender politics would have been a better sell.

It gets a lot of tumblr reblogs, but obviously they don't translate to sales.

Advertisement

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 293 posts

Re: DC Shocker: The Movement Cancelled

Postby GHERU » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:17 pm

Draco x wrote:Wasn't surprised to hear this as the sales for the book weren't that great overall.

that is some deep analysis
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 346 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:22 pm

AngusH wrote:I didn't read a single comic between 1994 and late 2011. The New 52 re-launch actually worked out perfectly for me, especially as I'd never read a single DC comic before - I was all Marvel originally. I tried to get into Marvel as well, but I had no idea where to begin. Despite this, I don't really think the New 52 was the way to go, because it's incredibly shortsighted. Already it's been over 2 years of storylines that new readers will not be able to easily pick any of the books up.

That's why I say they didn't execute it right. They were so afraid of pissing off their current customers with a complete reboot that they did a "have our cake and eat it too" variant, where they rebooted, but in a way didn't completely reboot, their universe. Tons of stuff that we've ready about since 1986 (post-Crisis) has still technically "happened" (like the Joker shooting Barbara Gordon), but not exactly in the way we remember it. This has the wonderful effect of leaving BOTH new AND old readers confused. Old readers are saying, "So wait, was Babs ever Oracle?" while new readers are saying, "Wait, who is Batgirl and what's her relationship to Batman?" or maybe "Oracle who?" So instead of having a state where vet readers knew all the continuity and new ones were overwhelmed, we have a state where nobody knows what the hell the continuity is supposed to be, what has or hasn't happened, what stories did or did not take place, and there is no easy (or even hard) way to find out.

If they were going to do this right, they should have either started a new universe but left the old one intact, or else done a complete and total reboot. Their half-assed way of doing it just made more of a mess than ever.

From a business level I think the price rises, gimmicks, and relaunches are netting DC and Marvel enough to cover stalling/flagging sales in the short term, but at the risk of hurting the format longterm. I couldn't imagine getting into comics as a kid today - it's an expensive hobby for someone even my age with a decent job.

I completely agree on all points. They are totally focused on short term burst profits and giving NO regard to what is going to happen a couple of years down the line. And yeah, the hobby is expensive even for us grown-ups. What kid can afford $4 a month for a comic book? A couple of titles and now he would've had enough to buy some nice DLC for his favorite video game.

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 144 posts
Title: HRUNK!
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:53 pm

holtom2000 wrote:
that sounds just awful

It sounds like Richie Rich.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
...but EXTREME!

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 104 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:33 pm

syxxpakk wrote:I tried it out when it started, but it wasn't moving me. I assume it was partially because of the story but also because I just can't get into anything by Gail Simone.

Then why did you try it?

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:33 pm

Arion wrote:
Then why did you try it?

To see if I would enjoy it? That seems a silly question.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 146 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:38 pm

Chessack wrote:
That's why I say they didn't execute it right. They were so afraid of pissing off their current customers with a complete reboot that they did a "have our cake and eat it too" variant, where they rebooted, but in a way didn't completely reboot, their universe. Tons of stuff that we've ready about since 1986 (post-Crisis) has still technically "happened" (like the Joker shooting Barbara Gordon), but not exactly in the way we remember it. This has the wonderful effect of leaving BOTH new AND old readers confused. Old readers are saying, "So wait, was Babs ever Oracle?" while new readers are saying, "Wait, who is Batgirl and what's her relationship to Batman?" or maybe "Oracle who?" So instead of having a state where vet readers knew all the continuity and new ones were overwhelmed, we have a state where nobody knows what the hell the continuity is supposed to be, what has or hasn't happened, what stories did or did not take place, and there is no easy (or even hard) way to find out.

If they were going to do this right, they should have either started a new universe but left the old one intact, or else done a complete and total reboot. Their half-assed way of doing it just made more of a mess than ever.

I completely agree on all points. They are totally focused on short term burst profits and giving NO regard to what is going to happen a couple of years down the line. And yeah, the ereyhobby is expensive even for us grown-ups. What kid can afford $4 a month for a comic book? A couple of titles and now he would've had enough to buy some nice DLC for his favorite video game.

Exactly. There isn't any incentive for kids to jump into a comic buying habit anymore. It just outrageously pricy and the money gets them a much larger payout...Hell, anyplace else.

Bond Hengbu
Post Whore

Liked in: 44 posts

Postby Bond Hengbu » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:57 pm

Log-Man wrote:
It sounds like Richie Rich.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
...but EXTREME!

You would be suprised hwo fun it is. Give it a shot, i heard wery leftie guys on podcasts like it.
" Power has two faces:

It's original form is as loathsome and obscene as it can be. only when you grab it, it turns into a kind face"

King Geum-Wa from Jumong

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand