Advertisement

DC Shocker: I, Vampire Cancelled

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 106 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Re: DC Shocker: I, Vampire Cancelled

Postby Arion » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:58 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:
I just picked up issue #2 yesterday. OHMYGOD IT'S SO FUCKING GOOD. Where has this Fraction been since Invincible Iron Man #25?

I read issues # 1 & 2 and I loved them. Besides, we have a lot of Allred goodness.

Check my blog if you want to read my comments about the first issue.

Advertisement

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Internet Celebrity

Postby MoneyMelon » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:01 pm

I just downloaded the first New 52 issues of Wonder Woman and Flash. I'm excited to read them, but not sure if I'll continue beyond that.

I like both of those books. Wonder Woman is very cool (can't believe I just said that about WW) and Flash is flawed but I still like it.

Honestly, I think DC's handling of their major characters has been ok, aside from Superman. Aquaman is decent, Batman is good (depending on which of the 45 ongoing books you read), Flash is fun, Wonder Woman is really good, even Green Lantern is mostly ok (the quality is dropping though). Justice League and Superman are pretty big embarrassments though.

It's really the second tier stuff that's killing DC, IMO. Not enough talented writers and waaaaay too many books.

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Internet Celebrity

Postby MoneyMelon » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:04 pm

Already reading it. I wonder what happened to make Fraction's work go from awesome (Casanova, The Order, Invincible Iron Man 1-24) to fucking awful (Uncanny X-Men, Thor, Defenders) to sublime (FF, Hawkeye) in the course of 5 years!

I think it's just a simple case of a writer being a better fit for some books and a poor fit for others.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 213 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:21 pm

Already reading it. I wonder what happened to make Fraction's work go from awesome (Casanova, The Order, Invincible Iron Man 1-24) to fucking awful (Uncanny X-Men, Thor, Defenders) to sublime (FF, Hawkeye) in the course of 5 years!

The finale to his Thor run is EPIC. Of course it was tied to JiM and thus the reason it was so damn good.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 173 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:38 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:
I like both of those books. Wonder Woman is very cool (can't believe I just said that about WW) and Flash is flawed but I still like it.

Honestly, I think DC's handling of their major characters has been ok, aside from Superman. Aquaman is decent, Batman is good (depending on which of the 45 ongoing books you read), Flash is fun, Wonder Woman is really good, even Green Lantern is mostly ok (the quality is dropping though). Justice League and Superman are pretty big embarrassments though.

It's really the second tier stuff that's killing DC, IMO. Not enough talented writers and waaaaay too many books.

yeah, the second tier stuff is just killing DC. which is weird, b/c then the third and fourth tier stuff (i.e. the Dark corner of the DCU, with I, Vampire, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, JL Dark, and Demon Knights) has been better than even a lot of the first tier. but all the stuff that's just below the big guns, like Hawkman, JLI, Teen Titans, etc. has just been awful, and really shouldn't be.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

UnionJack
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 17 posts

Postby UnionJack » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:51 pm

Arion wrote:
Read Fraction and Allred's FF. Makes every DC book look like 'grim and gritty' stuff by comparison.

Haven't read FF yet but that & Fantastic Four will remain on my pull list. Can always rely on the Fantastic Four for a sense of adventure & escapism.
Most likely dropping Iron Man (not down to the new creative team, found myself going off this title a while ago). Just read the Fraction run as a whole and found myself very underwhelmed.
Also probably dropping all the Spider-Family of books. Don't seem to be fun anymore.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 825 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:48 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:

Well, there has to be 52. Because.

Trouble821
A Quagmire

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Trouble821 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:28 pm

Is Snyder being dropped from swamp thing to try revive superman?

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:31 pm

Zechs wrote:

I want to as well, but I'm terrified they'll screw him as they've done almost every writer they have eventually.

Read Wonder Woman and Flash 1 this evening. Surprisingly great stuff, especially Flash. I might stick to buying them during Comixology sales, but I'm definitely interested in reading more.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 213 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:37 pm

Trouble821 wrote:Is Snyder being dropped from swamp thing to try revive superman?

Yep. More than likely editorial told him he did all he could with Swamp Thing and they want him to make them A TON of money on Superman for them.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 135 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:31 am

Zero wrote:Pfft, stupid DC

Yeah, shame on DC for cancelling a book that was selling fewer that sold under 14,000 comics in November.

158 - I, VAMPIRE
11/2011: I, Vampire #3 -- 26,070 (-24.7%)
12/2011: I, Vampire #4 -- 21,601 (-17.1%)
01/2012: I, Vampire #5 -- 18,816 (-12.9%)
02/2012: I, Vampire #6 -- 18,153 (- 3.5%)
03/2012: I, Vampire #7 -- 18,440 (+ 1.6%)
04/2012: I, Vampire #8 -- 18,717 (+ 1.5%)
05/2012: I, Vampire #9 -- 17,175 (- 8.2%)
06/2012: I, Vampire #10 -- 16,517 (- 3.8%)
07/2012: I, Vampire #11 -- 15,734 (- 4.7%)
08/2012: I, Vampire #12 -- 14,788 (- 6.0%)
09/2012: I, Vampire #0 -- 17,920 (+21.2%)
10/2012: I, Vampire #13 -- 14,260 (-20.4%)
11/2012: I, Vampire #14 -- 13,666 (- 4.2%)

http://comicsbeat.com/dc-comics-month-to-month-sales-november-2012/

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 135 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:35 am

UnionJack wrote:Shame about I, Vampire. I came to it late when I got a run of issues on eBay and have enjoyed it since.
It annoys me that lesser known series don't last. I'm no businessman but can't sales of the more popular books support those of less so?
Soon all we'll have to choose from Marvel & DC will be X-Men, Avengers & Batman...
I seem to be going against the flow here - I used to read more Marvel than DC but now this has reversed. I read a lot more of DC's output now. Marvel seem to be trying to inject realism into their comics something which couldn't be more out of place in the world of superheroes. They also seem to be grittier & more downbeat which just doesn't interest me. About to drop another 4 or 5 Marvels.

The more popular book can probably only support themselves, esp with paying higher-profile creators more money.

I'm pretty sure DC keeps afloat more due to Superman and Batman licensing than it does publishing comics these days.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

oogy
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 120 posts
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535

Postby oogy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:02 pm

Zechs wrote:
Yep. More than likely editorial told him he did all he could with Swamp Thing and they want him to make them A TON of money on Superman for them.

I'm pretty sure that Snyder has said that he's stayed on Swamp Thing longer than he originally intended so that he could finish out the RotWorld stuff.

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 406 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:24 pm

oogy wrote:I'm pretty sure that Snyder has said that he's stayed on Swamp Thing longer than he originally intended so that he could finish out the RotWorld stuff.

oogy - 1
Zechs - 0

post10116358.html?hilit=snyder#p10116358

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 106 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:24 pm

UnionJack wrote:
Haven't read FF yet but that & Fantastic Four will remain on my pull list. Can always rely on the Fantastic Four for a sense of adventure & escapism.
Most likely dropping Iron Man (not down to the new creative team, found myself going off this title a while ago). Just read the Fraction run as a whole and found myself very underwhelmed.
Also probably dropping all the Spider-Family of books. Don't seem to be fun anymore.

Let me know what you think of FF once you've read the first issues.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand