Advertisement

Siege #1 Is On Sale Now!

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:20 am

Punchy wrote:You really aren't.

okay... sure... whatever you say... :smt056

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:29 am

Why did the Assguardians crash Assguard on Earth again? If they were this unprepared to defend the realm, what the fuck were they thinking?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 34 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:38 am

House of J wrote:Why did the Assguardians crash Assguard on Earth again? If they were this unprepared to defend the realm, what the fuck were they thinking?

actually that's the interesting thing about the misprint, in the link above for the article, there is a link to read the corrected copy on Marvel's crappy crash your system e-reader.

Ares goes into great length as to how they take out Asgard's defenses in the very early seconds of the Siege... That is what Sentry is up to before he swings into Hand Thor his own ass.

I imagine we will see this in an issue of Dark Avengers. Someone maybe the guy above made a statement about the brevity of Siege meaning that possibly the tie-ins mean something this time around.

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Chubbles » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:40 am

I used to have fun fighting off all the OMD haters at the rama. It was a daily occurrence and was fun for awhile. Where did all those DC guys go after the exodus? I hated DC but they were cool guys, most of them.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:46 am

Chubbles wrote:I used to have fun fighting off all the OMD haters at the rama. It was a daily occurrence and was fun for awhile. Where did all those DC guys go after the exodus? I hated DC but they were cool guys, most of them.

I don't know man, we scattered to the nine winds I think. I have friends all over other boards. I just can't do that much browsing. Heck I rarely stop by the Image boards anymore and I love all those guys to death.

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:48 am

Siege review

Fucking awesome. I really liked this book a lot. The art was great, Coipel draws my absolute favorite take on Thor. I loved how Ares addressed the troops and how Bullseye was shitting himself thinking about facing Thor. The writing was really well put together and I've been waiting for an oh shit Steve Rogers moment where he's about to lay the smackdown for years and that last page did it for me. This was extremely fun and looks like its gonna continue to be that way.

I have two negatives however. One related to the actual story and another on Marvels event strategy here. I thought it was a tad bit lame to use the same 'device' as civil war to get shit going. But besides that it worked fine for me. My other gripe is that I know how some companies spin events as being self contained but this seems like an event where i will need to pick up all 32 books to really experience this event. 4 issues seems far too short to tell this epic beast of a story. Personally i don't mind bc i already buy all those books, but i can see how the average person might be a bit bothered to say the least.

Story 9.5
Art 9.5

Overall 9.5

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:01 am

Chubbles wrote:My other gripe is that I know how some companies spin events as being self contained but this seems like an event where i will need to pick up all 32 books to really experience this event. 4 issues seems far too short to tell this epic beast of a story. Personally i don't mind bc i already buy all those books, but i can see how the average person might be a bit bothered to say the least.

I am of two minds on this subject. (Well, actually three, from a retailer perspective, I have to love it).

I understand not wanting to buy all the books. People complained during Civil War about having to read all the books and that just wasn't true. I think as die hard fans we think that knowing more is important and most of us are at least fighting a collector's mentality so there is a bit of ocd involved in that kind of complaint. However, I understand and sympathize with it. I read way too many comics, so I love it when a book like Ms. Marvel tanks for me cause I can just give up on it and get more of my actual stack read instead of creating more backlog.

However, from Marvel's perspective. If this is indeed their last company wide crossover for a while (I think we all understand that in reality, things like Nation X, Fall of the Hulks, and Annihilation will continue... line crossovers are a reality caused by the nature of having upteen billion spin off books anyhow). Anyhow, if this is the last one for however long, it is in Marvel's best interest to create a situation where everyone has to read as much as possible (and more importantly, want to) to get the whole story. They will no longer have the big stories to bump the sales of all the various titles. In order for fringe books (like Ms. Marvel) to survive in such a publication strategy, they will need as big a readership as possible coming out of Siege. Otherwise we will end up with thrice monthly versions of all the big characters and no more small, niche books. They have to create a need to read those books and sustain that readership, it will be an interesting thing to watch play out.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:11 am

Chubbles wrote:My other gripe is that I know how some companies spin events as being self contained but this seems like an event where i will need to pick up all 32 books to really experience this event.

I don't mind so much when the spin-offs are being told in the regular monthlies, I don't like when they make 3 issue mini's tying into the event, those I refuse to buy. I think my shop was able to retire after Civil War, I bought every freaking tie-in that came out.

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:07 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:I don't mind so much when the spin-offs are being told in the regular monthlies, I don't like when they make 3 issue mini's tying into the event, those I refuse to buy. I think my shop was able to retire after Civil War, I bought every freaking tie-in that came out.

i hate those 3 issue mini tie ins. DC has like 10 of them during blackest night. To be fair tho marvel also had their fair share during secret invasion also. It's fairly safe to assume nothing worthwhile happens in those mini's. I just hope siege doesn't go that route.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:01 pm

Chubbles wrote:i hate those 3 issue mini tie ins. DC has like 10 of them during blackest night. To be fair tho marvel also had their fair share during secret invasion also. It's fairly safe to assume nothing worthwhile happens in those mini's. I just hope siege doesn't go that route.

I put the foot down after WWH and I did not buy any of the SI tie-ins (aside from the normal ongoings I buy) and enjoyed the event just fine.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:15 pm

thefourthman wrote:corrected back matter available at marvel digital, helps explain how the DA took out Asgard so quick.

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?s ... 7275706360

That's good stuff

i imagine since DA is Sentry specific during Siege, we will see that in action

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:23 pm

Kerny wrote:That's good stuff

i imagine since DA is Sentry specific during Siege, we will see that in action

are you echoing me?

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:25 pm

i still wanna know who the fuck is osborns ace up his sleeve who everyone is afraid of

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:25 pm

thefourthman wrote:Image
are you echoing me?

? :?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:29 pm

Kerny wrote:? :?

House of J wrote:Why did the Assguardians crash Assguard on Earth again? If they were this unprepared to defend the realm, what the fuck were they thinking?

actually that's the interesting thing about the misprint, in the link above for the article, there is a link to read the corrected copy on Marvel's crappy crash your system e-reader.

Ares goes into great length as to how they take out Asgard's defenses in the very early seconds of the Siege... That is what Sentry is up to before he swings into Hand Thor his own ass.

I imagine we will see this in an issue of Dark Avengers. Someone maybe the guy above made a statement about the brevity of Siege meaning that possibly the tie-ins mean something this time around.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand