Advertisement

Siege #1 Is On Sale Now!

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Postby Frag » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:42 am

SuperginraiX wrote:Heh.

I survived Jimmy Palmiotti's run on the title and that was the most terrible thing I've read in a long, long time. It still colors my impression of Palmiotti's writing to this day and, apparently, it's gotten a lot better. I wouldn't know. I avoid most of it as much as possible.

Compared to that hamfisted storyline, Simone's take on the character was great.

I survived some hard times with Deadpool too. :P

I agree with you on Palmiotti. He's not much of a writer anyway. From what I know of him these days, he's the idea man/promoter while Justin Gray is the writer.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

Advertisement

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:37 am

WHERE THE HELL ARE MY COMICS.

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:29 pm

Frag It wrote:I don't care one way or another, but you never really picked a side on if you thought GS was unprofessional or not.

That's right. I didn't. It isn't always necessary to take sides.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:40 pm

In addition to the above post...

I have written negatively about Bendis here several times. If he became aware of it, he would have the right to come here and ask me what my problem with him is. And I would say that I think he is a lazy writer who has some good ideas that he never seems to follow up on. But I sure as hell wouldn't slag him personally. No sane, rational person should. I don't know him personally.

But there also seems to be a culture at comic book sites that makes it okay for fans to slag creators, but then when the creator says anything, the creator has acted "unprofessionally". The creators are human being, too, and should be allowed to respond to personal attacks.

I agree that it is best for creators to try to avoid personal confrontations, but they can't. I repeat, they are human beings, too.

And it also shouldn't be that fans are automatically considered victims when it all goes bad for them.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:43 pm

Americans shouldn't be allowed to say 'slag'

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 44 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:43 pm

Old Man wrote:In addition to the above post...

I have written negatively about Bendis here several times. If he became aware of it, he would have the right to come here and ask me what my problem with him is. And I would say that I think he is a lazy writer who has some good ideas that he never seems to follow up on. But I sure as hell wouldn't slag him personally. No sane, rational person should. I don't know him personally.

But there also seems to be a culture at comic book sites that makes it okay for fans to slag creators, but then when the creator says anything, the creator has acted "unprofessionally". The creators are human being, too, and should be allowed to respond to personal attacks.

I agree that it is best for creators to try to avoid personal confrontations, but they can't. I repeat, they are human beings, too.

And it also shouldn't be that fans are automatically considered victims when it all goes bad for them.

[meme]applause[/meme]

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 655 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:52 pm

Old Man wrote:In addition to the above post...

This is absolutely correct, and in fact harkens back to my very first post on a comic book message board, dealing with the uproar over Mark Waid's comments following Steve Whacker leaving DC.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Chubbles » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:54 pm

So is it ok for derek jeter to get in a shouting match with a fan bc they call him a douchebag? NO. I think her getting all pissy shows some insecurity on her part. Peter David is the same way.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:07 pm

Chubbles wrote:So is it ok for derek jeter to get in a shouting match with a fan bc they call him a douchebag? NO. I think her getting all pissy shows some insecurity on her part. Peter David is the same way.

To a certain extent it should be though. Back in the day, if you called some one a name, you were liable to get a fist in your nose or a beer bottle over your head. Nowadays if such a thing were to happen the person who called the name would get to sue and get a large cash settlement for basically being a fucking prick. It's a no win situation for anyone in the public eye, but it really shouldn't be that way. The person being a dick and calling someone a name is in the wrong too, but nothing happens to them. Meanwhile society continues to fall apart at the seams, but the person calling Jeter a Douchebag or Simone a bitch or David a crazyfuck is a victim. That's bullshit.

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:28 pm

It may be bullshit but in today's society with cameras everywhere and the threat of being sued hanging over your head, you absolutely MUST refrain from such things. Now if you call them a douchebag while he's out eating with his family then yes you are 100% wrong, but on a message board which is built for people to express opinions it should be below her to respond and validate the poster.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:42 pm

Chubbles wrote:It may be bullshit but in today's society with cameras everywhere and the threat of being sued hanging over your head, you absolutely MUST refrain from such things. Now if you call them a douchebag while he's out eating with his family then yes you are 100% wrong, but on a message board which is built for people to express opinions it should be below her to respond and validate the poster.

and on a public message board designed for people to express their opinions, it should be fine for her to come in and express hers.

At the end of the day, we don't respect anything anymore. We want the creators to participate in the threads, but we don't want them to say "Hey that's fucked up!" when we do something fucked up. When Punchy does something fucked up and someone calls him on it there will be hundreds of posters on both sides of the argument... it is no different. The only difference is you know for sure who Gail Simone is (you think) as opposed to anonymous young brit poster dubbed punchy.

And when we didn't allow it at any level... it didn't encroach into their private lives, because I promise you Jeter has been out to dinner with his family and been called a douche. All celebrities are chased around by paparazzi... there is no more private time and the people who would defend such actions say that is the decision the celebrity made by becoming a celebrity... bullshit.

Of course, when Simone comes into a thread and says something you don't like, you are free to respond in kind, either stepping into the middle of it yourself and becoming one of the multiple people making asses of themselves or you can choose not to buy any more of her work or you can choose to ignore or even better you can choose to say "hey I might have done the same thing" and realize that she is a person too. With feelings and who on any given day might want to respond to bullshit that is said about her. She's a comic fan too, she might just want to join in the fun.

But again, to dislike her for that is valid. I have no problem with it, but to act like MoTA or the paparazzi or the guy who gets his face smashed by Jeter is a victim is bullshit, pure and simple.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 117 posts

Postby doombug » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:47 pm

Chubbles wrote:It may be bullshit but in today's society with cameras everywhere and the threat of being sued hanging over your head, you absolutely MUST refrain from such things. Now if you call them a douchebag while he's out eating with his family then yes you are 100% wrong, but on a message board which is built for people to express opinions it should be below her to respond and validate the poster.

:roll: That is so beyond idiotic that it's not even funny.

Hey everyone! Creators aren't allowed to defend themselves against jackasses on the internet anymore! :roll:

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:49 pm

i don't blame the papparazzi for that stuff, I blame society's desire to be entertained in such a fashion. Papparazzi are just opportunists taking advantage of the situation. She probably should have went about it better and more people would have come to her defense.

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:52 pm

doombug wrote::roll: That is so beyond idiotic that it's not even funny.

Hey everyone! Creators aren't allowed to defend themselves against jackasses on the internet anymore! :roll:

if jeter fought with every fan that ever called him an asshole he'd never have time to play baseball again bc that would be his full time profession. Especially on the fucking internet. People hide behind their computers on the internet and hurl extremely insensitive remarks at everyone. creators should understand that and respect it or feel the fanboy wrath. You're a creator, go create and let us fans love or hate you.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 655 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:52 pm

doombug wrote::roll: That is so beyond idiotic that it's not even funny.

It's not "anymore." This has always been the attitude of fanboys. Steven Whacker leaves DC, it is perfectly acceptable for fanboys to go on for pages accusing him of unprofessionalism and in general deriding him personally and from a carreer standpoint. But if Mark Waid shows up tells them to STFU while making a Jay and Silent Bob joke, fanboys start crying and threatening legal action.

People spend far more many hours of their life than is anywhere remotely healthy deriding Rob Liefeld on the internet, but as soon as he shows up in a thread and starts slinging insults on the EXACT SAME LEVEL OF DOUCHERY AND MATURITY, he is an asshole and unprofessional.

Why? Fanboys should fucking be glad to have these people interacting with them on their own level. Fanboys are ungrateful, self-rightreous pricks, IMO.
Last edited by S.F. Jude Terror on Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand