Advertisement

Siege #1 Is On Sale Now!

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 723 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:43 am

Siege #1 Review

This book is billed as wrapping up all the turmoil that has gripped the Marvel Universe since Bendis took over the Avengers with Disassembled seven years ago. During that time, we've seen, for better or worse, a different Marvel Universe than we've been used to. Heroes hate each other, the bad guys are in charge, the good guys are on the run. Overall, it has been a darker place, culminating in Norman Osborn, one of the most evil people in the Marvel Universe, being basically in charge of everything. This is it. This is, supposedly, the end of this epic story. The end of an era. If Marvel can pull it off, not only will they succeed in ending something *gasp* BEFORE it has worn out its welcome with the fans, but also in telling one of the most epic stories in comic book history. Can they do it?

The Story:

Siege moves pretty quickly right out of the gate. We start with Loki explaining his plan to Norman Osborn, or at least what he wants Osborn to think is his plan, in caption boxes as the plan unfolds in real time on the page. Already we can see that this is not your typical Bendis decompression. This event is going to be packed with action and meaningful plot advancements, and that is a good thing, as it is only four issues long.

After things are set into motion, we get some good dialog between Norman and his Dark Avengers. Norman wants them to help him invade Asgard, and the team is justifiably reluctant, showing the seriousness of such an act. However, Norman promises to free them from their obligations to him if they help him. He is putting all his cards on the table. It really gives the feel that this is the beginning of the end, and that no one is holding back.

The final part of the story shows the first strike on Asgard, which is swift and efficient. I won't go into the details, but not only does the team hit Asgard hard and fast, but they manage to take down several big players quickly, most notably Thor. As this unfolds, we see some heroes learning of this and preparing to strike back. Captain America and others should be joining the battle next issue.

Overall, this is a fine first issue story that sets up the event. If the tone set by this issue remains throughout the book, I think we will see a lot of tightly packed action. I also get the feeling that we will be seeing the ramifications of what happens in Siege for a long time in other books. The event will fly by before anyone can really digest what happened, bring all of the characters that had been divided over the past seven years together, shit will hit the fan, and then we will deal with all the issues that have built up over the past seven years in the aftermath. I love it.

Art:

The art here is pretty good. Coipel is better than he was on House of M, and does a good job conveying the huge events that occur here. I'm not sure that I bought Coipel as the kind of superstar artist one would expect on this kind of book, but I'm hoping that by the end he proves that he is.

Overall: 8.5
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 70 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:51 am

nice review Jude.

I find this book interesting. There is a significant amount of hating aimed its way, but the majority of the fan base seems satisfied. It's weird. While I see what folks like Old Man and the guy at Savage are saying... I just wonder why everyone takes their comics so seriously. This was damn entertaining and as a result I am less likely to nitpick and willing to just enjoy it. When I nitpick it is because it wasn't as enjoyable.

I don't think that Jude's assertion that Marvel will have ended something before it has worn out its welcome is quite true though... all the complaints of Event fatigue and my own disapproval over how long Norman has maintained his composure fly in the face of that, but as I clearly stated in the paragraph above, you can't please everyone.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 723 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:10 am

thefourthman wrote:nice review Jude.

I find this book interesting. There is a significant amount of hating aimed its way, but the majority of the fan base seems satisfied. It's weird. While I see what folks like Old Man and the guy at Savage are saying... I just wonder why everyone takes their comics so seriously. This was damn entertaining and as a result I am less likely to nitpick and willing to just enjoy it. When I nitpick it is because it wasn't as enjoyable.

I don't think that Jude's assertion that Marvel will have ended something before it has worn out its welcome is quite true though... all the complaints of Event fatigue and my own disapproval over how long Norman has maintained his composure fly in the face of that, but as I clearly stated in the paragraph above, you can't please everyone.

How long has Norman maintained his composure? A year? I don't think 12 issues worth of publishing time is a long time in comic book time.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:26 am

Jude Terror wrote:How long has Norman maintained his composure? A year? I don't think 12 issues worth of publishing time is a long time in comic book time.

Dude, he was at the point of cracking when Ellis left the Thunderbolts and that was well before the Secret Invasion. He should have cracked a long time ago.

Problem with a think like Dark Reign is with him in that many books, it seems like it is longer. :P

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:29 am

I think I've liked Dark Reign so much because it's been so different to what's come before. Never before have villains been doing so much so succesfully than right now, it was interesting to see the heroes on the run for so long. Especially the New Avengers.

Especially because heroes v villains just done normally is ever so boring nowadays.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:30 am

Jubilee wrote:I think I've liked Dark Reign so much because it's been so different to what's come before. Never before have villains been doing so much so succesfully than right now, it was interesting to see the heroes on the run for so long. Especially the New Avengers.

Especially because heroes v villains just done normally is ever so boring nowadays.

But the New Avengers have been on the run since Civil War... it was interesting, but a little drug out.

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Chubbles » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:45 am

I think people forget that comic books like those in DC and Marvel especially are meant to be fun escapist hobbies. As fourthman said some people take this shit far too seriously and would rather tear something apart than just enjoy it for what it is.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 75 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:53 am

Chubbles wrote:I think people forget that comic books like those in DC and Marvel especially are meant to be fun escapist hobbies. As fourthman said some people take this shit far too seriously and would rather tear something apart than just enjoy it for what it is.

When reviewing you have to take comics somewhat seriously, but there's a balance to be struck.

As I said in my review, event books are a different kettle of fish compared to other books, if the structure or something else is a little off, that's not important, what's important are the big things that happen in the book, and whether you are excited.

Different books need different review criteria, don't go into Siege expecting Asterios Polyp.

Postby ****** » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:45 pm

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:48 pm

Punchy wrote:When reviewing you have to take comics somewhat seriously, but there's a balance to be struck.

As I said in my review, event books are a different kettle of fish compared to other books, if the structure or something else is a little off, that's not important, what's important are the big things that happen in the book, and whether you are excited.

Different books need different review criteria, don't go into Siege expecting Asterios Polyp.

so let me get this straight...

some comics require a different eye in the review?

cause that would go against what you said the week we did Walt Disney Comics and Stories. :wink:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:49 pm

Amlah's article wrote:Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course. Here, you read the reviews and see for yourself and I'll get back to Tales Designed to Thrizzle.

Stop being such a hipster douche and admit to enjoying superhero comics!

Also, you're damn right that it's an outrage that Blackest Night got a higher score on this. I can't believe you people sometimes. You'll be first against the wall when the revolution comes.
Last edited by Punchy on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:50 pm

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:52 pm

thefourthman wrote:so let me get this straight...

some comics require a different eye in the review?

cause that would go against what you said the week we did Walt Disney Comics and Stories. :wink:

A different eye, just not an eye from somebody else's head, like the child's eye you had gouged out and used when reviewing Mickey.

Postby ****** » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 pm

Punchy wrote:Stop being such a hipster douche and admit to enjoying superhero comics!

Apparently I have a box filled with all the Drawn & Quarterly Yoshihiro Tatsumi collections waiting for me when I get home. My hipster douche cred is legit. :twisted:

Postby ****** » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:56 pm

thefourthman wrote::x
asshole

:lol:

Since you bitched about last week's, I did that just for you. :wink:

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand