Advertisement

Slice of Melon: Part 3- Save The Mutants!

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Internet Celebrity

Slice of Melon: Part 3- Save The Mutants!

Postby MoneyMelon » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:16 pm

Welcome back for another exciting (just humor me) edition of "Slice of Melon"

Today, I'd like to get into detail about something I touched on earlier........the X-Men books.

Right now, there's a ton of these things and there aren't many that are all that good or sound all that interesting.

Off the top of my head, I think the following books make up the X-Men line:

Uncanny X-Men
Astonishing X-Men
X-Men
New X-Men/Young X-Men
X-Factor
Excalibur
X-Force
Cable
Wolverine
Wolverine Origins

And I'm almost certain I'm forgetting some.

That's a hell of a lot of books all tied around a single concept, isn't it? Personally, I think it's overkill. When you have too many books involved in a specific concept, it weakens the overall concept. Sooner or later everything becomes "just another X-Men book".

Now, the X-Men holds a very special place in my heart. My very first superhero comic was an issue of Uncanny X-Men where it was Wolverine and Katie Power against the Reavers in the middle of a blizzard in New York. The art was by Barry Windsor Smith and I just fell in love with the whole thing. I started reading Uncanny X-Men and I still continue to read it to this day and I haven't missed a single issue. That must have been about 20 years ago.

So over that span of 20 years, I've seen a lot of different approached to the X-Men. Some worked really well, some failed miserably.

Sometime around the mid-90's Marvel overdid it. That's when the X-Men line which was just a hand full of books became this beast of a franchise with dozens of titles over the years. And that's also around the time I think the X-Men got off-track. Don't get me wrong. There were still some really good stories in the 90's and early 00's. Just not as often or as many as before. X-Men seemed to be finally going somewhere when Grant Morrison was on the book. I thought he was pretty solid, but he never really followed any of his ideas through. And now there's Astonishing X-Men. My god that is just a jewel of a comic. Just when I has lost interest in the X-Men, Joss Whedon came along and reminded me why I loved it so much in the first place. That's what I want to capture with the X-Men books.

So the first thing I'm doing is cleaning house. The X-Men books will consist of the following:

Uncanny X-Men
Astonishing X-Men
Young X-Men
X-Factor
Wolverine
The Brotherhood

Uncanny X-Men will be written by Christos Gage. Why Gage? I think this guy is really an up and coming writer and he handles team books well. Plus, he did that World War Hulk X-Men mini-series which I thought was the only part of WWH worth reading. Plus he does terrific characterization, very intense action sequences and he seems to be able to cut to the core what makes characters cool. I think X-Men would be a great fit.

Astonishing X-Men will be by Joss Whedon (I'll stalk and threaten him until he agrees to stay on the book). To avoid the lateness of the book, I'll have two art teams........John Cassaday and somebody else. I'd keep things more or less the same in this book, although I'd request Whendon tweaks the line-up a little.

Young X-Men will be by Brian K Vaughan. Basically it's about teenage mutants at the Xavier school. Basically it's the same thing as New Mutants/Generation X/New X-men, etc. Just with a new coat of paint slapped on it. And I really like how Vaughan handles young characters in Runaways and I liked his run on Ultimate X-Men. I think he could do good work here.

X-Factor........if it ain't broke, don't fix it. This book ain't broke.

Wolverine will be by Ed Brubaker. C'mon......this is such a better fit for him. Brubaker can do whatever he wants on this book.

The Brotherhood will be by Warren Ellis. Basically it's Magneto's own team and one of them (Gambit) is a mole. But magneto knows this. The core of the book is the "freedom fighter vs terrorist" debate along with a cat and mouse sort of espionage tale. While Gamit is feeding someone else information on the outside he starts to wonder....does Magneto sort of have a point?

And then there's the rosters. I only have three rosters that I'd want. The rest is up to the writers.

Astonishing X-Men:
Cyclops
Phoenix (yeah.....she's back. I know some of you hate me now)
Wolverine
Colossus
Nightcrawler
Storm
Shadowcat

Uncanny X-Men:
Havok
Polaris
Ice man
Beast
Rogue
Angel
Banshee

The Brotherhood:
Magneto
Mystique
Lady Mastermind
Pyro
Sabretooth
Toad
Blob
Quicksilver
Scarlet Witch
Gambit

If anybody hs suggestions for artists (who can realistically keep a monthly schedule or artists who complement each other to keep a monthly schedule), I'd love to hear them.

Man of Steel wrote:get over myself? You're the one who fancies himself some sort of internet celebrity.

Advertisement

Shady
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Shady » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:47 pm

A couple of things...

1) you wouldnt want Mike Carey? The only reason im asking is because people may or may not know this (i can't blame him because he isnt a big enough name) has single handedly set the franchise on a straight course. He was essentially the point man for the books to be co-hesive and made sure messiah complex meshed together.

2) I think it was more whedon's schedule that caused more of the delays than cassaday. i think adding another artist is nice but (personally) id prefer a new writer who would actually contribute to the franchise instead of
pay homage to it.

i do like the Brotherhood title with Gambit as a mole...i think its a neat concept and a good way to make the cajun interesting again.

I like Gage as well but my only concern is, can he handle a flagship title like uncanny this early in the game?

Also artists that could help monthly:

- Scott Eaton
- David Yardin
- David Finch
- Mike Deodato
Last edited by Shady on Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Postby DeadFett » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:51 pm

I like your line ups. Except Shadowcat. Just never liked her all that much. How will Banshee come back from the dead.

As for artists, rotate David Finch with Cassaday. They should be able to handle an issue every other month. I'd rather see Whedon off the book, but hey, this is your plan. Personally, I'd go with Mike Carey here.

Artist for Uncanny, I'd keep Billy Tan with Tom Raney pitching in to keep Tan on schedule.

Artist for The Brotherhood, Alex Maleev.

Agreed about Bru on Wolvie. Great fit. Add Scott Kolins on art and you have a winner.

Shady
cheese

Postby Shady » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:53 pm

DeadFett wrote:Artist for Uncanny, I'd keep Billy Tan with Tom Raney pitching in to keep Tan on schedule.

Agreed about Bru on Wolvie. Great fit. Add Scott Kolins on art and you have a winner.

I agree with these as well.

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:56 pm

Shady wrote:A couple of things...

1) you wouldnt want Mike Carey? The only reason im asking is because people may or may not know this (i can't blame him because he isnt a big enough name) has single handedly set the franchise on a straight course. He was essentially the point man for the books to be co-hesive and made sure messiah complex meshed together.

2) I think it was more whedon's schedule that caused more of the delays than cassaday. i think adding another artist is nice but (personally) id prefer a new writer who would actually contribute to the franchise instead of
pay homage to it.

i do like the Brotherhood title with Gambit as a mole...i think its a neat concept and a good way to make the cajun interesting again.

I like Gage as well but my only concern is, can he handle a flagship title like uncanny this early in the game?

Also artists that could help monthly:

- Scott Eaton
- David Yardin
- David Finch

I actually have some ideas for Mike Carey.

I was thinking of doing a series where each story arc focuses on a single character. I think this would give some great overall direction to the X-men by spotlighting characters, showing things from their point of view, creating story threads and addressing certain things that might not be necessary or make sense in the other X-Men books. I don't know what I'd call this book, though.

Christos Gage might be a little bit of a gamble but I think he can handle it with the right direction. He's impressed me with his ability to walk into a group of characters, get a handle on them quickly and turn out some great stories.

I like Scott Eaton and I think David Finch would be ideal for Wolverine. But I'm not familiar with David Yardin.

Man of Steel wrote:get over myself? You're the one who fancies himself some sort of internet celebrity.

Shady
cheese

Postby Shady » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:59 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:I actually have some ideas for Mike Carey.

I was thinking of doing a series where each story arc focuses on a single character. I think this would give some great overall direction to the X-men by spotlighting characters, showing things from their point of view, creating story threads and addressing certain things that might not be necessary or make sense in the other X-Men books. I don't know what I'd call this book, though.

So essentially what he'll be doing in X-Men Legacy and the Divided We Stand 2 - ish mini

Shady
cheese

Postby Shady » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:02 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:I like Scott Eaton and I think David Finch would be ideal for Wolverine. But I'm not familiar with David Yardin.

David Yardin - District X

also, Barry Kitson might be available with the Order being cancelled. I would also suggest Mike Deodato, big name and is doing a tremendous job on Thunderbolts.

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:02 pm

DeadFett wrote:I like your line ups. Except Shadowcat. Just never liked her all that much. How will Banshee come back from the dead.

I have a soft spot for Shadowcat. I can't explain it really. I just associate her as the rookie from the old days who proved she could cut it as one of the X-men.

I haven't figured out how to bring Banshee back, but hey........it's the X-Men. Nobody stays dead too long :D

DeadFett wrote:As for artists, rotate David Finch with Cassaday. They should be able to handle an issue every other month. I'd rather see Whedon off the book, but hey, this is your plan. Personally, I'd go with Mike Carey here.

Understandable. I happen to love what Whedon is doing and it's been a hit with readers. I'd like to see more of it.

I'd like Mike Carey to definitely be involved in the X-Men, though.

DeadFett wrote:Artist for Uncanny, I'd keep Billy Tan with Tom Raney pitching in to keep Tan on schedule.

Great suggestions. Espeically Tom Raney. I love that guy's art. He's really underappreciated, IMO.

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:04 pm

Shady wrote:David Yardin - District X

also, Barry Kitson might be available with the Order being cancelled. I would also suggest Mike Deodato, big name and is doing a tremendous job on Thunderbolts.

I never read District X, but that art looks familiar. What do you think about putting him on Young X-Men?

And I actually would like to put Deodato on a Black Widow ongoing series under the MAX line with Greg Rucka as the writer.

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Postby DeadFett » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:07 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:I never read District X, but that art looks familiar. What do you think about putting him on Young X-Men?

And I actually would like to put Deodato on a Black Widow ongoing series under the MAX line with Greg Rucka as the writer.

Hell yeah! Deodato on a Widow Max book. I'd buy it.

Shady
cheese

Postby Shady » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:16 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:I never read District X, but that art looks familiar. What do you think about putting him on Young X-Men?

you could but it depends on what kind of tone you want for art. Paco Medina might be more suited for the more youthful x-men.

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:17 pm

DeadFett wrote:Hell yeah! Deodato on a Widow Max book. I'd buy it.

It'd be called "Code Name: Black Widow" and it's set in the 616 universe.

Basically she's an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. (I have some plans to seriously change SHIELD around) who does the really dangerous dirty jobs, like assasinations, sabotage and suicide missions.

A lot like Rucka's "Queen & Country" but more intense.

Shady
cheese

Postby Shady » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:17 pm

DeadFett wrote:Hell yeah! Deodato on a Widow Max book. I'd buy it.

his womenz are hawt (ie moonstone), i like that aswell!

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:20 pm

Shady wrote:you could but it depends on what kind of tone you want for art. Paco Medina might be more suited for the more youthful x-men.

It would have a similar tone to Young Avengers, which was a bit lighter than New Avengers but still very much a mature book.

Shady
cheese

Postby Shady » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:26 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:It would have a similar tone to Young Avengers, which was a bit lighter than New Avengers but still very much a mature book.

Yardin is kind of like Cheung, just not as light and not as well known.

LoL im looking through my previews here in my cubicle...how about Carlo Pagalyuan?

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand