Advertisement

Social Justice Crusade Takes Odd Twist After Outraged Fans Demand Marvel #FireRickRemender

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

OneWhoIsAll
cheese

Liked in: 454 posts
Title: SilentKnight
Formerly: KnightofOwls

Re: Social Justice Crusade Takes Odd Twist After Outraged Fa

Postby OneWhoIsAll » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:47 pm

HNutz wrote:
What is it with Wilsons and "underage" girls? 8)

Yes.

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 346 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:54 pm

HNutz wrote:

Congrats, you won the outhouse today.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

HNutz likes this post.

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 556 posts

Postby HNutz » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:59 pm

HNutz wrote:

guitarsmashley wrote:Congrats, you won the outhouse today.

Sweet. :)

I just find it funny that, of all the Wilsons I can think of in comics, the only one that is happily married is Deadpool...

2 people like this post.

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Postby HNutz » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:32 pm

CBR wrote:Under the headline “Why Marvel needs to fire Rick Remender,” Examiner.com’s Gloria Miller dismissed the reference to Jet’s 23rd birthday as contradictory to “everything Remender has told us,” before stating that even if she were 23, “It’s still hard to ignore the fact that she’s still mentally immature and has suffered some pretty massive emotional trauma of late — not exactly a stellar example of unhindered ability to consent.”

Like Miller, Eat.Geek.Play’s Mark Stack framed the Falcon/Jet scene in the context of Remender’s other “offenses” since taking the reins of Captain America, including the (apparent) deaths of Sharon Carter and young Ian Zola. (It should be noted that both Stack and Eat.Geek.Play expressed their dislike for the #firerickremender campaign; after reading this Tumblr post explaining the timeline, Stack tweeted, “I am genuinely embarrassed and ashamed,” and to Remender, “I owe you an epic apology.”)

So Stack got more information and apologized, but Gloria Miller presumably has not and will not, thinking that a 23 year old initiating sexual relations with a 30-something that's not okay, something that Marvel should apologize for and fire a writer (but not the editor who approved it) over.

Links and more here.
http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2014/07/falcon-jet-scene-in-captain-america-22-sparks-calls-for-remenders-firing/

Timeline Here!

OneWhoIsAll
cheese

Postby OneWhoIsAll » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:40 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
Congrats, you won the outhouse today.

Hey I was one who made the reference, HHtuz just got it.

WHERE IS THE OUTHOUSE!!!

....23:22....23:23

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:56 pm

OneWhoIsAll wrote:
Hey I was one who made the reference, HHtuz just got it.

WHERE IS THE OUTHOUSE!!!

....23:22....23:23

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

HNutz likes this post.

OneWhoIsAll
cheese

Postby OneWhoIsAll » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:06 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:

TELL ME NOW!!!

OR EVERYONE WILL NOT GET SUMMER COOKIES and I mean....

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 986 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:32 pm

HNutz wrote:So Stack got more information and apologized, but Gloria Miller presumably has not and will not, thinking that a 23 year old initiating sexual relations with a 30-something that's not okay, something that Marvel should apologize for and fire a writer (but not the editor who approved it) over.

Links and more here.
http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2014/07/falcon-jet-scene-in-captain-america-22-sparks-calls-for-remenders-firing/

Timeline Here!

Gloria Miller definitely owes Rick Remender an apology, she was clearly wrong. That's really about as far as this issue should have gone.
ImageImageImage

HNutz likes this post.

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 154 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Postby HNutz » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:30 pm

Grayson wrote:
Gloria Miller definitely owes Rick Remender an apology, she was clearly wrong. That's really about as far as this issue should have gone.

Yup.

She's aware of the facts, she just disagrees with them. And, for some reason, she's not ignored.

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 276 posts

Re: Where's our #fireremender discussion?

Postby Lord Simian » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:58 pm

chap22 wrote:he was a lot cooler the first time i read about him when he was called Madcap.

I get the point you are making, and you're mostly right, but I can't support calling Madcap cool.

2 people like this post.

Beige Lantern
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 152 posts
Title: Galactic Decorator

Postby Beige Lantern » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:03 pm

I'm genuinely surprised the complaint is about her being underage rather than being drunk.

After all, if two drunken people have sex, that's rape.
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world - "No, you move." - Captain America

Linkaria Jungle
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 162 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Social Justice Crusade Takes Odd Twist After Outraged Fans Demand Marvel #FireRickRemender

Postby Linkaria Jungle » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:27 pm

It's JRJ's inability to draw age-appropriate figures that has people confused over her real age throughout the run. Throw in the dubious consent issues (Falcon getting so drunk he can't remember what happened) which is really out of character and insulting for a social worker, and all the various issues throughout Remender's Marvel works (the fridging, the racism, etc.) IMO CA #22 is not the sole reason why people got this mad, it was problems earlier in Remender's Cap and UA. CA #22 is just the last straw.

OneWhoIsAll
cheese

Re: RE: Social Justice Crusade Takes Odd Twist After Outrage

Postby OneWhoIsAll » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:49 pm

FBtron wrote:It's JRJ's inability to draw age-appropriate figures that has people confused over her real age throughout the run.

This..

It's a running trend when it comes to artist these days. They take a character who is clearly in their mid 30s and make them like 10 -15 years younger. It drives me crazy.

But lets look closer into this """""plot""""" (I don't the how many quotes I should put without sounding so I'm redundant just goint to stop now.)

The fact that writer had to specify her age before the consent, also adding on the fact that the writter knows her backstory... actually shows for thought when writing this....

Which means....

1) He want an excuse to have a female character for sex for Wilson but isn't the type of person to just have a fling like that. So he wrote in that he had a drinking nite. But the writer didn't bother making a oringal character so he chose a previous establish character and specify her "new' age so it won't be controversial.

2) He wanted the character in pacticluar to be sexualize but due to her age and backstory he couldn't really write anything without being contraversal so he wrote down she said her age so therefore shes not underage and therefore not controversial.

Either case both of them were drinking and both gave consent...again not controversial.

There is alot of covering bases when it comes to a simple drunken sex night plot.

2 people like this post.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:55 pm

Beige Lantern wrote:I'm genuinely surprised the complaint is about her being underage rather than being drunk.

After all, if two drunken people have sex, that's rape.

But, was she drunk? She does not have the same hangover Falcon has and her metabolism is engineered and different. in theory she raped him.

- Les Paul

2 people like this post.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand