Advertisement

Social Justice Crusade Takes Odd Twist After Outraged Fans Demand Marvel #FireRickRemender

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 611 posts

Re: Social Justice Crusade Takes Odd Twist After Outraged Fa

Postby HNutz » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:40 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
But, was she drunk? She does not have the same hangover Falcon has and her metabolism is engineered and different. in theory she raped him.

Would LOVE to hear her response to that! (No, not really)

I commented on the article and the Examiner.com Facebook page. Not holding my breath or anything...

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 398 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: Where's our #fireremender discussion?

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:00 pm

Supersoldier Washout wrote:Not reading Captain America so I totally don't know what the Hell is going on.

Who is Jet Black and is the character in her 20's or is she 14?

Answering this question from page one since everyone else seems to have ignored it.

Jet Black is Jet Black Zola, the genetically engineered daughter of Arnim Zola. This issue established that she is in her twenties. The reason why some people have jumped to the wrong conclusion about her age was that until recently John Romita Jr.'s artwork made her look like she was a teenager and people just assumed that's around what her age was despite nothing being said until this particular issue to establish her exact age.

Basically, this issue Jet Black and the Falcon get drunk and slept together. During the day after, Jet Black stated her age as 23, so presumably there should have been no problem along those lines. It seems that there were a few too many people who didn't bother reading the dialogue in that scene carefully enough, and based on their incorrect assumptions about her age, jumped to some pretty horrific conclusions about what that scene was depicting.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Supersoldier Washout likes this post.

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Postby HNutz » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:14 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
Answering this question from page one since everyone else seems to have ignored it.

Jet Black is Jet Black Zola, the genetically engineered daughter of Arnim Zola. This issue established that she is in her twenties. The reason why some people have jumped to the wrong conclusion about her age was that until recently John Romita Jr.'s artwork made her look like she was a teenager and people just assumed that's around what her age was despite nothing being said until this particular issue to establish her exact age.

Basically, this issue Jet Black and the Falcon get drunk and slept together. During the day after, Jet Black stated her age as 23, so presumably there should have been no problem along those lines. It seems that there were a few too many people who didn't bother reading the dialogue in that scene carefully enough, and based on their incorrect assumptions about her age, jumped to some pretty horrific conclusions about what that scene was depicting.

The lady who wrote the original article read it (even posting that scene with the article) and "didn't believe it" and carried on with her crusade. Even when it was pointed out to her repeatedly... nothing.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:19 pm

HNutz wrote:
The lady who wrote the original article read it (even posting that scene with the article) and "didn't believe it" and carried on with her crusade. Even when it was pointed out to her repeatedly... nothing.

Wow, that just makes it even worse. :smt011

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:28 pm

With each successive outrage I find myself more and more tired of the medium. Stop complaining and do something a bit more proactive. Comics are small and niche enough to actually make a difference if you put forth the effort. Unfortunately, we're in the age of lazy social justice that only requires the effort of typing a few characters and hitting 'Enter'. Fuck deeper analysis and context.

That being said...how old is the character mentally? If I cared enough to care, this would be the bigger issue. If the answer's 23, end of story. If not, there might be an academic debate. Not worth firing anyone over, though.

oogy likes this post.

Beige Lantern
crash test dummy

Liked in: 181 posts
Title: Galactic Decorator

Postby Beige Lantern » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:34 pm

HNutz wrote:So Stack got more information and apologized, but Gloria Miller presumably has not and will not, thinking that a 23 year old initiating sexual relations with a 30-something that's not okay, something that Marvel should apologize for and fire a writer (but not the editor who approved it) over.

That's because RAAAAAAAPE!!!!

I didn't read clearly enough when I said the complaints were not about "taking advantage" because here it is. Remember that there are mainstream feminists declaring that consensual sex involving two drunk partners can still be rape.
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world - "No, you move." - Captain America

HNutz likes this post.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:38 pm

superfictious wrote:With each successive outrage I find myself more and more tired of the medium. Stop complaining and do something a bit more proactive. Comics are small and niche enough to actually make a difference if you put forth the effort. Unfortunately, we're in the age of lazy social justice that only requires the effort of typing a few characters and hitting 'Enter'. Fuck deeper analysis and context.

That being said...how old is the character mentally? If I cared enough to care, this would be the bigger issue. If the answer's 23, end of story. If not, there might be an academic debate. Not worth firing anyone over, though.

IMO, she's been depicted as the typical offspring of a villain trying to do good despite her upbringing. She's a bit manipulative, but I don't see her emotional age as being all that much younger than her physical age. I'd pin it at late teens. around 18 or 19 at the youngest.

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Postby HNutz » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:39 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
Wow, that just makes it even worse. :smt011

Yup.

Gloria Miller wrote:. At the start of the series she's a very young child and is even referred to by Remender himself as being an infant. Over the span of Remender's Cap run only 12 years have past. All the previous information given to readers by Rick Remender places Jet Black at about 14 or 15 years old at most.

Here's where it gets sleazy: in issue #22, which came out on Wednesday featured an upsetting spread of panels depicting Sam Wilson getting drunk and sleeping with Jet Black who states that she's 23 years old - in contradiction to everything Remender has told us. Many defenders of Remender's action are complaining that since Jet Black herself claimed to be of age then there's nothing wrong; its painfully obvious that these people haven't read anything else beyond that single panel and certainly not the previous 21 issues that have been telling readers otherwise.

And then people corrected her.

And then she apologized-- oh,wait, no, she's cackling with glee.

So I wrote this in response to Captain America #22 and the massive backlash from fans and the comments coming from Remender apologists literally give me life. Stay thirsty bros!

Big thanks to ComicBookResources.com for citing me and my article!

Ugh.

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 146 posts

Postby dairydead » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:53 pm

I remember the good old days when you didn't like books, you just stopped reading them. I don't get why these social justice crusaders spend so much energy on this stuff.

3 people like this post.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 823 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:25 pm

dairydead wrote:I remember the good old days when you didn't like books, you just stopped reading them. I don't get why these social justice crusaders spend so much energy on this stuff.

RIP Anthony Cumia. :cry:
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

TimDrake'sDumbWings likes this post.

OneWhoIsAll
cheese

Liked in: 486 posts
Title: SilentKnight
Formerly: KnightofOwls

Postby OneWhoIsAll » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:26 pm

dairydead wrote:I remember the good old days when you didn't like books, you just stopped reading them. I don't get why these social justice crusaders spend so much energy on this stuff.

Most likey because they have nothing better to do.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 356 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:34 pm

HNutz wrote:
Yup.

And then people corrected her.

And then she apologized-- oh,wait, no, she's cackling with glee.

Ugh.

she seems to be just a little bit above Jude level narcism. Which is just the level that makes it dangerous.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1037 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:06 am

guitarsmashley wrote:But, was she drunk? She does not have the same hangover Falcon has and her metabolism is engineered and different. in theory she raped him.

I do find it highly dubious that the same bloggers who are feigning outrage over this whole affair have seemed to turn a blind eye to this. Sam very clearly has trouble remembering the previous evening while Jet appears to be no worse for the wear. Where are the unapologetic social crusaders to cry foul over this one?
ImageImageImage

HNutz likes this post.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 356 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:17 am

Grayson wrote:
I do find it highly dubious that the same bloggers who are feigning outrage over this whole affair have seemed to turn a blind eye to this. Sam very clearly has trouble remembering the previous evening while Jet appears to be no worse for the wear. Where are the unapologetic social crusaders to cry foul over this one?

Women can't rape only black males can. That is the message remender is sending.....or she is???
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

HNutz likes this post.

Rob Thompson
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 703 posts
Title: Soldier. Teacher.

Postby Rob Thompson » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:42 am

Dan Slott supports Remender -- which has me reconsidering this. Perhaps Remender does need to go. :P
"Observe. Orient. Decide. Act."

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand