Advertisement

Spider-men #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 275 posts

Re: Spider-men #1

Postby doombug » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:47 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
You know, that comes across as, "Bendis is a horrible goddamn writer, but once you get past that, he's written some of the best Spidey stories in years... even though they were originally done several years to several decades ago by others. But YES, really entertaining! Once you do the getting past thing."

:-D

:roll:

Advertisement

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 72 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:52 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:I said the other day to Slott, I miss the days where Spidey chased down a van of armed thugs

I don't read Spider-Man consistently anymore. I read a storyline or two, here or there.

But that is something I definitely miss anymore. Over the years, I wanted Peter Parker to get a job that allowed him to use his intellect. I liked his marriage to MJ, understood why Joe Quesada didn't, hated how they broke it up.

I understood why Marvel put him on the Avengers, have never really felt that him being on the team was make-or-break for the team or the character.

But this issue, what you are saying...this is the Spider-Man I like the most. Stopping crime, figuring stuff out, experienced enough that he's not whiny about stuff that happens, but instead knows who he's dealing with and what they're capable of.

I really enjoyed this issue because of that. Spider-Man...this, to me, is the kind of adventure he would have at this stage of his career. Again, I'm glad to see it.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 156 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:43 pm

I really liked it, but Bendis better have a great explanation for the Mysterio retcon up his sleeve.

I just re-read that run of Ult. Spidey with LaFuente on art, and there's no way that Mysterio even remotely seemed like he was the 616 one there.

Clearly, this wasn't planned all the way back then, so they're shoehorning the whole 616 Mysterio/Ult. Mysterio being the same guy thing.. I just hope it works with the previous appearance.

And Sara Pichelli is amazing. That is all.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 1196 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:03 pm

doombug wrote: :roll:

I have a hate rep to maintain.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:36 am

A story that was once unthinkable has finally happened, the Marvel Universe has crossed over into the Ultimate Universe. Whether or not this is a sign that Marvel have run out of ideas or not isn’t really an issue, because this was a damn good comic, and that final page where Peter Parker and Miles Morales come face to face may very well go down in comics history for me, it sent shivers down my back. This issue was mainly focussed on Peter Parker, Miles only shows up on the last page, we see him swing around, fight some crime, talk about how much he loves New York, all solid, traditional stuff that’s appropriate for a big event like this which is aiming to bring in new readers. He then runs across Mysterio, but it’s not just any Mysterio, it’s Ultimate Mysterio, who was messing with Ultimate Peter Parker before he died. He was a subplot that had kind of been dropped, so it’s good to see him back and for him to be the one to cause Peter to get sucked into the Ultimate Universe. The scenes with Peter in the Ultimate version of New York were great, and I liked how showed how the skyline differed from his New York. It’s the same basic layout, but there are differences, there’s no Avengers Tower, the Baxter Building is smashed up, and there’s a strange island floating out in the sea (and am I over-thinking it, or are some of the buildings showing signs of the flood from Ultimatum still?) Pichelli’s art was fantastic throughout actually, this is brilliant work, but those mirrored splash-pages were highlights. I just loved how freaked out Peter got, how people knew his name, and then… Miles shows up. Awesome. This is a great way to celebrate 50 years of the world’s best superhero (and that is a fact, you Batman fans can suck it!), and even though I had my doubts, they’ve gone now, I can’t wait to see Miles and Peter really interact.

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 1176 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:53 am

Holland Oats wrote:I really liked it, but Bendis better have a great explanation for the Mysterio retcon up his sleeve.

I just re-read that run of Ult. Spidey with LaFuente on art, and there's no way that Mysterio even remotely seemed like he was the 616 one there.

Clearly, this wasn't planned all the way back then, so they're shoehorning the whole 616 Mysterio/Ult. Mysterio being the same guy thing.. I just hope it works with the previous appearance.

And Sara Pichelli is amazing. That is all.

Agreed. Why hasn't Mysterio brought any of the tech from that universe back to the 616.

And reading the preview for issue three confirms this. Ult. Mysterio is a power house, while 616 is pretty cool and one if my favs, he just not in the same power level.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 124 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:49 pm

Agent Panic wrote:I was disappointed at the lack of homosexual subtext in this issue.

I demand more gayness !

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 602 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:57 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
You know, that comes across as, "Bendis is a horrible goddamn writer, but once you get past that, he's written some of the best Spidey stories in years... even though they were originally done several years to several decades ago by others. But YES, really entertaining! Once you do the getting past thing."

:-D

Not really what I said. The idea is flawed, but the execution is solid. That's essentially saying that Bendis is good enough to salvage a horrible idea.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand