Advertisement

AP spoils Iron Man #17?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Liked in: 0 post

Re: AP spoils Iron Man #17?

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:58 am

Punchy wrote:Tony's brother is called Arno, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that the name of some alternate future Iron Man? Iron Man 2020 or something?

This is correct.

Advertisement

Lord Ice
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 153 posts
Title: Deviant by design

Postby Lord Ice » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:41 am

That perhaps explains the shoulders.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 149 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:26 pm

Lord Ice wrote:Image

That perhaps explains the shoulders.

Yep.

adamiani
Snake On A Plane

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby adamiani » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:58 pm

Lord Ice wrote:That perhaps explains the shoulders.

Huh. That's.... surprisingly plausible.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:52 am

Kieron Gillen wraps up the epic ‘Secret Origin of Tony Stark’ storyline, with yet another shocking revelation. I’m not sure how I feel about it at the moment, but man, it’d ballsy, and I’m very excited to see where Gillen is going with this.

After initially revealing that Tony Stark had been manipulated since before his birth by 451 to be a technological messiah capable of piloting the Godkiller ship, Gillen swerved us by having Tony not actually be able to pilot the humongous death-robot. Why did this happen? Well, it’s because Tony is not the baby that 451 tampered with.

Once again flashing back, Gillen shows us that Howard Stark was nowhere near as trusting of 451 as we thought, and that he set about monitoring what was happening to his baby. Howard discovers that 451 had built in a failsafe that would cause the baby to die at Age 30. Howard worked to counteract this, and removed it, but he did more harm than good, as the baby was still born damaged, and was unable to breathe without technological help. Howard and Maria hid this baby, and adopted Tony as a decoy so that 451 would never now. This baby, named Arno, is still alive today, and has spent his entire life in a Hospice, inside an Iron Lung (hey, he’s an Iron Man too, very clever!), unable to speak except through a Stephen Hawking type deal, and waiting. Tony meets with him, tells Arno that because 451 is dead, he is free, and they plan to work together.

The revelation that Tony Stark is adopted is massive, and as I said, I’m not sure how I feel. It raises a lot of questions, like why the heck does Tony look so much like Howard (is it just the facial hair?) and what are the odds that a genius would adopt a baby who would turn out to also be a genius? But then that gets back to the very core of this story really, the question of nature or nurture. 451’s initial reveal said that Tony Stark’s genius was pre-designed nature, but now we see that really, it’s all nurture.

But there are a lot of exciting plots that can spin out from this. Who are Tony’s real parents? What is Arno’s personality like? Could he become a villain? Will he ever come into contact with the Godkiller? What does this Arno Stark have to do with the other one, the one from the year 2020 (which is only 6 and a bit years away)? Man, Gillen has turned Iron Man’s world around all over again, I can’t wait to see what’s next.

Carlo Pagulayan’s artwork was once again very strong, even when it’s just breakdowns finished by the inker, Scott Hanna. I think he’s brought a great half-way point between Land and Eaglesham for this book, and I’m glad he’s sticking around.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand