Advertisement

AP spoils Iron Man #17?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 573 posts
Title: I have no idea…
Formerly: beta-ray

AP spoils Iron Man #17?

Postby sdsichero » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:59 am

I was a little surprised to see Iron Man on the AP site, under The Big Story.

I admit, I haven't been reading Iron Man since the first arc of Marvel NOW! so maybe this has been revealed again. In fact, the idea that they'd be revisiting Tony Stark's "origin" again made me drop it. Anyways, as I said I dunno if it is news at all, but if it is, it was spoiled by AP.

In Marvel's 'Iron Man,' family's secrets unravel

The big reveal comes in the pages of "Iron Man" No. 17, out Wednesday in comic shops, written by Kieron Gillen, illustrated by Carlo Pagulayan and Scott Hanna, lettered by Joe Caramagna and edited by Mark Paniccia.

In it Gillen brings the long-simmering story to its conclusion with Stark finding out that not only is he — again, spoilers — adopted, but that his parents, Howard and Maria, had a son — imbued with alien technology proffered by the rogue android 451 — who has been hidden away from the world, laden with unknown abilities and, perhaps, powers.

Hrmn. Glad I stopped.

Advertisement

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 145 posts

Re: AP spoils Iron Man #17?

Postby doombug » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:22 am

:smt011

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:36 am

Buh?

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 207 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:59 am

Seriously? Ugh.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 207 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:00 am

And by that I mean the plot point, not the AP spoiler.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:58 am

That sounds all sorts of terrible. Gillen's written some of my favorite stories but... I don't know how this could appear in the comic and not sound all sorts of terrible.

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:08 am

Wow, that's even dumber than I ever would've imagined.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 362 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:46 am

I'm not sure how to take the spoiler since I've been reading the arc and the arc is actually good so I will reserve full judgement until I read the actual story.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 821 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:32 am

:smt078
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:51 pm

:lol:

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:55 pm

It actually works in the story. The reveal isn't as cliche as the spoiler leads readers to believe and it actually explains a few plot points along the way that didn't make much sense without the ending.

adamiani
Attorney at Law

Liked in: 5 posts

Postby adamiani » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:48 pm

SuperginraiX wrote:That sounds all sorts of terrible. Gillen's written some of my favorite stories but... I don't know how this could appear in the comic and not sound all sorts of terrible.

... it actually sounds like it could work, to me. I've kind of been expecting SOMETHING like this for a couple months, just from cursory glances. Seems like the best possible outcome given a potentially disastrous premise.

Having spent the last few issues building up the idea that Tony Stark was genetically engineered by a shady group of aliens to pilot a suit of celestial-grade armor, I'm actually pretty glad to see him back away and turn it into a headfake (eg, such a kid existed... but it wasn't Tony). It means the 'Stark may be adopted' bit is the only real origin change. Although the lasting bit is probably going to be: Howard Stark had another son, which for various reasons Tony was unaware of until now?

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 138 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:03 pm

adamiani wrote:
... it actually sounds like it could work, to me. I've kind of been expecting SOMETHING like this for a couple months, just from cursory glances. Seems like the best possible outcome given a potentially disastrous premise.

Having spent the last few issues building up the idea that Tony Stark was genetically engineered by a shady group of aliens to pilot a suit of celestial-grade armor, I'm actually pretty glad to see him back away and turn it into a headfake (eg, such a kid existed... but it wasn't Tony). It means the 'Stark may be adopted' bit is the only real origin change. Although the lasting bit is probably going to be: Howard Stark had another son, which for various reasons Tony was unaware of until now?

Wouldn't be a shock if Howard Stark had another kid or two. O could imagine him being a womanizer like Tony.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 362 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:16 am

Well having read the issue and the arc and the series. It all works and since things like this don't just get dropped in a writers run I'm curious to see how it keeps playing out. I wish I hadn't read the spoiler before the book but I don't have a problem with the story at all. Its not like the kid/man has wires coming out of his body. And well, you can either read the whole thing or read this bit out of context. It's a good story that would probably upset Spektre so there. A reason to like this, Spektre will get banned at CBR for talking about it.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:50 am

Tony's brother is called Arno, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that the name of some alternate future Iron Man? Iron Man 2020 or something?

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand