Advertisement

Superior Foes Of Spider-Man #2 (The Partridge Family Spoiler

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Superior Foes Of Spider-Man #2 (The Partridge Family Spoiler

Postby Punchy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:16 pm

Wow, I was impressed by #1 of this title, but this issue I liked even more. This really is the new Hawkeye, and that is high praise indeed. In this issue, we are treated to more of Boomerang’s depressing life as a small-time criminal trying to step up, all tied together with the idea of what the worst thing about being a supervillain is.

Is it The Punisher? Maybe, especially since he doesn’t play by the rules and just kills you? Is it the meetings? I’d say so, as Spencer has the characters address the fact that their team is one man (or woman) short of being the Sinister Six. I loved this scene, the dialogue was really funny, and it really showed the unique perspective this book has on the Marvel Universe. The call back to the ‘Sinister Syndicate’ was great, and I loved Boomerang’s idea that people would think there was some secret mystery member, maybe even Dormammu backing them up, which is hilarious, and makes me want to see these losers get wrapped up in some kind of magical adventure.

Or maybe the worst thing about being a supervillain is the lawyers, as we are introduced to Boomerang’s lawyer, a shyster by the name of Partridge. I like this new character already, he’s a different kind of lawyer in the Marvel Universe. Most of the time we see heroic lawyers like Daredevil or She-Hulk, but now we’re seeing a corrupt asshole of a lawyer, which should be fun, I’d certainly like to see him go up against Matt Murdock or Jen Walters in court.

The main crime the Sinister Five commit in this issue is to rob a high-class restaurant, but uh-oh, they are interrupted by The Punisher. Only it’s not Frank Castle, it’s actually the Chameleon, come to put Boomerang back on track. I’m really enjoying the way this book is using Chameleon. The main Spider-Man series kind of turned him into a joke, but here, he’s dangerous. The task he’s set Boomerang? To nab the head of Silvio Silvermane. Not only does this call to mind the classic Peckinpah movie, but it’s just such a cool idea.

But of course, with this title, it’s not just insane heists Boomerang has to deal with, but more realistic stuff, like his new parole officer, who is none other than his old pal, Abner Jenkins, who is now Mach VII. Being a big Thunderbolts fan, it’s always great to see these characters show up, and in a book like this, I think Spencer can have a lot of fun with the former Beetle. Oh yeah, and Shocker knows that Boomerang is lying to the team, that should be an interesting plotline, already, this title has some gripping subplots.

Steve Lieber’s art is once again perfect for this title, it’s realistic and low-key, which really works for what is essentially a crime book, I also like the way he experiments with cartoony daydreams and the like. Much like with Hawkeye, half the fun of this title is seeing superhero characters drawn in a new and different way. But of course, the story is also great, Spencer has really drawn me into this lowlife world, Boomerang is already better-realised than most superheroes, and the rest of the characters are getting there. And also, this issue had no Spider-Man in it at all, I know this book probably needs his name on it to sell, but it does seem kind of out of place.
Last edited by Punchy on Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 131 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Re: Superior Foes Of Spider-Man #2 (The Partridge Family Spo

Postby Zechs » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:30 pm

I love this book and it is only getting better. :-D

I only wish Rhino was alive to be in this book too.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:15 pm

Zechs wrote:I love this book and it is only getting better. :-D

I only wish Rhino was alive to be in this book too.

Nah man, Rhino is way too legit to be in this book.

The most powerful character in this team is The Shocker. The fucking Shocker.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:29 pm

Punchy wrote:
Nah man, Rhino is way too legit to be in this book.

The most powerful character in this team is The Shocker. The fucking Shocker.

He along with Abe once hung out with the crowd as the Sinister Syndicate.

Stalzer2002
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 23 posts

Postby Stalzer2002 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:20 pm

With the Elmore Leonard vibe this book gives off, the only thing the first issue was missing was the Raylan Givens character. For those of you who haven't seen Justified, well, what are you doing here? Fire up Netflix and check it out. It's one of the best shows on TV. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Okay, you're back. Good. Now that we all know that Raylan is a less than completely noble lawman whose personal ties to the underworld run deeper than his connections to law enforcement, we all agree that Abe is perfect for the role, right?

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 207 posts

Postby Draco x » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:47 pm

It would be interesting to see the other Thunderbolts, Jack O Lantern, Hobgoblin and Hydro Man show up in this book at some point as well.

Stalzer2002
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 23 posts

Postby Stalzer2002 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:25 pm

draco x wrote:It would be interesting to see the other Thunderbolts, Jack O Lantern, Hobgoblin and Hydro Man show up in this book at some point as well.

Blizzard would make a nice addition to the cast as a kid who wants to get out of the life, but just can't seem to pull away.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:22 am

Stalzer2002 wrote:With the Elmore Leonard vibe this book gives off, the only thing the first issue was missing was the Raylan Givens character. For those of you who haven't seen Justified, well, what are you doing here? Fire up Netflix and check it out. It's one of the best shows on TV. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Okay, you're back. Good. Now that we all know that Raylan is a less than completely noble lawman whose personal ties to the underworld run deeper than his connections to law enforcement, we all agree that Abe is perfect for the role, right?

Um it's only available to stream on Amazon, not Netflix. :oops:

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:38 am

Justified is on UK Netflix, and I recently made my way through all 4 seasons.

It is indeed amazing.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:08 am

Punchy wrote:Justified is on UK Netflix, and I recently made my way through all 4 seasons.

It is indeed amazing.

You lucky bastards!!! :smt013

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:13 am

Zechs wrote:
You lucky bastards!!! :smt013

Meh, the amount of stuff that isn't on UK Netflix is huge, having Justified doesn't really make up for it.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand