Advertisement

Superior Foes Of Spider-Man #10 (Widdle feewings Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Superior Foes Of Spider-Man #10 (Widdle feewings Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:11 pm

I was surprised that another issue of Superior Foes came out this week, as #9 only came out last week, but it turns out it’s a fill-in issue without Spencer and Lieber, so it actually does make sense. Even without the regular creative team, this was still a very fun comic, as James Asmus teams up with a bunch of artists to tell some shorter stories about Overdrive, Beetle and Speed Demon. The focus on these characters is really welcome as, for better or for worse (mostly better), Superior Foes has always been the Boomerang show, with Shocker starting to get a bit more focus in the last few issues. Apart from Beetle’s origin issue, the other 3 members of the Sinister Six have mainly been background players, good for a laugh and a lot of fun, but we didn’t know much about them. Thanks to Asmus, now we do. This issue isn’t quite as good as the previous 9, but it keeps the same humorous tone and style, and is well worth it.

The framing story here is that the 3 lovable losers have robbed a bar in Brooklyn, but the safe is on a timer, so rather than try and bust it open, they decide to sit and wait. To pass the time, they tell stories about their biggest successes as supervillains, the biggest superhero they every actually defeated.

Overdrive is up first, and his big win was actually Hercules, but it wasn’t much of a win. This was his first crime, and he did it without a mask, Hercules got in the way, and Overdrive ran away. He stole a motorcycle helmet, and with it on, Hercules didn’t recognise him, and he was able to escape. Not only was this a funny story, but it was a cool bit of back-story for the least well-know Superior Foe. It also set up what could be a funny recurring gag, as Overdrive is still, to this day, afraid that Hercules will come and beat him up.

Beetle’s big victory was also a rather unconventional one. It was against Daredevil, but it wasn’t in battle, it was in court. She was representing a sociopathic criminal in court, with Matt Murdock trying to convict the guy. Beetle tried to ‘out’ Daredevil’s secret, but when she was unsuccessful, she just used her criminal contacts to get The Looter to attack the Courthouse. Matt sensed this, and, as Daredevil, went out to stop Looter. He did, but in the meantime, Beetle won the case.

Speed Demon’s story is basically a bunch of jokes about him bragging about beating heroes that he never actually did, but it does end with a truly great Superior Foes moment, as Speed Demon describes how he beat Overdrive’s arch-enemy Hercules by giving him an STD. Well, not him personally, he gave a supervillain groupie he knew to have the clap Herc’s location and let that take it’s course. That is just so small-time it’s perfect, and of course, given that Hercules is a God, he probably can’t get STDs anyway. These characters are such Z-listers that even when they win… they actually lose.

The issue ends when who else but Hercules walks into the bar looking for a drink, and giving the Sinister 3 the gift of battle. I’m a massive Hercules fan, so it was a lot of fun to have him play such an unexpected role here.

There were 4 or so artists in this issue, so it was a mixed bag, I liked Nuno Piati and Pepe Larraz’s segments the best, but overall, it was solid. This issue did look a lot more conventional than what Steve Lieber gives us, but it was by no means bad, and was in fact preferable to a sub-Lieber copycat. James Asmus did a good job here at stepping into considerable shoes. It’s not ideal to have fill-ins, but when they are good, it doesn’t matter, this issue stacks up well with Spencer.

Advertisement

Stalzer2002
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 41 posts

Re: Superior Foes Of Spider-Man #10 (Widdle feewings Spoiler

Postby Stalzer2002 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:08 pm

I really hate fill-ins. I'm fine with guest artists (like in issue seven), but not with guest writers. This wasn't a bad comic, but it was a bad issue of Superior Foes. Even in the best case scenario, you get something that winds up reading like a superficial imitation of the work that you're used to. Sure, this book had the aspects that make Superior Foes a good comic. It had a few funny moments and we saw the characters' thoughts expressed visually. But it missed the things that make it a great comic. The art lacked Lieber's subtlety, both in his character work and his visual gags. Worse yet, while Spencer's writing perfectly balances characterization, drama, AND comedy, Asmus focused solely on the comedy and failed to provide any interesting depth to the cast. Superior Foes is easily my favorite superhero book of the last five years, and this one simply wasn't up to its high standards. Unfortunately, next issue will be another fill in before Spencer and Lieber return with issue twelve. If there's a silver lining in this, it's that it is a little strange that they'd have a fill in a few months before cancelling the book. Hopefully this means that it'll have a little more leash than rumors are suggesting.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Re: Superior Foes Of Spider-Man #10 (Widdle feewings Spoiler

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:04 am

Loved this issue. Quantum & Woody and The End Times of Ben and Bram made Asmus one of my favorite humor writers working today, so I really enjoyed his touch with the story. If they can maintain this level of quality with fill-ins, this might be the only time in my comics reading I've ever been alright with fill-ins.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand