Advertisement

Superior Spider-Man #14 (Spiderlings Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Superior Spider-Man #14 (Spiderlings Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:20 am

The ending of Superior Spidey #13 saw Spider-Man begin to pick up his game in a big way. He’s taken over The Raft, naming it ‘Spider-Island 2’ and was on the look-out for Henchmen to help him fight crime in his own, unique way. In this issue, we see the ‘Superior Superior Spider-Man’ in action for the first time, and it is AWESOME.

I’m sure many people will have problems with this story, because it’s not how Spider-Man traditionally wages battle, but this is a new Spider-Man, and it’s exciting to see something different than ‘Spider-Man randomly swings past a crime’. SpOck is actively seeking out crime, and in this issue, he goes after it in the biggest way possible, and after the biggest man possible. Yes, it’s SpOck Vs The Kingpin, and it’s not what you’d expect. Kingpin has been hanging around in the background of Dan Slott’s run for a while now, and here it comes to a head as SpOck attacks Shadowland with an army of Henchmen and some huge Spider-Mechs! Not to mention a stylish new costume, very well drawn by Humberto Ramos, I know his cartoonish style doesn’t work for everyone, but I think it’s perfect for Spider-Man, even a darker take like the current one.

I loved the reveal of just how differently this Spider-Man was going to take the fight to the Kingpin, and how it really is ‘superior’. There was little to no villainy here, SpOck just increased the scale of his operation and really did save some lives. Of course, there are consequences here. Both Kingpin and Hobgoblin escaped, and I really liked the idea of Fisk having a big fat body-double so he could escape his death, and once more, the secret threat of the Green Goblin and his army rears it’s head, as the surviving members of Fisk’s Hand troops join up with Norman. That’s one of the best things about this series I think, for as much as Otto is actually achieving great things as Spider-Man, there’s one thing he’s overlooking, and that’s the Green Goblin, his only real contender for the title of Spider-Man’s arch-nemesis. Slott is building to an epic conflict between these two villains, and I can’t wait to see it play out.

But in the meantime, I’m loving the smaller stories within, and seeing how Slott and Otto are coming up with fresh new takes on how exactly to fight crime. Plus, seeing how these fresh takes piss people off, that’s amazing too. Sorry, not amazing, that word isn’t good enough anymore.

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand