Advertisement

Superior Spider-Man #30 (My turn Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Superior Spider-Man #30 (My turn Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:05 am

The penultimate issue of Superior Spider-Man is here, and it lives up to all of my expectations and then some. It’s not hyperbole to say that the last 3 or 4 pages of this comic are up there with the best Spider-Man moments of all time for me. To cut to the chase, Peter Parker is back, and it is epic.

Slott and Gage begin with both SpOck and Spider-Man 2099 in the grip of the now Goblin-controlled Spider-Slayers. Goblin and Menace reveal that they’ve got Anna Maria held hostage, and basically taunt Spider-Man with what they view as an impossible dilemma. He can go save Anna Maria, butt hat would mean just leaving Spidey 2099 behind to face the Slayers alone. But of course, SpOck doesn’t give a fuck about Miguel, so he just bails on out of there. It remains to be seen what impact this particular bout of selfishness will have, and I imagine it will end up rebounding onto Peter. Spider-Man races across the city, which is being ravaged by Spider-Slayers, and the assorted Avengers are having trouble holding them back. Another troubling plotline for the future comes up here, as Iron Man and Captain America discover the illegal clinic that SpOck has been running. I was also intrigued by the brief scene focusing on J. Jonah Jameson as it looks like his blunder with the Spider-Slayers will cost him his office as Mayor, especially as Liz Allan has burned him. It also seems like Liz has been working for the Goblins all along to help protect Normie, which does a good job at explaining just how the Goblin hacked the Slayers.

Once again, many of this issue’s best scenes take place inside the mindscape, as the journey through Otto Octavius’ memories gets right up to date, as he relives the events of Amazing Spider-Man #700. This is what opens the door for Peter Parker’s return, as the memory of having Peter Parker’s memories shoved into his mind is what reawakens all of those memories again. It’s all come full circle, the Ghost Peter is fully back, and ready to help out.

And he’s needed, as Menace has lured Spider-Man down into the Subway, where she and Green Goblin have what looks to be Anna Maria tied to the tracks. I loved the nod Slott gave to the death of Gwen Stacy here, he’s used bridges before, so now it’s tunnels. The hostage turns out not to be Anna Maria, but Amy Chen, the little girl who’s disease Otto helped cure. Just as the train is about to hit, Otto can’t decide what to do. He knows he should help the girl, but it’s so risky, if he misses, then he’ll be dead, and he won’t be able to save Anna Maria or anyone else later on. Crippled by self-doubt, it takes the Peter ghost to spur him on, forcing him to jump, and save the girl. Peter reveals himself to Otto and tells him that, if you’ve got no time to prepare, you just do the right thing, no matter the risk. This is the big moment, as Otto realises that his methods are not going to get the job done here, and that Peter’s willingness to sacrifice himself is what makes him the actual Superior Spider-Man. Throughout this run, Slott has done a brilliant job at comparing and contrasting Peter Parker with Otto Octavius, and the dialogue between them here just sums it up. Otto isn’t as smart as he thinks he is, so he overcompensates, whereas Peter is a lot smarter than he gives himself credit for, but he sacrifices that to help others.

Spider-Man returns to Parker Industries, where he once again enters the mindscape. Only this time, he doesn’t delete Peter Parker’s memories, but Otto Octavius. To save those he loves, he has to sacrifice himself. It’s really quite moving, and it’s great to see that the events of these last 30 issues have had a massive impact on Otto Octavius. This run didn’t turn Spider-Man evil (OK, maybe a bit), it turned Doctor Octopus good. Peter, now fully in control, wipes away a tear, and goes to his wardrobe, where he dons the classic, bright blue and red costume and prepares to take on Green Goblin himself. It’s spine-tingling stuff for sure, and just made me grin from ear to ear. Spider-Man is back! He’s fucking back! I hope all of the people who hated this idea and sent Slott death threats read this issue, because this return after a long absence is worth far more than if we had just had 30 issues of normal Peter Parker adventures.

Giuseppe Camuncoli’s artwork was excellent as ever, he continues to outdo himself with the mindscape layouts, and that penultimate page, where Peter puts on his old costume was told just through his art, and it was perfect. I can’t wait for the final chapter of this brilliant story. I’m surprised that Peter is back already, but now, I wouldn’t have it any other way. The only thing left to do now is to stop the Green Goblin, and hey, who the hell is he anyway?

Advertisement

Johnny Smith
cheese

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Re: Superior Spider-Man #30 (My turn Spoilers)

Postby Johnny Smith » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:13 pm

For anybody who likes extras, Black Widow #1 is reprinted in the back of the comic :P

adamiani
Whale Castrato

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby adamiani » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:09 pm

Splash at the end was kind of disappointing. I mean, that was an emotional beat we've been waiting for, for a very long time, should have been a shoe-in for one of the most memorable pages of the decade, and he just doesn't look that cool. And, in fact, the impact is split between the Peter's Memories two-page splash mid-issue and the final re-suiting.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 51 posts

Postby doombug » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:09 pm

Really loved how Ock came to peace with what needed to be done and kind of did the passing of the torch moment/handshake to his greatest foe.

It was a touching scene.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:56 pm

adamiani wrote:Splash at the end was kind of disappointing. I mean, that was an emotional beat we've been waiting for, for a very long time, should have been a shoe-in for one of the most memorable pages of the decade, and he just doesn't look that cool. And, in fact, the impact is split between the Peter's Memories two-page splash mid-issue and the final re-suiting.

It worked for me.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 196 posts

Postby Draco x » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:09 pm

I believe that the Green Goblin really being a brainwashed Harry is very possible at this point

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:55 pm

Draco x wrote:I believe that the Green Goblin really being a brainwashed Harry is very possible at this point

:roll: :lol:

If you read the comic, you'd know at least one half of the equation of just who is playing the goblin game.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:25 pm

doombug wrote: :roll: :lol:

If you read the comic, you'd know at least one half of the equation of just who is playing the goblin game.

I said very possible, did I not?

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 138 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:35 am

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
Is it me or did Slott drop a huge spoiler with Liz?

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 234 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:27 am

I detested One More Day and the bunk that followed, but I hooked back up with Spidey and stayed once the Doc Ock era started. It was different, it was new (especially from the character's perspective) and, while I may not have cared for many of them, a new supporting cast was appreciated over the tired same old ones.

And now that's likely all gone - which is okay. I think it'll be fun to see how Peter picks up the pieces without Otto's memories to tell him what's been going on (altho Otto can't be all gone, as Peter seemed to know exactly where his uniform was).

As for the Goblin story - ugh. The only interesting thing about him is that he killed Gwen, after that he's just a boring character (no matter who's under the mask). This part of the Spidey saga can't get over fast enough.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:44 pm

GOSD wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
Is it me or did Slott drop a huge spoiler with Liz?

I think it's a nod to the bigger thing at play. :smt102

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:23 pm

doombug wrote:I think it's a nod to the bigger thing at play. :smt102

I just came up with a new crazy theory: it could be that either Liz or Harry are being manipulated or brainwashed into being Norman's GG stand-in quite possibly. It could be that one of them got implanted with Norman's consciousness when he went into that coma awhile back-although it would be hard to explain how Norman's body got moved out of the hospital, assuming he didn't wake up and just walk out.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 589 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:57 pm

Wow, that really took a surprising twist. :?

Don't get me wrong, I'm overjoyed that Peter Parker is finally back in complete control and I actually really enjoyed this issue but didn't it all seem a bit too easy?
ImageImageImage

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:08 pm

Grayson wrote:Wow, that really took a surprising twist. :?

Don't get me wrong, I'm overjoyed that Peter Parker is finally back in complete control and I actually really enjoyed this issue but didn't it all seem a bit too easy?

Yeah, I am not completely buying the fact that Ock would just punk out like that unless Slott will soon reveal that he has an ace up his sleeve in the next issue. Furthermore, Slott is going to have a very good reason why Liz is actually helping the goblins in regards to her son-although I am betting that Norman or his cult are forcing her to side with them to protect her child.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand