Advertisement

Superman #23.1 - Bizarro (Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Superman #23.1 - Bizarro (Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:44 am

I wasn’t initially planning on picking this book up, because I dropped Lobdell’s Superman, but I like Bizarro, so, what the hell. Interestingly this story wasn’t really about Bizarro himself, but instead about his creator, Lex Luthor. It seems like DC are going back to basics with Bizarro, no square-shaped Earth full of opposites, just a clone of Superman gone wrong.

This issue is written by Sholly Fisch, who did a good job of writing the various back-up stories during Grant Morrison’s Action Comics run, so it was cool to see him revisit those stories for this issue. We open with a flashback to Morrison’s run, where we see how Luthor gets his hands on Superman’s DNA, and then we see him attempt to use it to create his own Superman that he can control. Of course, it goes wrong and Lex has to fight an out of control monster. It turns out that combining Superman’s DNA with a human won’t work, so he’ll have to do a straight-up clone, and that’s where the issue ends, with a mysterious clone floating in a tank labelled ‘B-0’, which seems to indicate Bizarro.

It looks like this story will continue in Forever Evil, as I suspect with Superman ‘dead’, Lex will have to use Bizarro to go up against Ultraman. That’s another problem with these Villain’s Month comics, you don’t know how they connect to other comics, some of them are continuing ongoing plots (and not always for the book they are numbered for), some are tied-in directly with the crossover, and others are just standalone stories, and you don’t know what’s what until you slap down your $4, it’s confusing.

But anyway, this was a decent story, Fisch gets the world of Superman, and I’m excited to see what Bizarro is like when he does finally appear, I think this more stripped-down, Byrne-era approach works better for me than the Silver-Age nonsense. The art here comes from Jeff Johnson, who I’m not familiar with, but he does an OK job, with some interesting panel layouts, but it was nothing amazing.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 139 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: Superman #23.1 - Bizarro (Spoilers)

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:28 pm

I thought this was competent and well-written. It's hard not to have a soft spot for Silver Age Bizarro though!

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 559 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:41 pm

Whhaaaatt ? ? ! :shock:

Vic Squid actually likes a DC title this week ? :lol:
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 214 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:42 pm

It turns out that combining Superman’s DNA with a human won’t work

Wait. Isn't Nu-Connor Kent Part Supes, Part Lois Lane now? :smt017

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 139 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:13 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:Whhaaaatt ? ? ! :shock:

Vic Squid actually likes a DC title this week ? :lol:

It was light praise, I figured I should at least give it a read before I flip it and I found it competent and well-crafted in comparison to most of the other Villains books I've read this week.

So far the Count Vertigo book was a real surprise, though, it was head-and-shoulders above the rest that I've read.

And soon I'll have read all the VM specials.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 559 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:08 am

It turns out that combining Superman’s DNA with a human won’t work

Juan Cena wrote:Wait. Isn't Nu-Connor Kent Part Supes, Part Lois Lane now? :smt017

A bit more involved than that. :wink: Lobdell explains Superboy's origin
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand