Advertisement

Superman #3 (No History. No Past. No Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Superman #3 (No History. No Past. No Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:31 am

The changes in art didn’t really effect this book too much, Nicola Scott is working off of Perez’s breakdowns as well, so it maintains a similar look to Jesus Merino in many ways and is very good. I liked half of this book and disliked the other half. The opening with the sort of potted history of Superman was really good, highlighting for the first time the connection between this book and Action Comics, and giving us some hints as to where Morrison’s story is going. I also liked how Perez went to the Fleischer cartoons as inspiration for some of the first threats Superman faced, we got the giant robots and the Sky Raiders. It indicates how this take on Superman is drawing on more than just the Silver Age stuff. I also really liked the page where Superman’s visit to his parent’s graves was contrasted with the suggestion that he has no history or past. The second half with the ice villain was very generic, but it does raise the stakes a bit now that one of the alien-possessed people is someone Clark Kent knows.

Advertisement

oogy
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 129 posts
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535

Re: Superman #3 (No History. No Past. No Spoilers)

Postby oogy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:22 am

I'm glad you enjoyed this because I did not. I think I'll be dropping this book on my next order.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 155 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:28 am

The worst thing about this reboot is that three months and six issues (nine, counting JL) in, I still don't really know who this version of Supes really is, or if I like him or not. He seems way too aloof, and in some cases way too antagonistic (like in the scene with Gen. Lane in Superman #2.) You don't get an idea that there's a real emotional connection between him and anyone else.

I know the talk is that this version is supposed to be like Bruce Springsteen, in some ways. He's distant emotionally from other people, but acts as a mirror on their souls, revealing truths about them they may not like to see.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Sasher McSmasher
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 511 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby Sasher McSmasher » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:23 pm

I like the Superman in JLA, I like the Superman in Action Comics, but the Superman in Superman just bores me to tears. I am just not liking this book very much at all. After 3 issues I think I am gonna drop this book from the pull list.

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 315 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:15 pm

Knuckles McSmasher wrote:I like the Superman in JLA, I like the Superman in Action Comics, but the Superman in Superman just bores me to tears. I am just not liking this book very much at all. After 3 issues I think I am gonna drop this book from the pull list.

I cant stand most of the books from DC anymore. The Bat Families, Lantern Families, and a few others are the only ones that are still readable. My love of Superman is virtually gone at this point.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 155 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:34 pm

Knuckles McSmasher wrote:I like the Superman in JLA, I like the Superman in Action Comics, but the Superman in Superman just bores me to tears. I am just not liking this book very much at all. After 3 issues I think I am gonna drop this book from the pull list.
\

Supes is all bratty and snotty in Action, and pretty much is aloof in Superman. He's not likable in either book.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 423 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:31 am

avengingtitan wrote:I cant stand most of the books from DC anymore. The Bat Families, Lantern Families, and a few others are the only ones that are still readable. My love of Superman is virtually gone at this point.

Just read what you like, and fuck the rest. Think of the money you're saving.
That's what I do :lol:
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand