Sunday, May 29, 2016 • Morning Edition • "Putting the yellow back into journalism."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Superman Makes Life Change, Further Ruined

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LoganRSA

penile prisoner

Postby LoganRSA » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:04 pm

I seem to remember Clark moving to TV journalism in the 70s (80s?). It makes a certain amount of sense, but part of the reason for the newspaper job was humanization and being in touch with others. Taking a more solitary job seems to defeat that.

Woody

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Woody » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:11 pm

I think editorial thinking "this will make Superman look more in touch with modern audiences" only solidifies how out-of-touch editorial really is.

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:13 pm

Woody wrote:I think editorial thinking "this will make Superman look more in touch with modern audiences" only solidifies how out-of-touch editorial really is.

Yeah I think so too. The fact they still couldn't update the Daily Planet is another element too.

bkthomson

Rain Partier

Postby bkthomson » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:14 pm

Please do not feed the animals it just makes them cranky and say more stupid stuff.

BlueStreak

The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:16 pm

Who in their fucking mind would want to blog about shit? That's my question.

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:18 pm

Timbales wrote:Newspaper print editions are closing down left and right, it's not that odd to have him moving to an internet - based job.

Moving to an internet-based job, and starting an internet-based job are two different things. Trust me on this one.

Woody

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Woody » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:19 pm

Zechs wrote:
Yeah I think so too. The fact they still couldn't update the Daily Planet is another element too.

Yeah, why not just change the Daily Planet into an online news site if they felt him working for a newspaper was outdated?

bkthomson

Rain Partier

Postby bkthomson » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:25 pm

Woody wrote: Yeah, why not just change the Daily Planet into an online news site if they felt him working for a newspaper was outdated?

Worked for ultimate Peter Parker.

GHERU

Rain Partier

Postby GHERU » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:36 pm

bkthomson wrote:
Worked for ultimate Peter Parker.

at least something did

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:28 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:Believe it or not, I'm totally OK with this. I think Scott Lobdell's reasoning is sound enough, and it makes sense at this point of the publication history of Superman.

I mean, my God. He's been at newspapers for 70 years. Times change. Moving the character forward that little bit gives him the opportunity to meet new supporting characters, provide different perspectives on what it is to be Superman.

And he can't meet new people while working for the Daily Planet? Employees come and go at companies like that all the time. Not just reporters, either.

Superman can only change so much. But to me, I'd never have him date Lois Lane again and I would have a little less emphasis on the Daily Planet, because you know what? Those stories have been told. They have. That doesn't mean you can't EVER tell them again, but you can certainly tell other stories for a period of time, too.

DC has pretty much forgotten how to use the Daily Planet like it was supposed to be used - as a plot point to get Superman involved in a story. I dropped Superman, but still read Action, and I really haven't seen Clark Sent out be Perry White to do some actual reporting.

It's not hard. A)Clark Kent goes out on story, which B)Turns out to be a job for Superman.

Superman needs to be both "energetic" and and "Everyman." He needs to define our better virtues and values - Honor, courage, and of course, "Truth, Justice, and the American Way." But he needs to be able to be relatable as well.

I'll agree with "bumbling" Clark though. Clark needs to get back to being more like the Clark of the Man of Steel era in a lot of ways. Though really I see Clark needing to be more of an Atticus Finch-type, where is mild-manned, but someone who isn't going to be pushed around wearing the glasses.

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:35 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:

Come on, man...be fair. I'm probably one of 20 guys left on the planet who knows who "Blackrock" is and what his origin is, so cut me some slack -- I know Clark hasn't ALWAYS worked at the Daily Planet.

What I'm saying is that the direction, the quitting and moving the character forward in a different direction, is welcome in my book. I'm absolutely serious when I say I don't need to read another story with Lois Lane or Jimmy Olsen or Perry White in it.

If you're going to reboot this thing, then freaking reboot it. Give the characters new interactions, new supporting characters. That's how you keep these character interesting -- give them something new to see and do.

You're not changing the backstory, Krypton/explosion/rocket/Smallville. But you can change the people around him as an adult and as Superman.

I think this is absolutely the right move.

But dangit, Legion needs to be stay the same way it was 30 years ago! :lol:

ESF, Amoebas, About every Legion fan not named "Nacireman"

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:48 pm

This sounds (and looks) like a comic book that wastes page space with lots of people texting or typing on computers. Yay comics. :roll:

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:00 pm

MrBlack wrote:Keep in mind that Thanoscoptor got his start writing action figure bios.

Tougon, the chief mafia! Doctor Jackstraw!
Enough, you're making me piss on meself, mate!

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:01 am

Does this mean Superman has a myspace account? Does he watch Nascar?

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:56 am

BlueMole wrote:Who in their fucking mind would want to blog about shit? That's my question.

http://ratemypoo.com/

leave a comment with facebook