Advertisement

Superman Makes Life Change, Further Ruined

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 253 posts
Title: Bitch, I'm fabulous
Formerly: Log-Man

Re: Superman Makes Life Change, Further Ruined

Postby Mr. Log » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:04 pm

I seem to remember Clark moving to TV journalism in the 70s (80s?). It makes a certain amount of sense, but part of the reason for the newspaper job was humanization and being in touch with others. Taking a more solitary job seems to defeat that.

Advertisement

Woody
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Woodrow if you're nasty

Postby Woody » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:11 pm

I think editorial thinking "this will make Superman look more in touch with modern audiences" only solidifies how out-of-touch editorial really is.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 341 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:13 pm

Woody wrote:I think editorial thinking "this will make Superman look more in touch with modern audiences" only solidifies how out-of-touch editorial really is.

Yeah I think so too. The fact they still couldn't update the Daily Planet is another element too.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 46 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:14 pm

Please do not feed the animals it just makes them cranky and say more stupid stuff.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 34 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:16 pm

Who in their fucking mind would want to blog about shit? That's my question.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 211 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:18 pm

Timbales wrote:Newspaper print editions are closing down left and right, it's not that odd to have him moving to an internet - based job.

Moving to an internet-based job, and starting an internet-based job are two different things. Trust me on this one.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Woody
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Woodrow if you're nasty

Postby Woody » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:19 pm

Zechs wrote:
Yeah I think so too. The fact they still couldn't update the Daily Planet is another element too.

Yeah, why not just change the Daily Planet into an online news site if they felt him working for a newspaper was outdated?

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 46 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:25 pm

Woody wrote: Yeah, why not just change the Daily Planet into an online news site if they felt him working for a newspaper was outdated?

Worked for ultimate Peter Parker.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 481 posts

Postby GHERU » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:36 pm

bkthomson wrote:
Worked for ultimate Peter Parker.

at least something did
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:28 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:Believe it or not, I'm totally OK with this. I think Scott Lobdell's reasoning is sound enough, and it makes sense at this point of the publication history of Superman.

I mean, my God. He's been at newspapers for 70 years. Times change. Moving the character forward that little bit gives him the opportunity to meet new supporting characters, provide different perspectives on what it is to be Superman.

And he can't meet new people while working for the Daily Planet? Employees come and go at companies like that all the time. Not just reporters, either.

Superman can only change so much. But to me, I'd never have him date Lois Lane again and I would have a little less emphasis on the Daily Planet, because you know what? Those stories have been told. They have. That doesn't mean you can't EVER tell them again, but you can certainly tell other stories for a period of time, too.

DC has pretty much forgotten how to use the Daily Planet like it was supposed to be used - as a plot point to get Superman involved in a story. I dropped Superman, but still read Action, and I really haven't seen Clark Sent out be Perry White to do some actual reporting.

It's not hard. A)Clark Kent goes out on story, which B)Turns out to be a job for Superman.

Superman needs to be both "energetic" and and "Everyman." He needs to define our better virtues and values - Honor, courage, and of course, "Truth, Justice, and the American Way." But he needs to be able to be relatable as well.

I'll agree with "bumbling" Clark though. Clark needs to get back to being more like the Clark of the Man of Steel era in a lot of ways. Though really I see Clark needing to be more of an Atticus Finch-type, where is mild-manned, but someone who isn't going to be pushed around wearing the glasses.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:35 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:

Come on, man...be fair. I'm probably one of 20 guys left on the planet who knows who "Blackrock" is and what his origin is, so cut me some slack -- I know Clark hasn't ALWAYS worked at the Daily Planet.

What I'm saying is that the direction, the quitting and moving the character forward in a different direction, is welcome in my book. I'm absolutely serious when I say I don't need to read another story with Lois Lane or Jimmy Olsen or Perry White in it.

If you're going to reboot this thing, then freaking reboot it. Give the characters new interactions, new supporting characters. That's how you keep these character interesting -- give them something new to see and do.

You're not changing the backstory, Krypton/explosion/rocket/Smallville. But you can change the people around him as an adult and as Superman.

I think this is absolutely the right move.

But dangit, Legion needs to be stay the same way it was 30 years ago! :lol:

ESF, Amoebas, About every Legion fan not named "Nacireman"

- Sons of the Desert

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 121 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:48 pm

This sounds (and looks) like a comic book that wastes page space with lots of people texting or typing on computers. Yay comics. :roll:

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 123 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:00 pm

MrBlack wrote:Keep in mind that Thanoscoptor got his start writing action figure bios.

Tougon, the chief mafia! Doctor Jackstraw!
Enough, you're making me piss on meself, mate!

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1142 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:01 am

Does this mean Superman has a myspace account? Does he watch Nascar?

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:56 am

BlueMole wrote:Who in their fucking mind would want to blog about shit? That's my question.

http://ratemypoo.com/

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand