Advertisement

Superman is more important than Lois Lane

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 107 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Re: Superman is more important than Lois Lane

Postby Punchy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:47 pm

Zero wrote:Oh man "congratulations on being a giant shitlord with no actual reading comprehension. " That should be your user title.

Hah!

It doesn't fit unfortunately.

Advertisement

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:48 pm

In all seriousness, take the criticism that is written well (There was 1/100 that I found.Probably more) to heart but realise that for every pissed off person complaining probably three or four dudes saw it and agreed but didn't wanna step into the shitstorm.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 343 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:49 pm

bkthomson wrote:
you'll have an easier time controlling Australia than this place.

Yes I will once I begin ordering THE CULLING and take out SD!!

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 254 posts
Title: Bitch, I'm fabulous
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:03 pm

Don't you dare apologize, Punchy. Internet whackos be damned. You didn't say anything morally wrong or factually inaccurate. As insane as some of the critics have been, you got a ton of "likes this" reactions, too. My only problem is you don't list yourself as "...of The Outhouse." :-D

Welcome to Internet fame :band

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 429 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:12 pm

To be dickish, these women apparently need a fictional female role model because the great actual female role models who exist out there aren't enough.

Its funny going through that lady's response to your post as apparently she's not actually picking up on what you're saying but instead using it as an excuseto misinterpret and satisfy her own cause.

People like her and DCWKA really miss the point of things and instead get all upset with idiot misinterpretations of what these celebrations mean.

But hey, I'll just sit here and celebrate the anniversary of the creation of a mythos that's had such a profound effect on Western civilaztion and the morals and values of generations instead of dividing things into parts with labels for his and hers. In the meantime, all these bitches who want to make fiction a gender issue should all be herded up, tied to train tracks and crushed by trains.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 35 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:14 pm

Honestly, Lois was one of the first well-developed female comic book characters out there, and is certainly among the most well known. I'd argue that she has more personality than most of DC's other female characters and has been woefully underutilized in recent years as anything other than a romantic interest for Superman. She's also historically been Superman's most critical supporting cast member, the one that continually grounds him and helps to define his humanity. There's a reason why all the evil Supermen stories feature Lois in the ground or with Lois permanently pushed aside. I can certainly see why she's a celebrated character amongst a group of people who are actively trying to push superhero comic book culture towards a less male-centric focus.

The tumblr reaction (like everything else on tumblr) is a frenzied heighten overreaction, but I can see why people are disagreeing with your stance.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1144 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:16 pm

Honestly, while I would normally agree that the feminism we see most of today is this useless sort of PC Facebook activism that is more concerned with posting snarky memes to an audience that already agrees with the opinion and being outraged on Tumblr, Lois Lane was an important character, and, frankly, a more interesting one than Superman, who is boring. Lois was a competent career woman portrayed as scooping Clark Kent and being his competitor (and often his better) in the 1930s, when women had only been allowed to vote for ten years. That's pretty damn progressive for that time, and she has remained a well known and popular character since then. Is she used well be DC? That's another story, but I think the fact that Lois isn't used as a character that can carry her own book has more to do with DC's inability to produce anything but mediocre superhero comics than it does her merit. I would read and enjoy a mature book about Lois as a reporter that stayed away from Superman and dealt with her doing what she's famous for, reporting. Reporter stories have a pulp tradition similar to detective stories, though not as well known today. Hell, I'd love to read a pulpy Lois Lane book set in the 30s. Make this shit happen, DC.

Superman sucks.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:19 pm

Damn Punchy, you are getting ripped a new one on Tumblr. :lol:

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:22 pm

How this is going to end up for Punchy:

Damn it, Jude! :smt011 --BK.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 35 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:23 pm

This might be my favorite response: http://therearecertainshadesoflimelight ... r-politics

Fuck you, Punchy, for daring to piss on something after the Boston Marathon. It's like they're an Outhouse poster or something.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:27 pm

BlueMole wrote:Honestly, Lois was one of the first well-developed female comic book characters out there, and is certainly among the most well known. I'd argue that she has more personality than most of DC's other female characters and has been woefully underutilized in recent years as anything other than a romantic interest for Superman. She's also historically been Superman's most critical supporting cast member, the one that continually grounds him and helps to define his humanity. There's a reason why all the evil Supermen stories feature Lois in the ground or with Lois permanently pushed aside. I can certainly see why she's a celebrated character amongst a group of people who are actively trying to push superhero comic book culture towards a less male-centric focus.

The tumblr reaction (like everything else on tumblr) is a frenzied heighten overreaction, but I can see why people are disagreeing with your stance.

I agree with most of what you say here, Lois is very important, and a very good character but she's still secondary to Superman. She's his love interest, not the other way around.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 429 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:29 pm

BlueMole wrote:This might be my favorite response: http://therearecertainshadesoflimelight ... r-politics

Fuck you, Punchy, for daring to piss on something after the Boston Marathon. It's like they're an Outhouse poster or something.

Outhouse posters are far more rational than tumblr users.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:29 pm

BlueMole wrote:This might be my favorite response: http://therearecertainshadesoflimelight ... r-politics

WTF does any of this have to do with Boston?

I even said that celebrating this anniversary was a welcome break from the horrible news going on in the very article.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 343 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:31 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:How this is going to end up for Punchy:

Damn it, Jude! :smt011 --BK.

I elect to go that way too.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 106 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:40 pm

bkthomson wrote:
Yeah, DC Women Kicking Ass already has the OH on their list of sites to take down once they conquer the world.

Comic-game NWO, IMO.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand