Sunday, July 22, 2018 • Morning Edition • "Because comics!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Superman vs. Muhammad Ali Review

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:14 pm

Nice review.

This was awesome. The comments about modern readers is a little weird though... I think this will be loved by anyone who loves fun comics... if you dig Chew, if you dig Atomic Robo, if you can look past the problems of Time Lincoln and revel in the team presented, this is a book I would recommend to you.

One correction though, this is not available in a regular and a deluxe version. It is availble in a Deluxe version which is similar in format to say the Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Steel book or the Red Son or RIP. It is oversized compared to the modern comic, but is not the same size as the original Treasury Edition comic that was the original format of the work. This edition is $19.99 and feature sketches and stuff. The other version is a Facsimile Edition which is printed in the same dimensions of the original release, but hardback. I don't think it has any special features. It retails for $39.99.

The Deluxe Edition is a bargain.

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:17 pm

thefourthman wrote:Nice review.

This was awesome. The comments about modern readers is a little weird though... I think this will be loved by anyone who loves fun comics... if you dig Chew, if you dig Atomic Robo, if you can look past the problems of Time Lincoln and revel in the team presented, this is a book I would recommend to you.

One correction though, this is not available in a regular and a deluxe version. It is availble in a Deluxe version which is similar in format to say the Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Steel book or the Red Son or RIP. It is oversized compared to the modern comic, but is not the same size as the original Treasury Edition comic that was the original format of the work. This edition is $19.99 and feature sketches and stuff. The other version is a Facsimile Edition which is printed in the same dimensions of the original release, but hardback. I don't think it has any special features. It retails for $39.99.

The Deluxe Edition is a bargain.

You and your facts. :x

I had to get the description info from Amazon because DC's site wasn't loading when I wrote this, and I was impatient.

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:19 pm

was just saying. It's a good review otherwise (even if I do disagree with your take on how modern readers will react - this was the best bronze age book I have ever read)

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:24 pm

thefourthman wrote:was just saying. It's a good review otherwise (even if I do disagree with your take on how modern readers will react - this was the best bronze age book I have ever read)

I said it might not be for them, and I think that's accurate. I loved it myself.

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:27 pm

Jude Terror wrote:
I said it might not be for them, and I think that's accurate. I loved it myself.

I don't think Punchy, Twigg or Amlah should be taken into account. :lol:

PDH

penile prisoner

Postby PDH » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:37 pm

According to the forward, the creators of the book needed the approval of Nation of Islam leader Elijah Muhammad, and Wikipedia tells us that Ali himself would only agree to appear if his character could discover Superman's secret identity.

What an odd request from Muhammad Ali, if that is his real name. Oh wait, it's not. I hope Superman was allowed to discover his secret identity for the sake of symmetry.

Good review, Jude. I want to read this comic.

PDH

penile prisoner

Postby PDH » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:37 pm

I've just noticed that you've put 'forward' instead of 'foreword,' in the quote above.

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:44 pm

:smt005
He is the eic.

Eli Katz

OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:07 pm

This is my favorite Superman story, and it is easily Adams' best work. Early in the book, if I remember correctly, there is a street scene with Clark and Lois buying apples (or something) at a fruit stand. It is magnificently detailed. So glad this is being reissued.

Spidey-Man

Postby Spidey-Man » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:25 pm

Even back in the day, the story was considered pretty silly and weak. it was the novelty and the artwork.

Royal Nonesuch

Staff Writer

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:39 pm

PDH wrote:
What an odd request from Muhammad Ali, if that is his real name. Oh wait, it's not. I hope Superman was allowed to discover his secret identity for the sake of symmetry.

It's not the same thing. Cassius Clay isn't a "secret identity," it wasn't even another persona. It was just another name. Then he legally changed his name to Muhammad Ali, so that is his "real name." Cassius Clay isn't some big secret like Clark Kent is.

PDH

penile prisoner

Postby PDH » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:30 pm

Royal Nonesuch wrote:
It's not the same thing. Cassius Clay isn't a "secret identity," it wasn't even another persona. It was just another name. Then he legally changed his name to Muhammad Ali, so that is his "real name." Cassius Clay isn't some big secret like Clark Kent is.

You mean, he's not a real superhero? :?

Spidey-Man

Postby Spidey-Man » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:44 pm

Nah. Just a draft dodger

leave a comment with facebook