Advertisement

Superman Unchained #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1458 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: Superman Unchained #1

Postby Grayson » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:18 pm

Punchy wrote:Clark Kent doesn't need money! He doesn't need to eat.

I don't know why but that really bugs me. It's probably because I am so against making Superman more alien but it really just bugs the crap out of me. Have they actually said that the New 52 Superman doesn't need to eat? I could understand him not needing to eat as much or as often as a human but he should still eat something every now and then, right? :smt102
ImageImageImage

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:43 pm

Grayson wrote:
I don't know why but that really bugs me. It's probably because I am so against making Superman more alien but it really just bugs the crap out of me. Have they actually said that the New 52 Superman doesn't need to eat? I could understand him not needing to eat as much or as often as a human but he should still eat something every now and then, right? :smt102

I don't know if the no eating applies to New 52 Superman, it certainly does for other versions.

Clark doesn't need to eat, he can get the same energy from the Sun, but he does so because he likes to eat (who wouldn't?)

My main point is that Clark Kent does not need to make money to carry on living, his Blog does not have to be profitable.

pastajoe
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 592 posts

Postby pastajoe » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:57 pm

If Clark doesn't need to make money, then he shouldn't be charging $4.99 for a gimmicky foldout issue. I refuse to buy comics that cost that much, it's getting way out of hand.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 553 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:00 pm

In Supergirl they've made references that she hasn't needed to eat or sleep for weeks at a time. The only time she has slept is when she was in her deep-sea Sanctuary and therefore blocked from the sun.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1458 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:11 pm

Punchy wrote:I don't know if the no eating applies to New 52 Superman, it certainly does for other versions.

Clark doesn't need to eat, he can get the same energy from the Sun, but he does so because he likes to eat (who wouldn't?)

My main point is that Clark Kent does not need to make money to carry on living, his Blog does not have to be profitable.

Hmmmm...he should still have to eat every now and then... :P

pastajoe wrote:If Clark doesn't need to make money, then he shouldn't be charging $4.99 for a gimmicky foldout issue. I refuse to buy comics that cost that much, it's getting way out of hand.

:lol:

I did hate that stupid foldout page. There was really no reason why it couldn't have been normal size.
ImageImageImage

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:15 pm

Grayson wrote:
Hmmmm...he should still have to eat every now and then... :P

I think he just eats for pleasure, like in Justice League when he went on a date with Wonder Woman, or the corn bagel in this issue.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 214 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:16 pm

Punchy wrote:
I don't know if the no eating applies to New 52 Superman, it certainly does for other versions.

He does need to do things like pay the rent, though. At least to help maintain his secret ID and stuff like that. And general spending money. He can't be hitting up Lois and Jimmy to pay when they hang out, you know.

And I would think Clark would want to have some sort of self-generated revenue stream.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:17 pm

Punchy wrote:
I think he just eats for pleasure, like in Justice League when he went on a date with Wonder Woman, or the corn bagel in this issue.

He still has to pay for it.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:27 pm

Grayson wrote:

Yeah, the whole Superman acting more alien post-Infinite Crisis has always bugged me. He came to Earth as a baby (or at least a toddler) and raised by the Kents. He's was raised as a human being.

That's why Man of Steel was brilliant. Clark's being a Kryptonian wasn't that big of a deal to him. At least until stuff like The Eradicator and all the K-Tech showed up on Earth. Even them it didn't stop him from feeling like Earth wasn't his home. See Man of Steel #6 for that (It's up at Comixology now. No excuses. Get it)

- Sons of the Desert

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:01 am

And before I forget, Punchy, a "crusading journalist" implies he going to be actually doing some legwork, go out in the field, get some information and actually do some reporting, Bloggers usually just sit on their butts behind the computers and type out their opinions.

I'd rather see Clark going out and reporting on stories and talking to people, which in turn could end up for some reason or another become a job for Superman.

Like mabye (as just an example) for going out to interview some apartment dwellers who are getting evicted from their homes because some company (that turned out to be a front for Lex Luthor, let's say) bought the building and want to tear it down for no apparent good reason. It turns out Lex wants to tear the building down to get to something buried underneath it Superman has to come in and save the day when things get out of hand.

- Sons of the Desert

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 121 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:21 am

Juan Cena wrote:And before I forget, Punchy, a "crusading journalist" implies he going to be actually doing some legwork, go out in the field, get some information and actually do some reporting, Bloggers usually just sit on their butts behind the computers and type out their opinions.

"Usually" implies that it's not what every blogger does. Clark wouldn't be like every blogger. He would use his reporting skills to dig up a story and then use the blog to tell the world without his serious journalism getting pushed to page seven because the Planet wants to know why the latest celebrities aren't talking to each other on page one.

Money might be a problem with this model because, like you mentioned, Clark DOES need some form of income. If anything, he needs laundry money. But being Superman means that he could just go to the bottom of the ocean and bring up some lost Spanish Gold. Or maybe his blog is actually successful. That also happens sometimes.

Whatever the case, Kent ain't Peter Parker. I don't think we need him to worry about income no matter what he chooses for a career. So let's just pretend that whatever he does pays his bills.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:55 am

SuperginraiX wrote:"Usually" implies that it's not what every blogger does. Clark wouldn't be like every blogger. He would use his reporting skills to dig up a story and then use the blog to tell the world without his serious journalism getting pushed to page seven because the Planet wants to know why the latest celebrities aren't talking to each other on page one.

Money might be a problem with this model because, like you mentioned, Clark DOES need some form of income. If anything, he needs laundry money. But being Superman means that he could just go to the bottom of the ocean and bring up some lost Spanish Gold. Or maybe his blog is actually successful. That also happens sometimes.

Whatever the case, Kent ain't Peter Parker. I don't think we need him to worry about income no matter what he chooses for a career. So let's just pretend that whatever he does pays his bills.

Exactly how is he going to spend that Spanish gold? I don't believe Spanish doubloons are considered legal tender on the US. Or anywhere else that matter.

- Sons of the Desert

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 360 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:26 am

Juan Cena wrote:
Exactly how is he going to spend that Spanish gold? I don't believe Spanish doubloons are considered legal tender on the US. Or anywhere else that matter.

And it's not like gold melts, or anything. If it did, then he would have gold, not doubloons. That'd make it easier...

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:10 am

Juan Cena wrote:And before I forget, Punchy, a "crusading journalist" implies he going to be actually doing some legwork, go out in the field, get some information and actually do some reporting, Bloggers usually just sit on their butts behind the computers and type out their opinions.

I'd rather see Clark going out and reporting on stories and talking to people, which in turn could end up for some reason or another become a job for Superman.

Like mabye (as just an example) for going out to interview some apartment dwellers who are getting evicted from their homes because some company (that turned out to be a front for Lex Luthor, let's say) bought the building and want to tear it down for no apparent good reason. It turns out Lex wants to tear the building down to get to something buried underneath it Superman has to come in and save the day when things get out of hand.

Well, he wasn't sitting on his butt this issue, he was stopping a massive fucking satellite from falling to Earth.

The 'legwork' that Clark does is probably mostly as Superman.

It's only been 1 issue! Perhaps we will see Clark's blog work in more detail, you are jumping the gun so bloody fast here.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:10 am

Lord Simian wrote:
And it's not like gold melts, or anything. If it did, then he would have gold, not doubloons. That'd make it easier...

First, gold isn't considered legal tender to begin with, so it's a moot point. You can't walk in and drop a $100 gold coin and buy groceries with it. It's considered a commodity.

And even if you could do that, only gold coins minted by the US government would be considered legal tender. So Supes would technically be counterfeiting.
Some GOP-controlled states are trying to make gold legal tender, BTW. They're probably not actually allowed to do that under the Constitution.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1429041-why-using-gold-and-silver-as-legal-tender-is-an-awful-idea

- Sons of the Desert

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand