Advertisement

Swamp Thing #2 (Calbraith AH Rodgers Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34401
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 52 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Swamp Thing #2 (Calbraith AH Rodgers Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:27 pm

Wow, that was one dense comic, a lot of information was doled out here, and I’m still processing it. Being a relative Swamp Thing neophyte, a lot of it went over my head, but it seems like there’s this big threat coming, and Alec Holland needs to become Swamp Thing in order to defeat it, and the last time he was Swamp Thing was a failure because he actually died. Right? Right. Snyder is walking a difficult tightrope here because the stuff Alan Moore revealed in ‘The Anatomy Lesson’ is basically sacrosanct, but I feel he’s done a good job in keeping what Moore did and also adding to it. I’m certainly intrigued by what kind of Swamp Thing Holland will eventually become, or if he will at all! Even if some readers were a bit flummoxed by this one, it still had fantastic artwork from Yanick Paquette, who really cuts loose here with some exciting and unusual panel layouts. And the ending is an exciting and scary action scene that makes up for the wordiness. A great ending too, Alec was warned to stay away from Abby Arcane, so what’s her agenda?

Advertisement

Chris
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 41347
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 37 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:10 pm
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris


Re: Swamp Thing #2 (Calbraith AH Rodgers Spoilers)

Postby Chris » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:30 pm

Punchy wrote:Wow, that was one dense comic, a lot of information was doled out here, and I’m still processing it. Being a relative Swamp Thing neophyte, a lot of it went over my head, but it seems like there’s this big threat coming, and Alec Holland needs to become Swamp Thing in order to defeat it, and the last time he was Swamp Thing was a failure because he actually died. Right? Right. Snyder is walking a difficult tightrope here because the stuff Alan Moore revealed in ‘The Anatomy Lesson’ is basically sacrosanct, but I feel he’s done a good job in keeping what Moore did and also adding to it. I’m certainly intrigued by what kind of Swamp Thing Holland will eventually become, or if he will at all! Even if some readers were a bit flummoxed by this one, it still had fantastic artwork from Yanick Paquette, who really cuts loose here with some exciting and unusual panel layouts. And the ending is an exciting and scary action scene that makes up for the wordiness. A great ending too, Alec was warned to stay away from Abby Arcane, so what’s her agenda?


No.. there was no last time. Alec Holland was never Swamp Thing. That's the point of the issue. He died before he could become Swamp Thing as he was fated to.

The Swamp Thing we've known up to now was just a creation of The Green.


Anyway, I loved this issue. I loved the developments. I love that Snyder and Lemire seem to be tying their runs together on this and Animal Man.
Image

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34401
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 52 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Re: Swamp Thing #2 (Calbraith AH Rodgers Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:34 pm

Holland Oats wrote:
No.. there was no last time. Alec Holland was never Swamp Thing. That's the point of the issue. He died before he could become Swamp Thing as he was fated to.

The Swamp Thing we've known up to now was just a creation of The Green.


Anyway, I loved this issue. I loved the developments. I love that Snyder and Lemire seem to be tying their runs together on this and Animal Man.


Yeah, but he remembers being that Swamp Thing.

Chris
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 41347
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 37 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:10 pm
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris


Re: Swamp Thing #2 (Calbraith AH Rodgers Spoilers)

Postby Chris » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:37 pm

Punchy wrote:
Yeah, but he remembers being that Swamp Thing.


Well, that's part of the mystery Snyder is working with, yes.
Image

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Re: Swamp Thing #2 (Calbraith AH Rodgers Spoilers)

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:46 pm

Abby's a plant-fucker.
Image

Frag
User avatar
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse
 
Posts: 36000
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 20 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:25 pm
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz


Re: Swamp Thing #2 (Calbraith AH Rodgers Spoilers)

Postby Frag » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:59 pm

The Green needs to STFU. Talk about a wordy comic.

Chris
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 41347
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 37 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:10 pm
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris


Re: Swamp Thing #2 (Calbraith AH Rodgers Spoilers)

Postby Chris » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:13 pm

I like that.

I'd rather have that than $4 comics that I can finish in two minutes.
Image

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Re: Swamp Thing #2 (Calbraith AH Rodgers Spoilers)

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:18 pm

Hmm...the set-ups for both Swamp Thing and Animal Man stumbled just a little bit in how information loads were dealt to readers in their respective second issues. Lots of exposition in both, probably it just means Lemire and Snyder are eager to get things going. I liked ST a little better this month than AM.
Image

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Re: Swamp Thing #2 (Calbraith AH Rodgers Spoilers)

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:22 pm

We should just have one thread to talk about both Swamp Thing and Animal Man.
Image

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34401
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 52 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Re: Swamp Thing #2 (Calbraith AH Rodgers Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:23 pm

Mike Mercury wrote:We should just have one thread to talk about both Swamp Thing and Animal Man.


Why? The connections weren't that massive to my mind.

Frag
User avatar
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse
 
Posts: 36000
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 20 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:25 pm
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz


Re: Swamp Thing #2 (Calbraith AH Rodgers Spoilers)

Postby Frag » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:24 pm

Holland Oats wrote:I like that.

I'd rather have that than $4 comics that I can finish in two minutes.


If it's a good story, it doesn't matter how much dialogue is in it.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.


Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117


Image

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Re: Swamp Thing #2 (Calbraith AH Rodgers Spoilers)

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:27 pm

Punchy wrote:
Why? The connections weren't that massive to my mind.


And just what is massive to your mind?
Image

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34401
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 52 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Re: Swamp Thing #2 (Calbraith AH Rodgers Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:31 pm

Mike Mercury wrote:
And just what is massive to your mind?


I dunno, something a bit more overt than just both mentioning 'The Red'.

Besides, Animal Man is the Review Group book, and we never go off-topic there! :P

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Re: Swamp Thing #2 (Calbraith AH Rodgers Spoilers)

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:35 pm

Punchy wrote:
I dunno, something a bit more overt than just both mentioning 'The Red'.

Besides, Animal Man is the Review Group book, and we never go off-topic there! :P


Oh it is?

Jerks.

I'll start a thread about it later then.
Image

Chris
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 41347
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 37 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:10 pm
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris


Re: Swamp Thing #2 (Calbraith AH Rodgers Spoilers)

Postby Chris » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:36 pm

The President wrote:
If it's a good story, it doesn't matter how much dialogue is in it.


I like to have my money's worth.

But this is a good story.
Image

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck] and 52 guests

Advertisement