Tuesday, May 3, 2016 • Afternoon Edition • "Cyclops was right."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Swamp Thing #1 (Plants can scream Spoilers)

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:32 pm

Now this was good comics. I’ve never really read much Swamp Thing, only the very early Alan Moore stuff, so I was kind of nervous coming into this, would I be lost? Sucked down into a continuity swamp? Thankfully now, Scott Snyder continues to show why he’s one of the comics industry’s rising stars with probably my favourite DC #1 so far. The narration from Alec Holland is interesting, with some truly interesting insights into plant-life, the guest-appearance from Superman was strong, and the scene where those guys had their heads twisted round was creepy as fuck. Snyder is becoming a master of comic-book horror. Add to that career-best work from Yanick Paquette, and you can’t get much better. I guess I’ll need to track down some more classic Swamp Thing now, because this one has it’s roots in me.

MoneyMelon

Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:25 pm

I'm not a big Swamp Thing guy, but Snyder has really become of of my favorites recently. I'm eagerly waiting for the trade of this.

alaska1125

dINGO

Postby alaska1125 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:04 pm

Now this, friends, is a damn fine comic. Beautiful, creepy stuff.

Sromkie

underclassman

Postby Sromkie » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:22 am

alaska1125 wrote:Now this, friends, is a damn fine comic. Beautiful, creepy stuff.

Agreed. After reading all of the new #1s from this week, I would put this at the top of the stack. Now I wish I had gotten two so I could send one to my brother. My LCS was out of them by the time I got home and read my copy.

Actually... aside from Action, they ran out of all of the new #1s. Stuff's going so fast!

eltopo

Twenty-Something

Postby eltopo » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:29 am

Punchy wrote:Now this was good comics. I’ve never really read much Swamp Thing, only the very early Alan Moore stuff, so I was kind of nervous coming into this, would I be lost? Sucked down into a continuity swamp? Thankfully now, Scott Snyder continues to show why he’s one of the comics industry’s rising stars with probably my favourite DC #1 so far. The narration from Alec Holland is interesting, with some truly interesting insights into plant-life, the guest-appearance from Superman was strong, and the scene where those guys had their heads twisted round was creepy as fuck. Snyder is becoming a master of comic-book horror. Add to that career-best work from Yanick Paquette, and you can’t get much better. I guess I’ll need to track down some more classic Swamp Thing now, because this one has it’s roots in me.

I'm looking forward to this book

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:17 pm

A very nice book indeed. Snyder really did some impressive homework on this one. Loved the new 'take' on Holland (did not see that coming). The art was superb. This one's a winner.

eltopo

Twenty-Something

Postby eltopo » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:54 pm

Amoebas wrote:A very nice book indeed. Snyder really did some impressive homework on this one. Loved the new 'take' on Holland (did not see that coming). The art was superb. This one's a winner.

you're a winner

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:40 pm

Art was good, twist has promise. Looking forward to more of this please.

eltopo

Twenty-Something

Postby eltopo » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:55 am

read this last night I really liked it good first issue

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:56 am

The nod to John Totleben was nice.

eltopo

Twenty-Something

Postby eltopo » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:11 am

Yannick Paqieck (sp?)'s layouts in this book were really impressive. That guy continues to get better

e_galston

Staff Writer

Postby e_galston » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:23 am

I really enjoyed this book. Not a big Swamp Thing fan, or Synder fan for that matter, but after meeting him last month at Baltimore Comic Con, and hearing his obvious love for the books and characters he's working on, and his plans for both books, i decided i'd try both Swamp Thing and Batman, and i'm glad i did.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:36 am

this is one i may try digitally once the price drops. love Snyder, but just never cared for Swampy or his stories. but since EVERYBODY seems to be loving it...

avengingtitan

Rain Partier

Postby avengingtitan » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:04 am

I guess I'm the voice of dissent. It wasnt that good. I mean sure it showed promise and I like Snyder but his books arent as good as they were before the reboot.

I have to wonder what Superman was talking about. "The events of the past year." What events? Flashpoint, Brightest Day, Blackest Night, etc?

I cant say I ever read a lot of Swamp Thing and this doesnt really make me wanna come back for more.

I have to wonder how long until artists get sick of drawing all those lines in Superman's costume. I still dont like the collar or belt but whatever.

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:36 am

avengingtitan wrote:I guess I'm the voice of dissent. It wasnt that good. I mean sure it showed promise and I like Snyder but his books arent as good as they were before the reboot.

I have to wonder what Superman was talking about. "The events of the past year." What events? Flashpoint, Brightest Day, Blackest Night, etc?

I cant say I ever read a lot of Swamp Thing and this doesnt really make me wanna come back for more.

I have to wonder how long until artists get sick of drawing all those lines in Superman's costume. I still dont like the collar or belt but whatever.

Based on one comic?

leave a comment with facebook