Advertisement

Tess Fowler: 'Brian Wood is a DICK'

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Rockman
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 27744
Likes: 134 posts
Liked in: 432 posts
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:25 pm
Formerly: AMS


Re: Tess Fowler: 'Brian Wood is a DICK'

Postby Rockman » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:14 am

You guys think this was bad?

Did I ever tell you what an unamed comic creator did to my mother. I think it's hypocritical because he's a known mothers rights activist.

I just think its time that someone spoke up about the rampant mother loving going on in the industry right now.

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 76393
Likes: 486 posts
Liked in: 757 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: Tess Fowler: 'Brian Wood is a DICK'

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:14 am

Rockman wrote:You guys think this was bad?

Did I ever tell you what an unamed comic creator did to my mother. I think it's hypocritical because he's a known mothers rights activist.

I just think its time that someone spoke up about the rampant mother loving going on in the industry right now.


:lol:
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

David Bird
User avatar
phrase IV
 
Posts: 5841
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 15 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:28 pm
Location: Victoria, BC


Re: Tess Fowler: 'Brian Wood is a DICK'

Postby David Bird » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:21 am

ReturnoftheMack wrote:
Exposing someone on Twitter will lead to probably boycotts and make him toxic for a while.


I seriously doubt that. The he-said/she-said nature of this, plus the number of vocal fanboys who've taken his side, plus the fact that males make up the bulk of comics buyers all point in the other direction. In fact, because of this any new project by Wood automatically get a lot of press.

Frag
User avatar
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse
 
Posts: 36000
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 20 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:25 pm
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz


Re: Tess Fowler: 'Brian Wood is a DICK'

Postby Frag » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:23 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
I would think it would be common sense that if there's something you wouldn't want becoming public because it would ruin your career, you shouldn't do it in the first place. I would think that would be a more egregious faux pas than someone telling people about what you did. (In this hypothetical situation where we take everything said at face value)


Look, here's the problem I have with this.

As an educator, one of the things that scares me to death is sexual harassment. I always worry that a student will make that claim just to get me in trouble. Even if I'm innocent, I'm screwed. That's the problem with this. Wood is getting screwed because this story blew up and it turns out that he didn't really do anything that terrible.

Making claims about being sexually harassed by someone need to be treated more delicately than by Twitter.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.


Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117


Image

Frag
User avatar
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse
 
Posts: 36000
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 20 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:25 pm
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz


Re: Tess Fowler: 'Brian Wood is a DICK'

Postby Frag » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:26 am

David Bird wrote:
I seriously doubt that. The he-said/she-said nature of this, plus the number of vocal fanboys who've taken his side, plus the fact that males make up the bulk of comics buyers all point in the other direction. In fact, because of this any new project by Wood automatically get a lot of press.


Time will tell.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.


Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117


Image

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 76393
Likes: 486 posts
Liked in: 757 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: Tess Fowler: 'Brian Wood is a DICK'

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:35 am

ReturnoftheMack wrote:
Look, here's the problem I have with this.

As an educator, one of the things that scares me to death is sexual harassment. I always worry that a student will make that claim just to get me in trouble. Even if I'm innocent, I'm screwed. That's the problem with this. Wood is getting screwed because this story blew up and it turns out that he didn't really do anything that terrible.

Making claims about being sexually harassed by someone need to be treated more delicately than by Twitter.


Well, that's not how the world works today. Because of stuff like Twitter, information spreads rapidly. People's racist halloween costume photos, which might once have been seen by five people and never again, are on the front page of Gawker. If you're in a career where you're a public figure, you have to be careful. You say he didn't do anything that terrible, and I agree there are degrees to things, but the story as relayed by Fowler is at the very least borderline, and, according to her, not the only one. If true, he was taking that risk every time.

I would advise, as a teacher, you don't meet up with your students in a hotel lobby and repeatedly try to sleep with them. Probably, you shouldn't try to sleep with them at all, since they're students and you're a teacher, and it would be unethical. To maybe a little lesser degree, the same could be said of an established comic book pro and an up and coming one, especially if she is making it clear she's looking for a business relationship and not a romantic or sexual one (again, if her story is accurate).
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Frag
User avatar
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse
 
Posts: 36000
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 20 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:25 pm
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz


Re: Tess Fowler: 'Brian Wood is a DICK'

Postby Frag » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:40 am

What I'm saying is that even based on her story, it doesn't seem like he did anything that bad. She didn't even mention her boyfriend.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.


Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117


Image

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 76393
Likes: 486 posts
Liked in: 757 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: Tess Fowler: 'Brian Wood is a DICK'

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:42 am

ReturnoftheMack wrote:What I'm saying is that even based on her story, it doesn't seem like he did anything that bad. She didn't even mention her boyfriend.


If that's true, then now that that story is out, he shouldn't have any problems, right?
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Frag
User avatar
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse
 
Posts: 36000
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 20 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:25 pm
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz


Re: Tess Fowler: 'Brian Wood is a DICK'

Postby Frag » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:45 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
If that's true, then now that that story is out, he shouldn't have any problems, right?


No, because perception is not reality.

People are already sensitive to this. This is an emotional topic and many won't look at this logically. That's what my example was meant to show. Many people will group this with the "sexism in comics" and harassment at cons topic without rational thought.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.


Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117


Image

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 76393
Likes: 486 posts
Liked in: 757 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: Tess Fowler: 'Brian Wood is a DICK'

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:49 am

ReturnoftheMack wrote:
No, because perception is not reality.

People are already sensitive to this. This is an emotional topic and many won't look at this logically. That's what my example was meant to show. Many people will group this with the "sexism in comics" and harassment at cons topic without rational thought.


I don't buy the idea that people can't handle making informed decisions, so they shouldn't be privy to information. Things should be talked about MORE frankly and honestly, and maybe we'll make some headway.
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 76393
Likes: 486 posts
Liked in: 757 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: Tess Fowler: 'Brian Wood is a DICK'

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:52 am

For instance, quite a few sites blocked, heavily moderated, or eventually locked comments on these stories (or refused to report it at all). Here, we kept the discussion open, and while people yelled at each other a little, I think we mostly kept it reasonable.
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Frag
User avatar
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse
 
Posts: 36000
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 20 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:25 pm
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz


Re: Tess Fowler: 'Brian Wood is a DICK'

Postby Frag » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:54 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
I don't buy the idea that people can't handle making informed decisions, so they shouldn't be privy to information. Things should be talked about MORE frankly and honestly, and maybe we'll make some headway.


There is an implication that Wood is a predator.

The story tells us that he was a drunken douche.

Many people will look at what was implied.

And let me ask you (and I'm not saying this to be mean, but because you are open about your past, I think you are a good example), what if I decided to go on Twitter where all my followers were people from your work and started saying I bought drugs from you? Is it fair that you made a mistake and I publish it for the world to see?
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.


Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117


Image

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 76393
Likes: 486 posts
Liked in: 757 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: Tess Fowler: 'Brian Wood is a DICK'

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:01 am

ReturnoftheMack wrote:
There is an implication that Wood is a predator.

The story tells us that he was a drunken douche.

Many people will look at what was implied.

And let me ask you (and I'm not saying this to be mean, but because you are open about your past, I think you are a good example), what if I decided to go on Twitter where all my followers were people from your work and started saying I bought drugs from you? Is it fair that you made a mistake and I publish it for the world to see?


You forget I live in the bay area. I don't think anyone would care. :P

Also, I was not a drug dealer, so if I got you drugs, it would be because we were both doing them together. I think that's a different relationship than the one described in this story.
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 76393
Likes: 486 posts
Liked in: 757 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: Tess Fowler: 'Brian Wood is a DICK'

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:03 am

Now, if I were a drug pusher, and I got you addicted to drugs or something, and you were hearing stories that I was still getting other people addicted to drugs, and you went public, that would be my own fault.
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 76393
Likes: 486 posts
Liked in: 757 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: Tess Fowler: 'Brian Wood is a DICK'

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:08 am

I think another aspect is that Wood is a public figure, like it or not, that means a loss of some privacy.
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bianco and 48 guests

Advertisement