Advertisement

Tess Fowler: 'Brian Wood is a DICK'

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 70 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Re: Tess Fowler: 'Brian Wood is a DICK'

Postby Frag » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:11 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Now, if I were a drug pusher, and I got you addicted to drugs or something, and you were hearing stories that I was still getting other people addicted to drugs, and you went public, that would be my own fault.

The only difference is in this case, I declined your offer of drugs.

And in Wood's case, if she had felt unsafe, she could have had him arrested. But there was no crime. Again, not liking someone because they were a douche to you is fine. Tell your friends. Tell others. Tell your employers. Don't post it on Twitter. You can never take it back.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

Advertisement

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 70 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Postby Frag » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:12 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:I think another aspect is that Wood is a public figure, like it or not, that means a loss of some privacy.

I don't know if I consider him a public figure really. It's not like he's a celebrity.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1142 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:44 am

ReturnoftheMack wrote:
I don't know if I consider him a public figure really. It's not like he's a celebrity.

His name goes on the cover of books and they sell at least partially on its value.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Spektre
Swedish Pinata of Death

Liked in: 340 posts

Postby Spektre » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:19 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
I don't buy the idea that people can't handle making informed decisions, so they shouldn't be privy to information. Things should be talked about MORE frankly and honestly, and maybe we'll make some headway.

Hmmm (strokes chin)...

Except when said person is a young aspiring artist. Then her ability to make an informed decision is impossible. Interesting.
- Continuity is or it is not. There is no such thing as soft continuity.
- A character IS his continuity.
- Continuity is consistency of the characteristics of people, plot, objects, and places seen by the reader or viewer.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1142 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:21 am

Spektre wrote:
Hmmm (strokes chin)...

Except when said person is a young aspiring artist. Then her ability to make an informed decision is impossible. Interesting.

Yeah, I didn't say that. Play with someone else Spektre. I'm trying to revive the Doctor Who thread. :P
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 235 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:41 am

Mack does have a point though. Some labels stick even after someone has been cleared. Rape, pedophile, etc. are toxic words that often linger long after a person has been cleared.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 120 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:10 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
I don't buy the idea that people can't handle making informed decisions, so they shouldn't be privy to information. Things should be talked about MORE frankly and honestly, and maybe we'll make some headway.

That's not what my emails say! :P

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 104 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:16 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
Well, that's not how the world works today. Because of stuff like Twitter, information spreads rapidly. People's racist halloween costume photos, which might once have been seen by five people and never again, are on the front page of Gawker. If you're in a career where you're a public figure, you have to be careful. You say he didn't do anything that terrible, and I agree there are degrees to things, but the story as relayed by Fowler is at the very least borderline, and, according to her, not the only one. If true, he was taking that risk every time.

I would advise, as a teacher, you don't meet up with your students in a hotel lobby and repeatedly try to sleep with them. Probably, you shouldn't try to sleep with them at all, since they're students and you're a teacher, and it would be unethical. To maybe a little lesser degree, the same could be said of an established comic book pro and an up and coming one, especially if she is making it clear she's looking for a business relationship and not a romantic or sexual one (again, if her story is accurate).

You'd have a point here, if what Wood had allegedly done happened today, rather than 8 years ago, before the current social media age really began.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 235 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:36 am

Punchy wrote:
You'd have a point here, if what Wood had allegedly done happened today, rather than 8 years ago, before the current social media age really began.

The current social media age had nothing to do with it. Immoral behavior is immoral behavior.

meinterrupted
Snake On A Plane

Liked in: 4 posts
Title: man-hating straw feminist

Postby meinterrupted » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:40 am

ReturnoftheMack wrote:
:lol: :lol:

You "severely doubt that" and then you do exactly what I just said would happen. :lol:

A group of ~10 people quietly dropping a book does not a boycott make.
in ur comics, fighting ur misogyny

Image Image

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 996 posts

Postby HNutz » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:54 am

meinterrupted wrote:
A group of ~10 people quietly dropping a book does not a boycott make.

1) How "quietly" are you dropping these books? You've told us about it. You've told Marvel about it. Are you the only one of your friends talking about it? Is this the only forum you've mentioned it in?

2) Regardless of the size of your group or how outspoken you are about it, it's still a boycott. From Google:

verb: boycott; 3rd person present: boycotts; past tense: boycotted; past participle:boycotted; gerund or present participle: boycotting1.withdraw from commercial or social relations with (a country, organization, or person) as a punishment or protest.

That is exactly what you're doing. You and your friends are withdrawing from commercial relations with Marvel (and presumably other companies that Wood works for) as a punishment or protest.

So you and your friends are boycotting Wood's books.

meinterrupted
Snake On A Plane

Liked in: 4 posts
Title: man-hating straw feminist

Postby meinterrupted » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:08 am

HNutz wrote:
1) How "quietly" are you dropping these books? You've told us about it. You've told Marvel about it. Are you the only one of your friends talking about it? Is this the only forum you've mentioned it in?

2) Regardless of the size of your group or how outspoken you are about it, it's still a boycott. From Google:

verb: boycott; 3rd person present: boycotts; past tense: boycotted; past participle:boycotted; gerund or present participle: boycotting1.withdraw from commercial or social relations with (a country, organization, or person) as a punishment or protest.

That is exactly what you're doing. You and your friends are withdrawing from commercial relations with Marvel (and presumably other companies that Wood works for) as a punishment or protest.

So you and your friends are boycotting Wood's books.

I was using "boycott" in the sense of an organized and very public boycott, not a personal decision not to do business with someone/something. So, yes, technically I am boycotting Wood's books then.

But, of course, I believe that a personal boycott is definitely warranted, and that opinion is not shared by the majority of men here. I see his actions--especially in the detailed account Tess Fowler released yesterday--to be predatory and exactly the kind of thing the comics industry should be fighting against. My dollars are just as green as anyone's, and I'm doing what I can to only spend them on books and creators I believe in.
in ur comics, fighting ur misogyny

Image Image

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 277 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:19 am

meinterrupted wrote:
I was using "boycott" in the sense of an organized and very public boycott, not a personal decision not to do business with someone/something. So, yes, technically I am boycotting Wood's books then.

But, of course, I believe that a personal boycott is definitely warranted, and that opinion is not shared by the majority of men here. I see his actions--especially in the detailed account Tess Fowler released yesterday--to be predatory and exactly the kind of thing the comics industry should be fighting against. My dollars are just as green as anyone's, and I'm doing what I can to only spend them on books and creators I believe in.

And more power to your arm. Would that more people felt as you do.

oogy
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 167 posts
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535

Postby oogy » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:31 am

I've read this thread over the last few days and don't remember seeing anyone post this yet:

We shouldn't know this.

I'm a fan of Brian Wood's work, but I've never met the guy and won't try to defend his character. I think this is all way overblown. He acted like an ass after his sexual advances were rejected and that should have been the end of it.

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

3MJ

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby 3MJ » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:43 am

I have no idea how to think about all this.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand