Advertisement

Tess Fowler: 'Brian Wood is a DICK'

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 70 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Re: Tess Fowler: 'Brian Wood is a DICK'

Postby Frag » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:06 am

meinterrupted wrote:
I was using "boycott" in the sense of an organized and very public boycott, not a personal decision not to do business with someone/something. So, yes, technically I am boycotting Wood's books then.

But, of course, I believe that a personal boycott is definitely warranted, and that opinion is not shared by the majority of men here. I see his actions--especially in the detailed account Tess Fowler released yesterday--to be predatory and exactly the kind of thing the comics industry should be fighting against. My dollars are just as green as anyone's, and I'm doing what I can to only spend them on books and creators I believe in.

Of course you have the right not to buy Wood's books, but you still proved my point. You and your 10 friends are boycotting Wood's work. Not every boycott needs to be organized. You all also wrote to Marvel - an organized protest.

So if 10 other groups do the same thing, this will severely damage Wood's standing in the industry. Is it deserved? Based on the facts we have so far it's not IMO.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

Advertisement

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1015 posts

Postby HNutz » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:18 am

meinterrupted wrote:
I was using "boycott" in the sense of an organized and very public boycott, not a personal decision not to do business with someone/something. So, yes, technically I am boycotting Wood's books then.

But, of course, I believe that a personal boycott is definitely warranted, and that opinion is not shared by the majority of men here. I see his actions--especially in the detailed account Tess Fowler released yesterday--to be predatory and exactly the kind of thing the comics industry should be fighting against. My dollars are just as green as anyone's, and I'm doing what I can to only spend them on books and creators I believe in.

And that's fine. That's your prerogative. But, when ReturnoftheMack says this:

ReturnoftheMack wrote:
Exposing someone on Twitter will lead to probably boycotts and make him toxic for a while.

and you say this:

meinterrupted wrote:I severely doubt that. I run in a very feminist circle of comics fans, and we've all been following this very closely. No one has tried to initiate a boycott...

But then say this:

meinterrupted wrote:...though several of us have dropped his books from our pull lists and sent (very reasoned) emails to Marvel regarding the situation--mostly because he's obviously a hypocrite.

Well, your statements don't quite mesh.

You say you don't think that "exposing someone on Twitter will lead to probably boycotts and make him toxic for a while" but then you mention how "several of us have dropped his books from our pull lists and sent (very reasoned) emails to Marvel regarding the situation".

Also, you want to avoid his work "mostly because he's obviously a hypocrite."

OOoooookay...? :smt102

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 238 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:27 am

HNutz wrote:
And that's fine. That's your prerogative. But, when ReturnoftheMack says this:

and you say this:

But then say this:

Well, your statements don't quite mesh.

You say you don't think that "exposing someone on Twitter will lead to probably boycotts and make him toxic for a while" but then you mention how "several of us have dropped his books from our pull lists and sent (very reasoned) emails to Marvel regarding the situation".

Also, you want to avoid his work "mostly because he's obviously a hypocrite."

OOoooookay...? :smt102

Is it wrong that I want to know what the feminist trope for dissembling an argument by quoting the argument is?
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 103 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:37 am

I follow comics fairly closely .. and I have no idea who either of these two are.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:41 am

holtom2000 wrote:I follow comics fairly closely .. and I have no idea who either of these two are.

Your statement negates itself. Brian Wood writes X-Men, right now. He has worked with Warren Ellis and has written several highly lauded series for Vertigo and other smaller publishers. If you followed comics closely at all, you would have heard the name. He wrote DMZ, Northlanders, Demo, and Local. Local and Demo being extraordinary independent projects with strong well written female characters. (Which is half the reason the allegations are such a big deal)
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 150 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:43 am

ReturnoftheMack wrote:
Exposing someone on Twitter will lead to probably boycotts and make him toxic for a while.

Which is probably a load of crap. I don't believe that for a second. But if it gives him a wake up call that being a drunk sexual harassing ass isn't ok, then I'm fine with it.

Frag

Postby Frag » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:44 am

alaska1125 wrote:Which is probably a load of crap. I don't believe that for a second. But if it gives him a wake up call that being a drunk sexual harassing ass isn't ok, then I'm fine with it.

It's already been proven one post after mine. :lol:

alaska1125
dINGO

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:51 am

ReturnoftheMack wrote:
It's already been proven one post after mine. :lol:

Feel free to see the post above mine. It's illuminating... :lol: :lol:

Frag

Postby Frag » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:11 am

alaska1125 wrote:Feel free to see the post above mine. It's illuminating... :lol: :lol:

Fourthy's post about Brian Wood's bio? Very enlightening.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:18 am

ReturnoftheMack wrote:

that was my thought too. :drunk

alaska1125
dINGO

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:18 am

ReturnoftheMack wrote:

Doesn't seem like he's hurting for work.

Frag

Postby Frag » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:22 am

alaska1125 wrote:Doesn't seem like he's hurting for work.

This came out 2 days ago. :lol:

alaska1125
dINGO

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:48 am

ReturnoftheMack wrote:
This came out 2 days ago. :lol:

I'd actually put money on the fact that this first hurt Brian Wood one iota work-wise. Don't be silly.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:49 am

alaska1125 wrote:I'd actually put money on the fact that this first hurt Brian Wood one iota work-wise. Don't be silly.

yeahbuwha?

Frag

Postby Frag » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:50 am

alaska1125 wrote:I'd actually put money on the fact that this first hurt Brian Wood one iota work-wise. Don't be silly.

It's been 2 days!!!

And also, I would win that bet because we also know that 10 people dropped his books.

How much money will you send me?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand