Advertisement

Tess Fowler: 'Brian Wood is a DICK'

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 138 posts

Re: Tess Fowler: 'Brian Wood is a DICK'

Postby alaska1125 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:06 pm

I just find it crazy that some here are of the mind "it happens, get over it". It a bizarre frame of mind that I'll never understand. No one with any sense of morality should or would justify this kind of behavior.

Advertisement

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 431 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:26 pm

alaska1125 wrote:I just find it crazy that some here are of the mind "it happens, get over it". It a bizarre frame of mind that I'll never understand. No one with any sense of morality should or would justify this kind of behavior.

What can we feasibly do about this? People act like we have some authority over this because we're a part of the comic book "community", but we don't.

We can control our own actions, we can call our friends out when they act like idiots but I cannot do anything to stop the creeps of this world from being creeps.

You said that you don't think Wood will experience any hurt professionally because of this story. Even if there was an organized boycott on Wood's work and it was actually effective the only thing that it would accomplish is that Wood no longer works for Marvel. What would need to happen is that there was a line wide boycott until something is done. And that's just not going to happen.

If any of that sounds like a "stuff happens get over it" to you then that's your problem. My point is "stuff happens educate yourself and don't let it happen to you"

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:31 pm

And ftr I haven't seen anyone try to justify this behavior.

Frag said it was the actions of a drunken idiot, I took issue with the way he worded his statement and calmly stated that being drunk doesn't excuse us from our actions, he later elaborated on his point and it was reasonable. There are people here who are throwing out accusations and making pretty severe judgements on others character, and honestly I don't see how you can feel comfortable saying that about people based on a couple of paragraphs on the internet but whatever :smt102

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 138 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:55 pm

Rockman wrote:And ftr I haven't seen anyone try to justify this behavior.

Frag said it was the actions of a drunken idiot, I took issue with the way he worded his statement and calmly stated that being drunk doesn't excuse us from our actions, he later elaborated on his point and it was reasonable. There are people here who are throwing out accusations and making pretty severe judgements on others character, and honestly I don't see how you can feel comfortable saying that about people based on a couple of paragraphs on the internet but whatever :smt102

It's a fair point, but just saying"shit happens" doesn't work for me. At least not in a potential scenario like this. We aren't talking about a random encounter between two complete strangers in a bar. We also aren't talking about a one-off (granted, I've only seen one other example of this). If something like this happened in my workplace...hell, let's say I did it...someone gets spoken to at the very least. Since the comic industry is a relatively niche corner of the world, I doubt Wood gets any lack of work out of this. As stated earlier, his apology is probably as good as one gets. But opening a dialogue about shitty drunken behavior in an industry by men toward women? It's a conversation worth having.

(In case anyone us worried, I took my halo off last night.)

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:57 pm

It's impossible to know what percentage of comics readers are women, so it's impossible to know how representative to be.

Generalising, I would say that more men read comics than women, so it makes sense there aren't as many female creators. But then, perhaps if there were more female voices, there would be more female fans.

I personally think comics fans and journalists spend way too much time talking about behind the scenes stuff like this, and not enough actually reading and talking about comics. As the famous saying goes... we shouldn't know this.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:17 pm

That's the thing the hotel bar at the hyatt is not the work place. The encounter did not happen at the convention. The alleged yelling did, but that event is too bizarre for me to take at face value.

If the drunken encounter happened at a local bar far removed from the convention would this be discussed so much? I don't think so, I think the alleged quid pro quo is what gave the story attention it has gotten. I say alleged because in Fowler's own statements nothing says that Wood offered anything of the kind. She might have interpreted that way, but I think it's pretty standard for people who are interested in each other to feign interest in stuff in an effort to impress them.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 739 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:22 pm

Rockman wrote:That's the thing the hotel bar at the hyatt is not the work place. The encounter did not happen at the convention. The alleged yelling did, but that event is too bizarre for me to take at face value.

If the drunken encounter happened at a local bar far removed from the convention would this be discussed so much? I don't think so, I think the alleged quid pro quo is what gave the story attention it has gotten. I say alleged because in Fowler's own statements nothing says that Wood offered anything of the kind. She might have interpreted that way, but I think it's pretty standard for people who are interested in each other to feign interest in stuff in an effort to impress them.

The gathering at the bar was one of professionals and editors though. It's murky, but I don't think it's completely just a casual, non-business environment.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:29 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
The gathering at the bar was one of professionals and editors though. It's murky, but I don't think it's completely just a casual, non-business environment.

Was it a professional gathering or just a gathering of professionals due to the fact that most of them were staying at that hotel. It's not like Stephen Wacker was there signing new talent to the Marvel funny books, at least I don't think so.

I guess I don't know though, it's not like I've ever been on a business trip. But I see a distinction between the convention center and the hotel bar (which I believe are at different locations based on the story?)

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:31 pm

Rockman wrote:
Was it a professional gathering or just a gathering of professionals due to the fact that most of them were staying at that hotel. It's not like Stephen Wacker was there signing new talent to the Marvel funny books, at least I don't think so.

I guess I don't know though, it's not like I've ever been on a business trip. But I see a distinction between the convention center and the hotel bar (which I believe are at different locations based on the story?)

Yeah, that's fair. I don't know either. I just think it's not as clear cut as a workplace/not a workplace. It's something in the middle.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:36 pm

Drinking at a bar after a trade-show is not a workplace, no matter how you feel about it. And again, we're talking about a conflict between a freelancer and a then-not employed person. If you've ever been worked freelance, the laws are not all about extending protections for you everywhere you go, not surprisingly they're very restrictive.
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:39 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Drinking at a bar after a trade-show is not a workplace, no matter how you feel about it.

But it's also not just drinking in a bar, especially as, like someone quoted directly from official information sent out by DC Comics, that DC tells new artists the best way to break into the business is to go to conventions. If companies are telling people "go to conventions and network with people to get into the business," and you go to conventions and get allegedly harassed or quasi-harassed by professionals (and was Wood at the time working for DC through Vertigo?)... I'm not saying I know the answers, I'm just saying it's murky.

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Postby Frag » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:40 pm

The Hyatt is where many creators go to drink after the con. It is a bit of a meat market, but you should think about it like an after party for a show or something.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:41 pm

ReturnoftheMack wrote:The Hyatt is where many creators go to drink after the con. It is a bit of a meat market, but you should think about it like an after party for a show or something.

It may be completely legal but still unethical. I dunno.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:44 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
But it's also not just drinking in a bar, especially as, like someone quoted directly from official information sent out by DC Comics, that DC tells new artists the best way to break into the business is to go to conventions. If companies are telling people "go to conventions and network with people to get into the business," and you go to conventions and get allegedly harassed or quasi-harassed by professionals (and was Wood at the time working for DC through Vertigo?)... I'm not saying I know the answers, I'm just saying it's murky.

Because of tax reasons and insurance reasons, the laws are not all about extending the workplace to "everywhere you go to talk to people". And again: freelancer + not employed person. And I'm sure Wood would say, "I wasn't working, either, duh."

And there's a big difference between DC telling people to go to cons and telling them to go to bars after cons to try and break in. That's just nuts, jude.
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:46 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
Because of tax reasons and insurance reasons, the laws are not all about extending the workplace to "everywhere you go to talk to people". And again: freelancer + not employed person.

It doesn't have to be a legal issue to be wrong. I'm not saying that I know for sure it's wrong, I'm just skeptical that anyone can so easily say there's nothing wrong with it so conclusively.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand