Advertisement

Tess Fowler: 'Brian Wood is a DICK'

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 543 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Re: Tess Fowler: 'Brian Wood is a DICK'

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:47 pm

Certainly, it's a sad environment if the comic industry is encouraging women to go to a place where they're subject to misconduct and no one is doing anything about it.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:48 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
It doesn't have to be a legal issue to be wrong. I'm not saying that I know for sure it's wrong, I'm just skeptical that anyone can so easily say there's nothing wrong with it so conclusively.

Almost no one has said that. Sigh. You're really falling into some bad habits.

To be honest, I think I will retire from the internet for a bit, it is making me hate humanity.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:49 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
Almost no one has said that. Sigh. You're really falling into some bad habits.

To be honest, I think I will retire from the internet for a bit, it is making me hate humanity.

All I'm doing is asking questions.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:52 pm

When I say it's somewhere in-between a workplace and not a workplace, it's not because I think workplace laws should apply to it. It's because I'm wondering if workplace ethics should apply to it. Should there be different ethics in a workplace than in a completely casual encounter? If so, why? If not, then how much do you apply those ethics to something in-between? That's what I'm asking, and when people answer with "it's not a workplace, the laws don't apply there," it's not really addressing what I'm trying to ask.

That's all. I'm not saying I know any of the answers here.

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 19 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Postby Frag » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:54 pm

Questions are find. The problem is the people who think they know the answers.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 74 posts

Postby dairydead » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:06 pm

Alright, i know this is really delayed, but i hope this clears some stuff up.

What Brian Wood did was skeevy, gross, and awkward. It put Miss Fowler in a terrible position, which fits into the larger narrative of women feeling uncomfortable and out of place in the industry and at cons due to assholes like him. This is obviously a huge problem that needs to be addressed, but i took issue with how this was handled.

I come from a world where i deal with angry, screaming, emotional people constantly. Constantly wanting something from me, and losing their shit over it. My job is to work around these emotional situations, talk people down, and reason with them in an adult manner. Almost every single adult i have ever encountered that has been hysterical with me, has been able to calm down and become reasonable. With this in mind, when i see a twitter rant like that, it relates to my personal experience with angry, hysterical people, which is never a positive memory. So seeing her act like this, my immediate reaction to it is that she could have handled it much more calmly and realistically, having been in the receiving end of screaming rants, i just know it helps nothing to "get emotional".

Now, is "getting emotional" something that immediately invalidates an argument? No way. Anyone that has read a post of mine knows that i can get emotional from time to time ( :lol: ); we all do. I'm just coming from a place where i am so used to outrageous rants like this, from the outside looking in, it just looks silly and foolish to me and appeals to the "fixer" mentality that my workplace has instilled in me.

So to put it simply. No, meinterrupted, I am not sexist, I am just adverse to people shouting to get their point across. Be it a male, female, puppy, whatever , I don't like it. Its something I deal with on a daily basis at work, and its not something i appreciate coming from people regardless of who they are. I've just simply learned that a calm, reasoned approach speaks far greater volumes about a person than a poorly written curse-fest like Tess originally wrote. I really appreciate her follow up though, and felt as though it was extremely valid. I agree with her for the most part, and find the sexism in the industry disgusting. As someone who travels at cons with a few exceedingly gorgeous women who happen to be mildly "internet famous", i see the dark side of congoing quite a bit.
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:08 pm

What are some of the dark side things you've seen?

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 19 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Postby Frag » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:10 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:What are some of the dark side things you've seen?

Even though he lives in Detroit, they still prefer African American you racist.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:11 pm

ReturnoftheMack wrote:
Even though he lives in Detroit, they still prefer African American you racist.

:lol:

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Postby dairydead » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:13 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:What are some of the dark side things you've seen?

unwanted touching, young males stalking these girls around the con, asking them sexual questions, etc. I've actually had to initiate some not-so-pleasant encounters with young male congoers throughout the years due to this sort of thing.

I've also seen creators hit on them, and offer discounts on stuff (not a big deal about discounts. they are cute girls, whatever) and in one instance a creator tried to get the girls to head up a big "meet up" where he would show up to talk to "fans" about his work (or more importantly what his work was based on). None of it was overtly creepy, but completely cheesy, awkward, and made me roll my eyes.

Spektre
dINGO

Liked in: 116 posts

Postby Spektre » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:19 pm

alaska1125 wrote:I just find it crazy that some here are of the mind "it happens, get over it". It a bizarre frame of mind that I'll never understand. No one with any sense of morality should or would justify this kind of behavior.

I just find it crazy that some here are of the mind that they have the right to dictate how peaceful individuals should behave. No one with any sense of morality should or would justify this type of behavior.

Maybe this type of person only feels strong when they can force someone else to behave as they desire?
- Continuity is or it is not. There is no such thing as soft continuity.
- A character IS his continuity.
- Continuity is consistency of the characteristics of people, plot, objects, and places seen by the reader or viewer.

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Postby dairydead » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:21 pm

Spektre
dINGO

Postby Spektre » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:21 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
The gathering at the bar was one of professionals and editors though. It's murky, but I don't think it's completely just a casual, non-business environment.

And that editor's bedroom. I mean IT HAS AN EDITOR IN IT! That is clearly on the clock.
- Continuity is consistency of the characteristics of people, plot, objects, and places seen by the reader or viewer.

Spektre
dINGO

Postby Spektre » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:23 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
But it's also not just drinking in a bar, especially as, like someone quoted directly from official information sent out by DC Comics, that DC tells new artists the best way to break into the business is to go to conventions. If companies are telling people "go to conventions and network with people to get into the business," and you go to conventions and get allegedly harassed or quasi-harassed by professionals (and was Wood at the time working for DC through Vertigo?)... I'm not saying I know the answers, I'm just saying it's murky.

"I'm not saying anything done here was wrong. But if you say it wasn't wrong you are wrong."

Jude...Jude...Jude...

Spektre
dINGO

Postby Spektre » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:24 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
It may be completely legal but still unethical. I dunno.

"It may be completely legal, ethical, and sanctioned by the pope...but I still think we can find a way to control it somehow, if only to make me feel just a wee bit more powerful."

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand