Advertisement

The Atom is a woman now? (Justice League #17 Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

The Atom is a woman now? (Justice League #17 Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:13 pm

So today I continued my DC catch-up by reading the Aquaman/Justice League crossover (which I enjoyed, but then I really like Johns' Aquaman), and in doing so, I noticed something that really surprised me, and something that I'm surprised hasn't led to a lot more controversy and discussion than it has.

Now I know that this site doesn't really seem to discuss much DC anymore these days, and that we're all worn out with the reboot's changes, but in JL #17, the new Atom appeared and was a woman!

Is this Atom's first appearance? Do we know anything about her? Is it Jean Loring? Is it a gender-flip? Rayna Palmer? Brianna Choi? What's her deal?

And also, how do we feel about this? Did they really need to change the Atom's gender?

I suppose they at least kept his/her awesome costume.

Advertisement

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 296 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Re: The Atom is a woman now? (Justice League #17 Spoilers)

Postby Zechs » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:24 pm

Punchy wrote:So today I continued my DC catch-up by reading the Aquaman/Justice League crossover (which I enjoyed, but then I really like Johns' Aquaman), and in doing so, I noticed something that really surprised me, and something that I'm surprised hasn't led to a lot more controversy and discussion than it has.

Now I know that this site doesn't really seem to discuss much DC anymore these days, and that we're all worn out with the reboot's changes, but in JL #17, the new Atom appeared and was a woman!

Is this Atom's first appearance? Do we know anything about her? Is it Jean Loring? Is it a gender-flip? Rayna Palmer? Brianna Choi? What's her deal?

And also, how do we feel about this? Did they really need to change the Atom's gender?

If I recall right Ru once said a non Atom Ray Palmer was in Frankenstein.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 236 posts

Postby doombug » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:25 pm

Well good to know that the company continues to be full of shit as they originally said that when they would introduce the Atom it would be Ryan Choi. :smt011

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:27 pm

Zechs wrote:

If I recall right Ru once said a non Atom Ray Palmer was in Frankenstein.

Yeah, he was a supporting character working for SHADE who had invented the shrink-tech.

So who is this woman?

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 396 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:33 pm

Punchy wrote:something that I'm surprised hasn't led to a lot more controversy and discussion than it has.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/sh ... ale-Heroes

Is this Atom's first appearance?

Apparently, yes.

Do we know anything about her? Is it Jean Loring? Is it a gender-flip? Rayna Palmer? Brianna Choi? What's her deal?

Gender flip, from what I read on that aforementioned CBR thread.

I didn't care much about Ryan Choi when he was a guy. I'm only mildly interested now, in a perfunctory "this character is now Asian female" way.

Don't worry; Jim Lee will add a high collar and a choker shortly. :P

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 788 posts
Title: It's a thing
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:38 pm

Punchy wrote:So today I continued my DC catch-up by reading the Aquaman/Justice League crossover (which I enjoyed, but then I really like Johns' Aquaman), and in doing so, I noticed something that really surprised me, and something that I'm surprised hasn't led to a lot more controversy and discussion than it has.

It was the Wasp

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 841 posts

Postby HNutz » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:48 pm

Rayne Palmer?

Don't get me wrong, I'm in favor of diversity, but, just once, for shit and giggles or to see what storytelling options develop, I'd like to see a character turned into a straight white dude.

(Of course, if that happened, he'd probably A) get killed off quickly and/or B) be a bad guy.)

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 788 posts
Title: It's a thing
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:50 pm

HNutz wrote:Rayne Palmer?

Don't get me wrong, I'm in favor of diversity, but, just once, for shit and giggles or to see what storytelling options develop, I'd like to see a character turned into a straight white dude.

(Of course, if that happened, he'd probably A) get killed off quickly and/or B) be a bad guy.)

Jude already appeared as the BeDazzler.

Oh you said straight.

Nevermind.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 482 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:01 pm

Old news sort of. Take a close look at the "Trinity War" promo pic that was released back in May 2012

Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:38 pm

Herald wrote:
http://forums.comicbookresources.com/sh ... ale-Heroes

Apparently, yes.

Gender flip, from what I read on that aforementioned CBR thread.

I didn't care much about Ryan Choi when he was a guy. I'm only mildly interested now, in a perfunctory "this character is now Asian female" way.

Don't worry; Jim Lee will add a high collar and a choker shortly. :P

You pervert!

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:48 pm

During her first appearance (in JL) she made a comment about leaving her "guild" which suggested to me that is possibly someone completely new.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:13 am

HNutz wrote:Rayne Palmer?

Nope, not a Palmer. Her name is Rhonda Pineda.

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:30 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:
Nope, not a Palmer. Her name is Rhonda Pineda.

Same initials - RP :lol:

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:54 am

I didn't even notice that :lol:

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 67 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:59 am

I read it early Wednesday, saw that the Atom was a woman, wasn't Ray Palmer or Ryan Choi.

I didn't post about it because I simply did not care. DC will never understand that force-feeding diversity is the worst thing they do. This Element Woman character is the same deal.

Look. I understand what DC's trying to do. Everyone understands it. Comics are for everyone, and every person should be able to read a comic book and feel that the books are accessible to them, too.

But at the same time, DC can't just run away from its history. Ray Palmer was the original size-changing Atom. It's horrible that the only reason Ray Palmer isn't the Atom is because the character is white. It's horrible.

Integrating characters like Cyborg and Black Lightning and Vibe and Vixen and Katana, creating characters like Simon Baz, are the answer. Find a place for Cassandra Cain and Kimiyo Hoshi in going forward.

If you do those things, use those characters, you don't have to sideline Ray Palmer simply because he was created in a time where there were far more white characters than not. It's just horrible that DC doesn't recognize that.

You can have both. You don't have to hate a character like Ray Palmer, strip away his heroic identity, simply because he isn't diverse.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand