Monday, July 25, 2016 • Evening Edition • "We go in so you don't have to."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

The Atom is a woman now? (Justice League #17 Spoilers)

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:13 pm

So today I continued my DC catch-up by reading the Aquaman/Justice League crossover (which I enjoyed, but then I really like Johns' Aquaman), and in doing so, I noticed something that really surprised me, and something that I'm surprised hasn't led to a lot more controversy and discussion than it has.

Now I know that this site doesn't really seem to discuss much DC anymore these days, and that we're all worn out with the reboot's changes, but in JL #17, the new Atom appeared and was a woman!

Is this Atom's first appearance? Do we know anything about her? Is it Jean Loring? Is it a gender-flip? Rayna Palmer? Brianna Choi? What's her deal?

And also, how do we feel about this? Did they really need to change the Atom's gender?

I suppose they at least kept his/her awesome costume.

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:24 pm

Punchy wrote:So today I continued my DC catch-up by reading the Aquaman/Justice League crossover (which I enjoyed, but then I really like Johns' Aquaman), and in doing so, I noticed something that really surprised me, and something that I'm surprised hasn't led to a lot more controversy and discussion than it has.

Now I know that this site doesn't really seem to discuss much DC anymore these days, and that we're all worn out with the reboot's changes, but in JL #17, the new Atom appeared and was a woman!

Is this Atom's first appearance? Do we know anything about her? Is it Jean Loring? Is it a gender-flip? Rayna Palmer? Brianna Choi? What's her deal?

And also, how do we feel about this? Did they really need to change the Atom's gender?

If I recall right Ru once said a non Atom Ray Palmer was in Frankenstein.

Eric Ratcliffe

Staff Writer

Postby Eric Ratcliffe » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:25 pm

Well good to know that the company continues to be full of shit as they originally said that when they would introduce the Atom it would be Ryan Choi. :smt011

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:27 pm

Zechs wrote:

If I recall right Ru once said a non Atom Ray Palmer was in Frankenstein.

Yeah, he was a supporting character working for SHADE who had invented the shrink-tech.

So who is this woman?

Herald

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Herald » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:33 pm

Punchy wrote:something that I'm surprised hasn't led to a lot more controversy and discussion than it has.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/sh ... ale-Heroes

Is this Atom's first appearance?

Apparently, yes.

Do we know anything about her? Is it Jean Loring? Is it a gender-flip? Rayna Palmer? Brianna Choi? What's her deal?

Gender flip, from what I read on that aforementioned CBR thread.

I didn't care much about Ryan Choi when he was a guy. I'm only mildly interested now, in a perfunctory "this character is now Asian female" way.

Don't worry; Jim Lee will add a high collar and a choker shortly. :P

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:38 pm

Punchy wrote:So today I continued my DC catch-up by reading the Aquaman/Justice League crossover (which I enjoyed, but then I really like Johns' Aquaman), and in doing so, I noticed something that really surprised me, and something that I'm surprised hasn't led to a lot more controversy and discussion than it has.

It was the Wasp

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:48 pm

Rayne Palmer?

Don't get me wrong, I'm in favor of diversity, but, just once, for shit and giggles or to see what storytelling options develop, I'd like to see a character turned into a straight white dude.

(Of course, if that happened, he'd probably A) get killed off quickly and/or B) be a bad guy.)

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:50 pm

HNutz wrote:Rayne Palmer?

Don't get me wrong, I'm in favor of diversity, but, just once, for shit and giggles or to see what storytelling options develop, I'd like to see a character turned into a straight white dude.

(Of course, if that happened, he'd probably A) get killed off quickly and/or B) be a bad guy.)

Jude already appeared as the BeDazzler.

Oh you said straight.

Nevermind.

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:01 pm

Old news sort of. Take a close look at the "Trinity War" promo pic that was released back in May 2012

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:38 pm

Herald wrote:
http://forums.comicbookresources.com/sh ... ale-Heroes

Apparently, yes.

Gender flip, from what I read on that aforementioned CBR thread.

I didn't care much about Ryan Choi when he was a guy. I'm only mildly interested now, in a perfunctory "this character is now Asian female" way.

Don't worry; Jim Lee will add a high collar and a choker shortly. :P

You pervert!

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:48 pm

During her first appearance (in JL) she made a comment about leaving her "guild" which suggested to me that is possibly someone completely new.

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:13 am

HNutz wrote:Rayne Palmer?

Nope, not a Palmer. Her name is Rhonda Pineda.

Johnny Smith

rubber spoon

Postby Johnny Smith » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:30 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:
Nope, not a Palmer. Her name is Rhonda Pineda.

Same initials - RP :lol:

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:54 am

I didn't even notice that :lol:

ElijahSnowFan

cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:59 am

I read it early Wednesday, saw that the Atom was a woman, wasn't Ray Palmer or Ryan Choi.

I didn't post about it because I simply did not care. DC will never understand that force-feeding diversity is the worst thing they do. This Element Woman character is the same deal.

Look. I understand what DC's trying to do. Everyone understands it. Comics are for everyone, and every person should be able to read a comic book and feel that the books are accessible to them, too.

But at the same time, DC can't just run away from its history. Ray Palmer was the original size-changing Atom. It's horrible that the only reason Ray Palmer isn't the Atom is because the character is white. It's horrible.

Integrating characters like Cyborg and Black Lightning and Vibe and Vixen and Katana, creating characters like Simon Baz, are the answer. Find a place for Cassandra Cain and Kimiyo Hoshi in going forward.

If you do those things, use those characters, you don't have to sideline Ray Palmer simply because he was created in a time where there were far more white characters than not. It's just horrible that DC doesn't recognize that.

You can have both. You don't have to hate a character like Ray Palmer, strip away his heroic identity, simply because he isn't diverse.

leave a comment with facebook